• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Stupid AI mag question

craigp40

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2005
SW PA
Guys, I know this is a stupid question, but I gotta ask.

I bought a rifle last year chambered in 243AI that has an AI stock. I thought the mag held 5 rounds, but I can only fit 3 in the damn thing. This particular mag is a 308 mag and sits flush with the bottom of the stock. Does AI even make a 3 round mag? Or do I need to do something to this one to fit 2 more? The rear height of the mag is roughly 2.5".

Re: Stupid AI mag question

The shoulder is blown out since it's an Ackley, but the parent case is the 308 - same case head.

Should hold 5 rounds. .243 is based off the .308 so the capacity should be the same.

check OAL on the rounds. If they are longer than 2.90 they may be getting squeezed halfway down the mag and sticking, not allowing the other two to load... ?

It's not the OAL. I'm testing with casings only. I was able to force 4 shells in, but no way is the 5th gonna make it.

I think it has something to do with the lack of taper on the 243 Ackley casing. When I use my 7-08 shells, 5 go in with no problem. I wouldn't have thought this to be an issue as long as the case head diameter remained the same as the 308. Anyone else seeing this or have a solution?

Used mag? You pop the bottom plate off to make sure no one jammed something in the bottom of the mag to make capacity less....maybe to make it legal for hunting in some state?

My brand new mags have been tight for 243, but they fit and loosen up some.

The case diameter isn't the same on Ackley rounds. It has a straight case. The 243 win, 7-08, 260 rem, 308 win all have a taper to the case.

Can you see if the shoulder in the 243 AI is hitting the retaining ridge on the side of the mag?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrp3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The case diameter isn't the same on Ackley rounds. It has a straight case. The 243 win, 7-08, 260 rem, 308 win all have a taper to the case.

Can you see if the shoulder in the 243 AI is hitting the retaining ridge on the side of the mag? </div></div>

It will and it does. The AI blows out the cartridge walls, changes the shoulder angle and pushes it forward slightly. The shoulder will contact the guide ridge in the mag and you won't be able to get more then three into the mag.

Well that sucks. Guess I gotta live with it for now. Maybe I'll have to put more thought into going with a standard 243 when I rebarrel to a faster twist.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: craigp40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well that sucks. Guess I gotta live with it for now. Maybe I'll have to put more thought into going with a standard 243 when I rebarrel to a faster twist. </div></div>

Honestly with some of the fast barrels now days the .243 AI is not all that. Get a .243 match chamber throated for the 107's or the 115 DTACS and have fun, but that's just me.