• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stupid Fudd range rules?

Bender

Known Troll
Minuteman
  • Feb 12, 2014
    Cheyenne WY.
    It has come to my attention that there are ranges with really stupid rules? Having been born and raised in Wyoming, 90% of my shooting has been public lands, ie not a range. Now that I live in Cheyenne, very little public lands, it necessitated that I join a range, out west of town is a great outdoor range with the common basic and logical rules. Lots of handgun, shotgun and rifle bays with steel to 1000. Zero issues.

But I just read some really stupid stuff that happens at other ranges? Shooting speed limit? Must be trained at the range to carry that gun while at the range? Must listen to some Fudd boomer line Nazi on whatever he decides is relevant? What country do you guys live in?

And I want to hear your best/worst stories and rules. Go.

I shit you not, there is a range near here run by the county that makes you zero your rifle, write your rifle serial number on the target, and any time you go back you have to show the zeroed target with the serial number. Went once, never went back.

I went to a range near Denver once that required you to go down range during the cease fire with everyone else and only look at your target. If your friend was shooting next to you, you weren't allowed to discuss targets downrange. They also kept ALL brass that hit the ground. Cease fires were every 15 minutes.

The county range here requires you to sit through a safety class before shooting, even as a member, all brass that falls in front of the line is theirs.

I visited a range in Bowling Green, Kentucky that also keeps the spent brass, doesn't allow reloads, and has a range officer watching at all times.

No fucking way is some dipshit going to tell me I can't keep my brass.
    Had a place try to tell me I couldn’t and had zero signage. Guy said it was dangerous to pick up my brass, but the fact he was trying to put a push broom between my legs while I was shooting was okay. Needless to say we had words and he fucked off.

It’s free money that’s why they want it.

The range I belong to has one employee working at a time. He’s in the clubhouse/store. We self RO ourselves. We sign ourselves in and out. Clubhouse closes at 5:00. We must be out by dark. Only rules, other than your basic safety rules; no tannerite, don’t shoot the steel with AP bullets, must be certified (4” group at 200 yards, and sit through a safety video) before shooting on the 1000 yard range. I’m not sure about the NRA requirement.

On the good side, what I consider my home range is, check in on the way in, check out on the way out. Members only with guests. About 1000 acres and 7-8 different ranges, known and unknown distance steel out to a mile.

I normally avoid public ranges like the plague, but there are times where I just gotta bite the bullet and go to one. For me it's the people at public ranges that annoy me, not the rules. Anyways, most annoying rule for me is the no rapid firing rule. I once joked with a RO who was complaining I was shooting too fast and I made a joke saying next time I'll bring a musket so I won't shoot so fast. Dumbass thought I was serious and then told me that black powder isn't allowed. 🙄

No full-auto.

Screenshot_20220605-175210_Brave.jpg

most public ranges here don't allow rapid fire or double-taps, the exception being if you rent a private bay.

• Wow
    Reactions: WaltHer
    I shit you not, there is a range near here run by the county that makes you zero your rifle, write your rifle serial number on the target, and any time you go back you have to show the zeroed target with the serial number. Went once, never went back.
    Either we live in close proximity or they must be doing that as a standard practice at other county run ranges.

What a joke...

I thought it funny when our sort of local stopped allowing you to bring your own steel and stopped no guests allowed until the owner told me the state and insurance company were making it harder and harder to even keep the doors open the strange rules wern't so funny after that now they have had to install cams all over the place and as he stated lights and they are not even open past sundown . I just wonder what they will do next at least for now there doors will continue to stay open .

Spent some time in CT and it was $20 just to shoot from a 50 yd bench outdoors with fire rate restrictions. Didn’t really matter tho because CT is gay enough to limit to 10 rounds in a mag. Tried to be cordial with the clearly out of touch RO and that got me nowhere. One of the blessings of COVID I got to be back in the midwest for good

I drove a lot for work for a few years, brought guns for various reasons, sometimes bought (a long gun) on the road. Have visited maybe 20 out of ton ranges and shot on... like two. It seems the default is hilariously bad range rules and unpleasant range nazi stuff.

