• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stuck on the fence: thinking of selling some gear

WiSluggo

Minuteman
Feb 21, 2017
Guys, I used to be big into reloading and practicing my marksmanship. Took and new job, and had a very cute kid and I realized that I haven’t been to a rifle range in over two years.
A few years ago, I spoiled myself and got a AIAT folder, SFP, got the barrel threaded, and enjoyed shooting it. But now I find myself considering selling my gear. It’s only stuff and I feel I could pick up another one in the future. Am I being shortsided with my desire to sell some things? I don’t need the cash other than for my land cruiser.

If so inclined to pull back, mothball everything, don’t sell. A lot of us went through the same thing.....it’s called life.

Depending on equipment/supplies and how long you’re away, it could be worth 4 to 6 times what you paid for it. If you sell now, you may never get it all back.

Desires and hobbies change - it happens. I'm currently selling a couple of Beretta O/U sub gauge 2 barrel sets that I haven't shot in 4 years. I just don't see myself shooting them vs all the other cool stuff I have. It took me about a year to come to that realization. You're not less of a father because you don't have reloading gear in your basement.
However...I don't know how old your kid is or whether they are mature enough to go shooting, but I recently had my 3.5 year old at the local range, shooting a Savage Rascal with a red dot, bipod, and rear bag, at a paper plate at 5 yards. He absolutely loved it and I found it to be a fulfilling experience as well.

My little girl is almost 2, and I don’t think I would sell everything. Just maybe the AIAT and a few handguns. I’d still keep my 223 for fun, and probably the scope for something in the future. She already has a little 22 and 410 combo.
Mostly I got the AIAT because I got super into reloading. I sold my coax press and in my new home I don’t have a shop to reload. Hell, due to the move I am not even a member at a gun club.

Best just get a good, secure locker and put it all away. Things you have now will never be duplicated again. Pull the batteries out, lube all the metal and moth ball it. Leave a little note to yourself describing your frame of mind and situation just before you seal the container. Call it a "Time Capsule"....

Hobo

James 4:14
New King James Version
whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away.

Put them away for another time. I sold off a bunch of stuff about 20years ago. If I had held on to them I wouldn’t be replacing them now. Some of the stuff I’ll never be able to replace. If you don’t need the money keep them. Guns might be harder to come by in years to come, you just never know.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton