• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stuck suppressor need help...

J Ferry

Private
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2021
Idaho
New to the forum and to suppressors. Received my SilencerCo omega 300 and when installing the ASR mount I read the instructions wrong and applied rocksett to the threads then tightened onto the suppressor. I did not use a torque wrench just my hands. A couple days later I read that rocksett was only supposed to be applied to the barrel threads for the brake. When I went to remove the ASR mount with the supplied wrenches it didn't budge.

I've researched and tried removal options others have posted, to include leaving in hotwater overnight, putting in the freezer, using a propane torch to heat, using a leather strap wrench, tapping with a rubber mallet and ordered a vox blox. This morning I applied some penetrating oil to the mount and let it sit for the day. Got home and put it in the vox blox and first tried the SilencerCo wrenches, no go. Used the propane torch to heat where the mount screws into the suppressor and then a pair of channel locks on the ASR mount and the mount started turning and I thought I had it but noticed the mount was turning with the silver part that is attached to the suppressor and was moving independently of the suppressor body itself. First question is did I ruin my suppressor and if not does anyone have any suggestions. Thank you.

• Wow
Reactions: Bender
My first suggestion is to never let a pair of channel locks near your suppressor.

The second thing is to soak it in water for up to 48 hours. Of you need to dip your can in water no big deal.
Thank you for the reply. Channel locks did not touch the suppressor, just the asr mount. I guess I can leave it in water over the weekend and try again.

Thank you for the reply. Channel locks did not touch the suppressor, just the asr mount. I guess I can leave it in water over the weekend and try again.
By suppressor I meant nothing gun related. Channel locks have teeth on them that will gouge the crap out of just about anything. They are for plumbing not gun smithing.

Some channel locks have smooth jaws but most don't.

When you soak it maybe agitate it every few hours. Just make sure water is in contact with the seam in question.

Reactions: Bender
Mechanic here. I would go the other way. Freeze it or just freeze the adapter and it should shrink enough to crack. If not cold and hot usually work. The sell freeze stuff in a can to loosen bolts at oreillys

Reactions: 308pirate and J15
Just curious how hot you got it with the torch? I think the melting point of the rocksett is around 300 degrees. Are you heating the outside of the can or the ASR mount? If it's the outside of the can the ASR mount may be acting like a heat sinc and not actually letting the rocksett get to 300 degrees. Get a cheap harbor freight infrared thermometer and check the temp of the mount and the can. Just bring the temp up slowly so both components get to 300.

Just curious how hot you got it with the torch? I think the melting point of the rocksett is around 300 degrees. Are you heating the outside of the can or the ASR mount? If it's the outside of the can the ASR mount may be acting like a heat sinc and not actually letting the rocksett get to 300 degrees. Get a cheap harbor freight infrared thermometer and check the temp of the mount and the can. Just bring the temp up slowly so both components get to 300.
I've been applying heat to the mount and bottom of the suppressor where they meet.

Are you using anything to measure the temp? You would be surprised how long it takes to get everything in the vicinity up to 300 when you aren't just parking the torch in one spot.

• Haha
Reactions: clcustom1911
Lots and lots of heat will overcome rockset.

Are you using anything to measure the temp? You would be surprised how long it takes to get everything in the vicinity up to 300 when you aren't just parking the torch in one spot.
No I wasn't just been moving the flame around the whole thing but I will get a temp gun and try that.

I had a factory rem barrel I was trying to take off a while back and ended up having to use heat to get them apart. It probably took a good 10-15 minutes to get the whole area around the action and recoil lug warmed up evenly to 300 degrees.

Lots and lots of heat will overcome rockset.
This is where I've been kind of paranoid a little. Can damage come to the suppressor somehow as a result of to much heat, within reason? I know it would with a oxy/acetylene torch but I wouldn't think so with a handheld propane torch because of how hot they get while being shot but I don't know...

I had a factory rem barrel I was trying to take off a while back and ended up having to use heat to get them apart. It probably took a good 10-15 minutes to get the whole area around the action and recoil lug warmed up evenly to 300 degrees.
Ok good to know

Water will break down Rockset. You might have to soak or dip it for a day or two. Rockset is meant to take high temps, that is why it used for suppressor mounts.

From the manufacturer:
Untitled.jpg

See where it says resists temps up to 2015° Fahrenheit? Your propane torch ain't gonna do shit. And you wouldn't want to subject your barrel to that kind of heat in any case.
As others have stated, soak the rocksetted joint in water.

I've seen this a couple times. I haven't had much luck with the water methods or the heat methods.......pretty sure a suppressor/brake gets hotter than 300 degrees. I like to give it a few hits with a brass hammer in the 3,6,9,12 fashion. Be mindful not to beat up the item in question......yes a work hardened brass hammer can damage steel. This impact method tends to "crack" the rockset and it comes off easily after that.

In your particular case. I use a 5/8-24 mandrel I made with a jam nut setup on it. I can beat the shit out of the mandrel to crack the rockset and tighten on the jam nut and then crank the mandrel and brake out as a unit. Simply unscrew the jam nut at that point and unscrew the mandrel from there. Pretty simple.

Hopefully that helps and gives you some ideas other than the water or heat methods.

Ern

Reactions: J Ferry
From the manufacturer:
View attachment 7591298
See where it says resists temps up to 2015° Fahrenheit? Your propane torch ain't gonna do shit. And you wouldn't want to subject your barrel to that kind of heat in any case.
As others have stated, soak the rocksetted joint in water.
I've tried 24 hours in hot water to no avail. The suppressor is not stuck on a gun, it is just stuck to the asr qd mount.

