• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stupid FN SPR Question

Jeremy45

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 1, 2010
Odessa, TX
Is there any reason I can't reinstall an SPR barrel after it's been removed? Since it's shouldered the extractor cut should line up the same every time correct?

I am wanting to have a new barrel put on but don't know if the old is junk at that point or should it be kept with the rifle?

Thanks,
Jeremy

I'm interested also, I have a SPR that I might re-barrel to 25x47LAPUA in the near future. The factory barrel still has alot of life left and is very accurate!

Just torque to the recommended torque (I don't remember what recommended torque for SPR/Win 70 is) and confirm that the extractor cut lines up and your good to go

I'm interested also, I have a SPR that I might re-barrel to 25x47LAPUA in the near future. The factory barrel still has alot of life left and is very accurate!

The factory barrel can be removed and reinstalled on the same receiver without issue. Use witness marks or just torque until the extractor cut lines up.

But, rebarrelling with a blank will require a Smith to make the extractor cut so it times correctly with the extractor, at the correct torque value.

You "sometimes" can take a barrel from one SPR receiver and move it to another. The thread lead from one receiver to the next generally starts in about the same place, so it can work. But, not always.

Last edited: