• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stunning leather ammo book

CygnusX1

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2019
Quebec, Canada
Is this nice or what ?
This would look great on a bench and even on a mat !

Attachments

• IMG_2490.JPG
    IMG_2490.JPG
    186.6 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_2494.JPG
    IMG_2494.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_2496.JPG
    IMG_2496.JPG
    182.1 KB · Views: 183
I have made a few of those in the past. The problem is, the salts used in the leather tanning process will corrode brass in short order, and the longer it sits, the worse it gets. This is one case where Nylon is the better material.

Man, I did not think of that......

The only way to go around this and still enjoy this nice leather ammo book is to put the rounds in the book before going to the range and use'em all that same day (y)

I have made a few of those in the past. The problem is, the salts used in the leather tanning process will corrode brass in short order, and the longer it sits, the worse it gets. This is one case where Nylon is the better material.

Which is also why you dont want to store your pistol in a leather holster.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
@HogsLife is there any common leather that doesn't have these problems for guns and ammo?

Chrome tanned leathers use salts which is why it’s so corrosive to steel. One of the reasons Veg Tan leathers are the go to for sheaths, gun leather, saddles etc is it’s the least corrosive to steel and doesn’t irritate the skin. Veg tanned leathers are the only way to go when it comes to gun leather, sheaths etc. Its not the chemicals used in the tanning of the veg tan leather like when using chrome tanned, but more the fact that leather in general retains a bit of moisture (humidity). In addition to using veg tan leather, there are ways to add extra protection such as melting bees wax or paraffin wax into the rough side of the leather when making the sheath / holster and a light coat of oil on your steel doesn’t hurt either.

All that being said, you still do not want to store for EXTENDED periods of time in your sheath / Holster / scabbard etc.

edit: Not to recommend it but I will add that I’ve kept a few of my less used knives in veg tanned leather sheaths for extended periods of time (ie years) and have yet to have any issues with corrosion.

$200 for that is not a bad price. There’s a lot of work that goes into making one of those.

if you’re interested in one of those in nylon, I would recommend reaching out to @softcock here on the Hide. He does great work.

Last edited:
I'm not that into leather for gun stuff personally. I'm mostly a kydex fan. I appreciate the look of it especially @HogsLife stuff. I brought him into this cause if there is anybody here that knows leather and guns it'd be him. Also thought some of the assertions above sounded a little wrong. There is more than one way to tan leather.

Reactions: HogsLife
I'm not that into leather for gun stuff personally. I'm mostly a kydex fan. I appreciate the look of it especially @HogsLife stuff. I brought him into this cause if there is anybody here that knows leather and guns it'd be him. Also thought some of the assertions above sounded a little wrong. There is more than one way to tan leather.

thanks bro. ??. Yeah there’s literally a metric ton of different types of tanning. 99% of what I use is Vegtable Tan Due to the tooling / stamping I do. It holds the tooling, gives nice crisp impressions and is moldable. The other types (ie finished leathers), not so much.

Many years ago when I was shooting HiPower Match an OLD shooter gave me a leather box that held just the right amount of rounds for each stage with slots for sighters on the side of it. Probably the best gift I ever got for doing that.
It was made just for shooting Match and having every round you needed when going on line for whatever stage and not going over or under lacking ammo.
You loaded your clips or magazines from that leather box and you were always good as to round count to include sighters.

He was about 80 YO and had reached the end of his cycle of shooting when he gave it to me. He told me it had been given to him by someone he called OLD and he had used it for many years and I too used it for many years as did my son.

When he gave it to me he told me,"Use this and when you are done give it to someone you think will be good at it and tell them to pass it on when they are done."

I did as asked but do now wish I had it back so others could be made. It was nice.
He did caution me about leaving ammo in it as it would get what he called"greegree" on rounds left in it so it was always empty when put away.

Verdigris.

Don’t leave brass in leather. Nickel plated helps a lot.

Amazon 99% of the time is made in China. Not saying thats bad, but gives you better insight to that 200 dollar price.

However, according to the manufactures website, they have a facility in Kiev, Ukraine.

Still likely pennies on the dollar so not a bad margin.

Chrome tanned leathers use salts which is why it’s so corrosive to steel. One of the reasons Veg Tan leathers are the go to for sheaths, gun leather, saddles etc is it’s the least corrosive to steel and doesn’t irritate the skin. Veg tanned leathers are the only way to go when it comes to gun leather, sheaths etc. Its not the chemicals used in the tanning of the veg tan leather like when using chrome tanned, but more the fact that leather in general retains a bit of moisture (humidity). In addition to using veg tan leather, there are ways to add extra protection such as melting bees wax or paraffin wax into the rough side of the leather when making the sheath / holster and a light coat of oil on your steel doesn’t hurt either.

All that being said, you still do not want to store for EXTENDED periods of time in your sheath / Holster / scabbard etc.

edit: Not to recommend it but I will add that I’ve kept a few of my less used knives in veg tanned leather sheaths for extended periods of time (ie years) and have yet to have any issues with corrosion.

$200 for that is not a bad price. There’s a lot of work that goes into making one of those.

if you’re interested in one of those in nylon, I would recommend reaching out to @softcock here on the Hide. He does great work.
-
Leather is warm and has soul..There some really talented people out there all over the world doing leather design, cut and stitching . They make leather into Art in items like, Shoes/boots, Bags/purses, Gloves, wallets, jackets, Holsters, Auto upholstery , ..etc . and there still a lot of guys out there that work weeks on one item and never touch much on the machines and do it all by hand, cut, dye, glue, punch every hole and one by one set every stitch-knot by hand .
The Leather craft discipline is so in-depth with taking a short lifetime in gaining knowledge in getting proficient in the art, I wish I had the drive to branch out and do another 20 -30 years into sewing and learn leather and tooling .