Water is the answer. Heat is not your answer.

soak it for a good long while, days or a week if need be and try again. Rocksett is specifically
Made to resist heat. Only way to get it off with heat is to torch it off with an oxy acy torch which I don’t think you want to do.

Water is the answer. Heat is not your answer.

soak it for a good long while, days or a week if need be and try again. Rocksett is specifically
Made to resist heat. Only way to get it off with heat is to torch it off with an oxy acy torch which I don’t think you want to do.
No I'd rather not use oxy on it. Didn't check the heat range of rocksett just assumed it wasn't that high. The guy at silencerco told me not to use anything hotter then a propane torch so I just assumed. I guess I'll let it sit in some water over the weekend and then try it. Really appreciate the responses.

Try the impact idea too. If you have an old crappy barrel with 5/8-24 muzzle threads you can use that too. You just need something to transfer impact to the brake without beating up the brake mounting shoulder. If you are not worried about salvaging the brake.....you can beat on it directly.......but why wreck it if you don't have too.

Try the impact idea too. If you have an old crappy barrel with 5/8-24 muzzle threads you can use that too. You just need something to transfer impact to the brake without beating up the brake mounting shoulder. If you are not worried about salvaging the brake.....you can beat on it directly.......but why wreck it if you don't have too.
The suppressor isn't stuck on the barrel/brake. Just can't get the asr qd mount free from the suppressor.

Yep, thats what I am taking about.

In my experience, hitting the asr qd mount will shatter the rockset bond and unscrew out of the suppressor just fine. I've done the same technique with rocksetted surefire brakes on barrels......probably a few hundred by now.

I can't speak to your mechanical aptitude or tool availability......so YOU have to decide how far you can and should go. Sometimes you just need to bite the bullet and send it off to a professional......like Silencerco in this case.

Reactions: Baron23
Wait a minute are talking about the end cap of the suppressor being rockset on to the main body of the suppressor?
No just the asr in the suppressor. I just got a little confused when you started talking about using a crappy barrel and then you mentioned a brake. I'm pretty handy with a wrench and Commercial Refrigeration is my field but just got nervous when messing with it. Damn things take for ever to get approved and don't want to have to start over as a result of my stupidity.

Ok I'm a dumbass. I googled Silencerco ASR mount and realized you are not talking about the muzzlebrake to suppressor interface......you are talking about the QD rear cap to main body interface.

I would send that bitch back to Silencerco and chalk it up to a learning experience. You don't want to wreck your can trying to monkey fuck it at home.

At least if Silencerco wrecks it......they can replace it.

Reactions: camocorvette
Ok I'm a dumbass. I googled Silencerco ASR mount and realized you are not talking about the muzzlebrake to suppressor interface......you are talking about the QD rear cap to main body interface.

I would send that bitch back to Silencerco and chalk it up to a learning experience. You don't want to wreck your can trying to monkey fuck it at home.

At least if Silencerco wrecks it......they can replace it.
No you're good man. I'm gonna try it in water longer and if doesn't work after that I'll probably bite the bullet and send it back and wait the month or two for silencerco's turn around.

It sounds like the parts you need to crank on might be pretty fragile......at least compared to a nitrided or inconel muzzlebrake adapter. Please disregard my impact rockset fracturing method above......this works great on rocksetted muzzlebrakes only.
Will do

I’ve seen some reports of people putting the suppressor/device in boiling water. I’d try that for an hour and see what happens. It won’t hurt anything to try

Per the Flexbar Rocksett tip page...
"The only way to break a proper Rocksett bond is to soak the part in hot water for 20 minutes or more and then forcibly remove the components." I have let a muzzle brake sit in boiling water for about 45 minutes (on the stove) and it worked...

I’ve seen some reports of people putting the suppressor/device in boiling water. I’d try that for an hour and see what happens. It won’t hurt anything to try
Yep tried it, then when I couldn't get it loose put it back in the water, not boiling just the hot water, and left it for 24 hours.

Per the Flexbar Rocksett tip page...
"The only way to break a proper Rocksett bond is to soak the part in hot water for 20 minutes or more and then forcibly remove the components." I have let a muzzle brake sit in boiling water for about 45 minutes (on the stove) and it worked...
Put it in boiling water for an hour and it wouldn't budge. Then put it back in water for a day but still nothing. Gonna try leaving it in water for the weekend and see.

Yep tried it, then when I couldn't get it loose put it back in the water, not boiling just the hot water, and left it for 24 hours.
👍
Those are very course threads between the brake and the mount so it may take longer then normal. Most people braking that loose are taking them off 1/2-28 or 5/8-24 threads

Damn just came here to say water and heat. Have ya tried heating the muzzle up? After a water soak blast some rounds and get that can nice and heated. Try torquing it off then? Careful not to go ham on it. I tried to muscle a sico brake on a ruger American rifle once. Thought I could make it work and line it at 12 o’clock position.... I couldn’t. When trying to torque it back off I unscrewed the barrel from the action 😩

edit... shit I thought too you rockset the QD lock to the muzzle brake but I see now it’s the ASR QD to the can itself..

Last edited:
Roger long soak it is
I still think the longer soak will help

I think I read it wrong and seen asr mount stuck to asr brake. Which would be a bit easier as you could get a wrench on the brake. I was thinking those threads when I mentioned the above

Second the boiling water for Rocksett. I believe the rolling boil helps the water "work it's way in", although I could totally just be making that up.

The last one I dealt with wasn't budging after my usual 15 min boil... so I left the muzzle in a pot on the stove, rapid boil, for 45 mins. I attacked it while it was still hot, and it popped right off.

Wear thick gloves.

Any chance placing it in a cheap ultra sonic cleaner would help? We use them to separate Ti parts with red loktite. Water and agitation could help