• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stuck on stock vs chassis for build

dannyryan007

Private
Minuteman
May 16, 2011
Washington State, USA
I am trying to build up my rem700 308 for long range target/hunting. Well long range-ish. With a 20" barrel I doubt that I will be able to reach out past 1000 to touch something. But, anyway...
I am working with somewhat of a budget, and even then, it will take time to get all the pieces together but the 2 options I'm looking at are:
-the mdt lss chassis ( MDT LSS Chassis for Remington 700 Short Action )
-and the bell and carlson medalist m40 ( Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist Style 4 Series 1000 Long Range Remington 700 Short Action & 1001 Long Action Stock )

Right off the bat, the m40 looks cheaper, but after factoring in bottom metal, inletting, magazines, and the furniture for the chassis, the final cost for each before tax is within $30 of the other (right around $750 for everything including magazines)

So... With the final vision being a dbm long range "tactical" hunting rifle: should I go with the chassis or the more traditional stock? And why?

Since you indicated that you plan to hunt with the rifle, you might want to consider other factors such as weight, handling, etc, and how they will fit your hunting style and terrain.

I have a AAC/SD with the factory Hogue. I shimmed the action and filed out some of the material at the forend to maintain free-float under bipod load. I have gotten it out to 1040 yards with 175 FGMM and have grouped .77 MOA (4 2/3 ") @ 600 yards. However, I just prefer a pistol/vertical grip and have been looking into the same things as you (I will be hunting with this rifle also). I have decided to go with the XLR Element chassis which is pistol gripped/AR type platform that comes inlet for AI mags. $600 + mag. Lightweight and getting outstanding reviews here on snipershide and elsewhere. Great CS too from what I hear. Soon as I sell one of my pistols this weekend, will be making the order. Good luck with your decision...lots of choices out there.

I stuck a Remington 700 aac 16.5in barrel 308 in a MDT LSS chassis. The chassis fit pretty well but I did have to relive it in some areas for that perfect fit. After reading many threads on chassis and action fit it seems that not all factory actions are machined perfectly the same. Not a big deal to fit one anyway. I did glass bed mine, for the hell of it, but probably not necessary. The gun shoots great groups and weighs in about 9.5 lb with scope. May not be a light enough mountain carry rifle but just fine in brushy south Texas.

From what I gather the LSS. Will be lighter than the stock, with Ar-15 grip and stock of my choosing. The main benefit I can see with the m40, is I would be able to go in stages.. Buy the stock, a use it as a bdl set-up, then buy the bottom metal, ten some mags, then get it inlet for the bottom metal... It would be cheaper in incriminates, but cost the same in the long run...
I do like the traditional stock look/feel, but I dig the modular/simple appeal of the LSS...

I wanted a LSS chassis before I used one. They are light but that's where the benefits end. The forend is too short to do anything but mount a bipod. With a bipod mounted the handstop area on the front of the forend is also damn near useless. With the bipod off and running it offhand your thumb and finger tips are on the barrel.

B&C stocks work ok but every one I've had has had a lot of flaws and on one the bedding block was super crooked. For the same price I'd opt for a used takeoff HS Precision. It shouldn't run you nearly $750 for everything either, you're looking at $250 shipped for a takeoff stock, $75 for inletting, and $75 for a AI mag assuming the bottom metal you use doesn't come with it. That's only $400, you can get the PT&G stealth or flush mount for right at $100. The LSS will cost you $400 for the chassis, $75 for a mag, plus whatever you go with for a stock so it actually ends up costing more for a less functional stock.

I'm more of a match shooter but I do have several (well, according to my wife, WAY too many) hunting rigs, but my $.02 worth here would be to see if anyone you know has either setup...or maybe BOTH...and shoot them, handle them, see how they fit YOU and your shooting style. Then make your choice. Me, I must have been the ergonomic model for Choate Machine when they made some of their stocks..they fit me just right, are the right weight for THE KIND OF SHOOTING I DO and have never caused me any sort of "fitting grief". I'm not nuts about the black material, but the aluminum bedding and all machining seems to be pretty danged good. (not to mention that I am a cheap sucker and they are pretty reasonably priced) DSCF0247.JPG I just clean them up and paint to get the "look" I want. (see the pic of the .308 Savage) The only thing I have added to any of them is a Karsten vertically adjustable cheek piece and I am happy as a pig in mud with the setup. That being said, I DO have one of Gary Eliseo's Competition Long Range Prone chassis setups for a 6.5 Creedmoor I had built on order (should get it in the next 3 or 4 weeks...been waiting what seems like FOREVER!!) A couple of guys I know are shooting them in our long range varmint matches and they seem like they should suit me fine. Kind of expensive, though...mine is going to be $1000.00 PLUS!!!

FWIW, I have a B & C that I stuck a 1500 HOWA .308 barreled action into as an experiment. (Never had a HOWA and figured the only way to really see if I like them or not was to play with one) The barrel channel needed straightening out (it was a little crooked and pretty uneven in size, but otherwise seems OK though I haven't really shot that thing much.

The problem is I don't have anyone I know around here that is really in to shooting, therefore, no setup a to try.
But, after now hearing about the xlr element system, I might have to give that another look. Only $35 more than the LSS and seems to have fixed the aforementioned problems with the LSS. Ftw

FWIW I did what redneck advised you to do. I bought a HS take-off $225, PTG Stealth with 10rd mag $180, & $45 to have the inletting done.