• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Stuck with Grizzly

1SMALLJOHNSON

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2007
Tallahassee, FLORIDA
Folks,
I received a bunch of gift certificates to Grizzly for Christmas and birthday. I've since scoured the internet and found significant price differences on similar tooling that I want. Called Grizzly customer service and they won't allow me to "cash in" the certificates. Got to use them at Grizzly. While I assume their quality is good to better, I'm disapointed with their willingness to work with me, and due to price differences and stance on the gift certificates, I won't be doing business with them after this next purchase.

By the way, anybody want to buy my certificates?

Since I appear to be stuck, I'm looking into insert tool holders and inserts. Seems Grizzly uses some codes on their inserts that I can't cross reference. I don't want to buy a tool holder and get boxed into a corner, forced to only purchase inserts from Grizzly. So, there's a stand-up threading tool holder, WT1R-2020K-4 that uses MTTR 436002 inserts. Those inserts are listed on the Mitzubishi carbide website, but not the same number. I'm thinking these inserts are like more common T something or other stand up threading/grooving inserts sold on USA Carbide, but don't know. Further, I can't find a seller of the Mitzubishi inserts to find price/availability. Looked on MSC and Grainger, and used Yahoo search to look for a supplier. Nada. Only Grizzly.

Can anyone confirm what this MTTR insert might also cross-reference to? Further, given I'm looking for tool holders that will fit my tool post (3/4" capacity), anybody got ideas as to the best money spent at Grizzly? I'll keep looking, but they ain't making it easy on me. Lesson learned. I don't mind a company being competitive in their nature about their information, but if they're unwilling to "justify" the price or utility of a tool, why would I want to buy from them?

Re: Stuck with Grizzly

Sorry, but I am not surprised they won't let you cash them in. I do not know of a place that will. They are essentially getting a guaranteed return by you holding their gift certificates.
As for Grizzly...most of their tools and tooling is made in the same factories as other big names. I have heard good reveiws about many of their tools. Give them a go.

Josh