• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Stuck One!

TXCOWDOC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2010
Aggieland (College Station, TX)
I was loading for my buddy's 300 Win Mag and tinkered with some Trail Boss. Capacity was 20 grains. Per Trail Boss' instructions one could go as low as 70% of capacity. Well, let me tell you that 14 grains isn't enough to push that Barnes TTSX out of his 26" barrel. Talk about an Oh Sh*t moment. Luckily it was only about 1" from the muzzle. I put some Break Free down the pipe and let it sit a while while I cleaned my rifle and then pushed his bullet out from the breech end with my Tipton rod. FWIW 20 grain gave us 1300 fps.

Re: Stuck One!

I bet the trail boss would work at higher charges better with the Barnes as the info you were given was more than likely developed for lead jacketed bullets. The Barnes require more powder/pressure to get to similar velocities of their jacketed counterparts. Good to hear you got it out though.

Re: Stuck One!

I'm curious about the selection of the TTSX for a subsonic load. Is that just what you had on hand or was there some specific reason for using lead-free?