Non-membership but still once-a-month safety brief, or so on. Shoot 1 round every 10 seconds. No drawing. No offhand rifle fire. Baffles with like 6" firing ports. "Long range" is 100 yds. No magazines over 10 rounds (no state law, just the range rule). Only one round in the gun at a time. All ammo must be purchased from the range. No suppressors. No SBRs. No photographing targets. All guns must be inspected by their gunsmith and he's not here today anyway. Open to the public but... on a federal reservation so without already being a /member/ can't get guns through the gate. Etc etc. Just utterly random rules and terrible communication (1/3rd are just closed in violation of their posted hours) that make it hard to even conceive of shooting at them.

in most cases that is actually because ranges tend to get their insurance through the NRA...and the NRA requires the membership.

we used to have NRA insurance at our range until they started adding more and more fucked up requirements we needed to follow....so we told them to get fucked....
    Somebody has to pay for Wayne Lapierre's suits and hookers.

The gun club I belonged to was a good range at one point but went down hill when true Fudds (trap shooters) took over the BOD.

I asked the club if 50 BMG was allowed. I was assured (in writing) that I was good to go. Bought my 50 and headed to the range. Got the extremely large gun case out of the truck and this warranted a visit from the RO. He asked what was in the case and I told him a 50 BMG rifle. He told me to pack up, that I could not shoot to 50 at the range. It was against the rules. I packed up and called the president of the club. He remembers giving me permission to shoot a 50 BMG but that was done by mistake. 50 bmg rifles are banned at the range.

So I've sat with this rifle in the safe for many years now and have never been able to shoot this one.

Th
    That's some dumb ass shit......and I live in Komifornia.

The gun club I belonged to was a good range at one point but went down hill when true Fudds (trap shooters) took over the BOD.

I asked the club if 50 BMG was allowed. I was assured (in writing) that I was good to go. Bought my 50 and headed to the range. Got the extremely large gun case out of the truck and this warranted a visit from the RO. He asked what was in the case and I told him a 50 BMG rifle. He told me to pack up, that I could not shoot to 50 at the range. It was against the rules. I packed up and called the president of the club. He remembers giving me permission to shoot a 50 BMG but that was done by mistake. 50 bmg rifles are banned at the range.

So I've sat with this rifle in the safe for many years now and have never been able to shoot this one.
    Going to shoot a fifty for the first time at my club this week . Was assured it's GTG . Club is behind Philly Police Academy / Philly Swat / Philly Bomb Squad . Hope that there is no issue .
    Edit: Also gonna shoot two CMP Garlands for the first time .🥳

Reactions: WaltHer and Bender
    So I will say...after working as an RSO at a public range for a month....a lot of the bullshit rules that ranges institute....while I still don't agree with them...I at least understand.

The average person with a firearm is straight up dangerous....

Ive seen people pull out their sidearm, behind the firing line, and "load up their carry ammo to go home"

Breaking the 180 is an hourly occurrence

People shooting the ceilings.....the floor.....the fucking stall dividers.

Sometimes range rules are absurd for no reason.....sometimes there's a bubba to blame.
    I always load up ccw and go home? Isn’t it safest done on the range? Or in the parking lot? Rhetorical question, I get it. Fudds will ruin the 2A.

I never leave the local indoor place without more brass than I walked in with. I load up my carry gun on the line before I leave. That’s different than some dipshit flagging everyone in the back of the range.

My primary range is https://honeyisland.org/
    only 100yd rifle, 25 yard pistol.
    $75/year/family or $6 a day/person
    Shot there as a youngster. Not bad but crowded and small. This is the new squeeze. Owner is super cool as has been nearly everyone I have run into.

67731242-A76D-4C93-AD80-ABA78DB22D53.jpeg

Btw- there is no one trying to sweep brass from under your legs.

Last edited:
    Indoor ranges make you watch a 15 minute safety video which isn't bad but I felt it was cruel and unusual punishment for the few guys that went there to commit suicide. Poor people who can't wait to depart this place had to watch that video for 15 fucking minutes before taking a CQB round to the head.

