• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Stuck suppressor- need ideas

Kpurdue04

Private
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2004
West Texas
Went shooting today with a buddy. We shot approx 100 rounds of 223 from an AR through my YHM Phantom QD 7.62 can. I am unable to get the can to detach from the QD mount. I removed the QD mount from the rifle. I pulled to c-clip and removed the spring loaded collar. I've soaked Rem Oil and LIGHTLY heated with a torch. Still unable to get it off. YHM is close for the day so Im unable to call them. I dont want to damage this expensive piece of equipment. Anyone have experience with this problem???

Re: Stuck suppressor- need ideas

I'd suggest putting the QD back on the rifle, then heat the suppressor near the QD point. The mount on the rifle shouldn't come off easy. It may help to smack it lighty with a rubber mallet. How long has set on the rifle after the range session?

adahj.jpg

I would not heat anything with a torch, try a heat gun, I also would not tap it even with a rubber mallet. My 7.62 sd got stuck on my whisper once and when I tried to take it off the mount also came off. It was really just a quick temporary setup to begin with.

Here is what worked for me. Clean the threads and mount. Make sure they are at room temperature. Use the mount thread lock or a small dab of locktight and let it dry overnight or at least 24 hours at room temperature. After installing the mount properly I was able to put the grip on the can to unscrew it without the mount folowing. Let me know if that works or how you end up getting it off.

Yep, barrel vise and strap wrench. Heat gun if needed. Use nickel anti-sieze in the future, it will help prevent this from happening again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stacyp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep, barrel vise and strap wrench. Heat gun if needed. Use nickel anti-seize in the future, it will help prevent this from happening again. </div></div>+1

Strap wrenches and nickel anti-seize are your friend.
Don't mess with the regular anti-seize, it is not high temp enough.
Unfortunately you won't be able to find it at your local auto parts store. (It is most often used in aviation.)
416uJQvrfdL._SS500_.jpg

Amazon.com or your local airport will be your quickest sources.

Lowes, Ace, or Home Depot have strap wrenches that will fit the bill nicely.
41PZ%2BcDiJhL.jpg

Hopefully you already have a barrel vise setup. (Otherwise how the hell did you get it on there?)
372329.jpg

If not, get one from Brownells or Midway.

Good luck and go slow!!!
Remember the time more so than the money that you have invested.
You can always send the suppressor along with the mount to YHM.
Just be humble and tell them that you screwed up and need some help.
(Even if you don't think it is your fault, it will make the process much smoother for you.)

Regardless, I honestly can't see being a silencer owner without owning these three additional items.
They really are essential tools.
(FWIW, A little bit on anti-seize goes along way.)
Rockset is also nice to have for mounting, but really isn't required.

If you are a cheap bastard, I'd be willing to mail you a dollop of anti-seize in a zip lock if need be.
One bottle of that stuff should last several lifetimes.

I got it off today. I let it soak over night in rem oil. Took it to my gun shop and placed the can in a vise with silicone pads. One person held the can while a second turn the QD mount. There no damage to the can or mount. There is some carbon on the threads holding the can onto the QD mount.

I have two YHM Phamtom .223's with the same problem. I've tried everything listed above so far but no luck. I was thinking of boiling them for an hour or so in my boil out tank tomorrow when I blue. Has anyone had any luck with that?

I have two YHM Phamtom .223's with the same problem. I've tried everything listed above so far but no luck. I was thinking of boiling them for an hour or so in my boil out tank tomorrow when I blue. Has anyone had any luck with that?

If you boil them the metal will expand in the heat. Could potentially make the issue worse.
I carry a brass brush and anti seize with me. Brush your threads off real well and apply some anti seize.
If that does not work you are just going to have to live with it.

I use a rubber strap wrench to put torque on the suppressor and then take a rubber mallet and thump the suppressor on the muzzle end towards the breech end while torque is being applied. It takes a couple thumps but they usually pop off without further issue.

Then get yourself some nickel anti-sieze (the silver kind) and make sure the threads get lubed up with that prior to reassembly.

We've been through a very sturdy strap wrench, barrel vise, beating, soaking in oil, the ultra-sonic cleaner. Boiling works really well for stuck shotgun chokes and black powder breech plugs so I'm not sure how it would make it worse than stuck.

Go for it. Same effect as shooting a couple mags thru it and using a welding glove to remove it....

We've been through a very sturdy strap wrench, barrel vise, beating, soaking in oil, the ultra-sonic cleaner. Boiling works really well for stuck shotgun chokes and black powder breech plugs so I'm not sure how it would make it worse than stuck.

Well it ain't no good like it is.....

I had that problem ONCE. YHM QD 762 titanium. I had run it up til it stopped clicking and then hand tight against the QD mount. I could not break it loose once it cooled down after my shooting session. I wanted to swap it to another gun but it was not cooperating. Finally ran some more rounds thru it and was able to break it loose while hot with a makeshift strap wrench. I did have to hold backup on the flats of the adapter with an open-end wrench held by my buddy.

I cured this by only tightening until it stops clicking then BACK IT OFF ONE CLICK. It does not affect accuracy or anything else as far as I can tell. Nor does it back off during use due to the simple but effective ratcheting mechanism. I also lube the acme threads on the mount with a small amount of the aforementioned anti-seize just for shits and grins, but NOT JAMMING IT TIGHT is the key. YMMV

ETA: To be able to check for yourself if it backs off during use WITHOUT getting burned, just use a regular pencil and put a match mark on the suppressor and adapter. A visual is all it takes to put your mind at ease. If your marks no longer match up, then the suppressor has moved.