• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stuck Cleaning Patches

JoeBUtah

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2012
Salt Lake City, UT
This seems like a silly thing to post about, but I have a problem with cleaning patches getting stuck in my Remington 700 5R barrel.

I am using a J Dewey rod and Brass Jag, and some patches that are labeled '.30 Cal, 2" x2" ' If I put a whole patch down the barrel, it'll get stuck. If I cut them in half, it's easier, but at about 23" down the 24" barrel, I'm struggling. I can pass them easily down the barrel if I cut the patch in half again. Is that the solution? Should I be using a Jag for a .270 perhaps?

Re: Stuck Cleaning Patches

I stopped using the "traditional" 2x4 patches and long serrated edge jag a long time ago.

Switched over to using smaller "spike" jags and Tetra Gun .30 Cal patches. They are 2" x 1" and you fold them over....gives you up to 4 passes with each patch depending on how fouled they become. Very rarely now ever have any problems..if I do it is generally because I have not pierced the patch in the centre.

Only thing I've noticed from batch to batch is the thickness of the material varies so that some can be folded and pass through a .308/.303/8mm/30-06 no problem, but some are a little thicker and can be a little tighter. I then cut them in half as you are doing and they work fine.

I wouldn't be tempted to go back to the old serrated style jag again.

Certainly recommend having a look at the Tetra "system"

Try not to stop, and push the patch all the way through the bore in one motion.

You may have to hold onto the gun with your other hand.

Have you tried a Parker-Hale jag yet? Anymore, that is all I use, no irregular folds to contend with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWILLIAMS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Push harder. </div></div>
Thats what she said!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWILLIAMS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Push harder. </div></div>
Thats what she said! </div></div>

You young guys just don't get it do ya??? If you put 'enough' in the last flippin thing you will hear over the screams is "push harder"!!!

I do cut the big patches in half for my 6mm but in the 30 cal I just ram it to her and out comes a white patch.