Same as the people holster shopping at the LGS with their CCW. Even if they are "conscientious" enough to unload it first, right there in the store.

The range I belong to has one employee working at a time. He’s in the clubhouse/store. We self RO ourselves. We sign ourselves in and out. Clubhouse closes at 5:00. We must be out by dark. Only rules, other than your basic safety rules; no tannerite, don’t shoot the steel with AP bullets, must be certified (4” group at 200 yards, and sit through a safety video) before shooting on the 1000 yard range. I’m not sure about the NRA requirement.
    Why the 4” group at 200?

On my 500 yard back yard range there are five rules. Coopers four plus "keep out, you're not me, it's mine."

Reactions: TRP173 and BurtG
    So I will say...after working as an RSO at a public range for a month....a lot of the bullshit rules that ranges institute....while I still don't agree with them...I at least understand.

The average person with a firearm is straight up dangerous....

Ive seen people pull out their sidearm, behind the firing line, and "load up their carry ammo to go home"

Breaking the 180 is an hourly occurrence

People shooting the ceilings.....the floor.....the fucking stall dividers.

Sometimes range rules are absurd for no reason.....sometimes there's a bubba to blame.
    +1 "All rules are event driven."

I'm spoiled.

$50/yr. No NRA requirement.

No 50's and no AP on steel. There's a flag to put up while you're shooting, and flashing lights to turn on if you're going down range.

Nobody works there. We have NRA certified RO's for matches, but no staff. All run by a board. This means nobody gives a shit about brass, buying ammo, etc.

Cowboy range, pistol bays, skeet houses, sporting clays course, 650yd rifle range.

I may have mentioned this before. If so, I apologize...

My local range is at my LGS. It consists of a berm with a concrete sidewalk at 25 yds. If I want to shoot at 100 I have to get there first and get set up 75 yds behind the sidewalk... There are no amenities for 100 yard shooting. I carry all my shit out there and do it all myself... If nothing is going on the owner lets me use his SxS to tote all my shit out there.

No ridiculous rules, certs, or annual dues... $10 to shoot all day... Basically $10 covers the cost of the targets and cardboard backer.

I can't really gripe.

Edit to add: If I want to stretch out and shoot at longer range, I go out to the ranch and shoot in the hay field. Right now 700 is about the max... If I put in the work and knock some trees down to clear a lane I can probably get up to 880.

I can set up for 100 out there too... But the local range is 3 minutes from the house. Ranch is 15.

Mike

Last edited:
    Bay County FL?????

• Haha
    Reactions: jpop8807
    Shot there as a youngster. Not bad but crowded and small. This is the new squeeze. Owner is super cool as has been nearly everyone I have run into.

View attachment 7885479
    Btw- there is no one trying to sweep brass from under your legs.
    Have you shot at Altus ? Both are great ranges. Some really good shooters at element, USPSA and steel not to mention 2 gun.

I've seen some of these dumb assed rules at ranges near Tampa.

Fuck that dumb shit.

I shoot at JTAC Ranch.
    We have 4 different areas to shoot.
    0-100yds. No running and gunning. Drawing and mag changes are okay. No speed limit or mag limit.
    Full auto is encouraged.

Run and gun bay. 0-100
    It's exactly what it says. You can run and gun and mag change all you want.

0-500 steel and paper targets. Prone, benches and positional are all okay.

0-2000yds steel and paper. Benches, prone, positional, etc... No speed limits, no mag limits, no caliber restrictions.

We self RO

Local range which does offer a lot. 1k, indoor/outdoor pistol, trap etc etc. Charges an insane monthly fee and you have to do 8 hours volunteer work cleaning range a month, or you get slapped with another fee..

That's why I shoot on private land.

Why the 4” group at 200?

They want to make sure we, at least half-ass, know what we're doing. They don't want some jackleg shooting over the berm, or trying to walk it in by trial and error.

Our range also has the assault deck, a range specifically set up for ARs and AKs. 100, 200, 300, 400, and 500 yard steel targets. Rapid fire all you want.