Many years ago when I was shooting HiPower Match an OLD shooter gave me a leather box that held just the right amount of rounds for each stage with slots for sighters on the side of it. Probably the best gift I ever got for doing that.
It was made just for shooting Match and having every round you needed when going on line for whatever stage and not going over or under lacking ammo.
You loaded your clips or magazines from that leather box and you were always good as to round count to include sighters.

He was about 80 YO and had reached the end of his cycle of shooting when he gave it to me. He told me it had been given to him by someone he called OLD and he had used it for many years and I too used it for many years as did my son.

When he gave it to me he told me,"Use this and when you are done give it to someone you think will be good at it and tell them to pass it on when they are done."
U
I did as asked but do now wish I had it back so others could be made. It was nice.
He did caution me about leaving ammo in it as it would get what he called"greegree" on rounds left in it so it was always empty when put away.
There's a lot more to leather than meets the eye !!
Thanks for sharing all of this guys (y)

Hey Foul Mike....Any chance you have a picture of the old leather box ?
From the sounds of it, it could have been made in the late 1800's. Would'nt that be cool !

Sig P230 in Kramer horsehide IWB for thirty + years. It was carried daily for years and has always been a nightstand gun. The 230 has been in the holster continuously. For the last fifteen years it has been kept on the lower shelf of the nightstand a foot from a cracked window. We live on the north Oregon coast which means constant temp. swings and major humidity. The 230 has been occasionally wiped down with Break-Free and the holster has never been treated in any way whatsoever. There is and never has been any rust whatsoever.

So there are two companies to get kudos. Sig for the metallic composition of the slide and their bluing process. Kramer for the use horsehide which is a denser leather than cowhide and vegetable tanning. The holster is old enough that it may have been made by Greg himself while he was "the" holster maker. On his current website he claims his holsters may be lifetime holsters. Mine is about thirty years old. If you examine it closely, another thirty seems quite reasonable. https://www.kramerleather.com/pages/about

Sig P230 in Kramer horsehide IWB for thirty + years. It was carried daily for years and has always been a nightstand gun. The 230 has been in the holster continuously. For the last fifteen years it has been kept on the lower shelf of the nightstand a foot from a cracked window. We live on the north Oregon coast which means constant temp. swings and major humidity. The 230 has been occasionally wiped down with Break-Free and the holster has never been treated in any way whatsoever. There is and never has been any rust whatsoever.

So there are two companies to get kudos. Sig for the metallic composition of the slide and their bluing process. Kramer for the use horsehide which is a denser leather than cowhide and vegetable tanning. The holster is old enough that it may have been made by Greg himself while he was "the" holster maker. On his current website he claims his holsters may be lifetime holsters. Mine is about thirty years old. If you examine it closely, another thirty seems quite reasonable. https://www.kramerleather.com/pages/about

Very nice work (y)(y)(y)

From the Kramer leather FAQ page:
WHAT TYPE OF TANNING IS USED IN YOUR LEATHER?

KRAMER horsehide holsters are made with Bark tanned horsehide. Our cowhide holsters use vegetable tanned leather. The advantages of these tannages is that they provide a leather that will not cause your weapon to rust or corrode the way chrome tanned leather can do when the gun is left in it for extended periods of time. Chrome tanned leather is loaded with salts and chemicals that can destroy the finish on your gun. Want to know if a piece of leather is tanned using the chrome process? Simply cut a splinter size silver of leather and hold a flame to it. If the resultant fire has a greenish flame, the leather has been tanned using a chrome process.

Exactly like Hogslife said above (y)

Veg tan is fine for holsters, but it will still corrode brass.

Veg tan is fine for holsters, but it will still corrode brass.
Well, since brass is softer, it would be more suceptible to corrosion so we're gonna go back to square one and store safely my ammo in a locked ammo box (Thats the law in Canada) and the evening before a trip to the range, I'll transfer some (holds 40) in this stunning leather book and have a nice display on the bench and even on the mat.....

I don't know what it is about this ammo leather book......I'm finding excuses to buy one :love:
The ammo won't be in it for extended periods :LOL:

Well, since brass is softer, it would be more suceptible to corrosion so we're gonna go back to square one and store safely my ammo in a locked ammo box (Thats the law in Canada) and the evening before a trip to the range, I'll transfer some (holds 40) in this stunning leather book and have a nice display on the bench and even on the mat.....

I don't know what it is about this ammo leather book......I'm finding excuses to buy one :love:

That’s a nice book for sure. Looks to me like he’s using a “waxed” leather which offers additional protection when it comes to corrosion. I’m sure youre brass will be just fine.

Reactions: CygnusX1

Its a beautiful "luxury" item.

Great thing is that we live in a capatilist economy that gives us choices.

Id never deny someone there desires.

Its a beautiful "luxury" item.

Great thing is that we live in a capatilist economy that gives us choices.

Id never deny someone there desires.

I don’t think anyone can deny that we like nice things. Myself included ?Alot of these rifles we’re shooting are considered “luxury” items to most. Lol. $200 is a drop in the bucket compared to $6k rifle / scope combos.

Last edited: