• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Stuck Thunder Beast

jackinfl

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2008
Fort lauderdale, Fl
A buddy has a Ultra-7 30 CB that is stuck on. We've tried shooting it a few rounds to get it warm, nothing.
Tapped with hammer near CB mount, nothing.
Heating with heat gun, nothing.

Next up is locking the Proof CF in barrel vise and trying a strap wrench.

Looking for suggestions please.

Reactions: BPGuru
My take on the op is that the can is stuck to the mount and he’s looking for help removing the can not the CB mount.

Guys,
Ray was super helpful. We got the can off.
THEN another one spun the break off. Ray's comment is TRUE. I used 271, should have used 272 and the brake would have stayed put.

Dealing with Alpha males who think hand tight means GORILLA TIGHT... The tapered shoulder has so much contact area that you do not need anything more than snug.

How'd you get the can off?
The first one came off the brake with 2 large mammals. 1 holding the rifle, the 2nd twisting the can.

The 2nd, different can, came off with the brake. Totally my fault for using the wrong loctite. Ray explained that the temperature exceeded the holding strength. I cleaned the threads, muzzle and break very well. Reapplied High temp. 272, let set for 24 hours and boom the can spun off.

Again, my mistake. Thunder Beast knows what they are doing, I just have to read the instructions...

Reactions: jcam
Have one CB brake that continually stuck an Ultra 7 no matter what I tried. Suppressor never stuck on other CB brakes. To remove I screwed in 5/8"x 24 bolt with jam nut in brake and locked bolt head in vise. Used strap wrench on can to remove stuck brake. Pulled the brake off that particular rifle and trashed it and just use a 30P1 direct thread on it now.

FWIW, in my non-expert experience, high temp, high strength Loctite holding the brake to the barrel, along with a light coat of copper anti-seize on the CB threads is the ticket.

As for the method of tightening the can to the mount, I use a "wrist snap" technique... Basically get it finger tight, back it off 1/4 turn or so, then grip it firmly (though not hard) and spin it on as quickly as possible using a snapping motion of my wrist (while letting go of the can as I snap). Done correctly, the inertia from the spinning can (and your hand doing the spinning) results in the can spinning past the "finger tight" point mentioned earlier by a bit, but not too much. I have only ever had one stick one time, and it was easily loosened once I had an assistant to hold the can while I spun the rifle.

🤷