• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stupid Fun at the Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot

Really enjoy/ed every trip. The comps the best, with the night shoot second. Years back they had a SE Asia camp set up w/a M151a1, M14's and a M60 bagged in, rat boxes, stripper clips and links everywhere. Armor (M113a3's and a M551) from the Patton museum was there as well with, Red-horse aviation flying a loch. It really brought back old times. IIRC that was when gunny from mail call was there. Got to spend a few minutes with him on the main line and in the shed. Laughed about some of the stuff he was made to put up with in the movie "Fire Base Gloria". Even though he was a R/E type he knew it was wrong.
Did the Jungle walk again just for kicks to see if I still had it,...
Many of us from 1st Cav and 2nd ID, still do meet and greets at the creek, fun times for sure.

What the heck do they do with all that brass afterwards LOL!!
Reload or sell it to fund the next one. Most on the main line have years and years of ammo stocked up for the Creek. It is not uncommon for guys to make ammo deals before the shoot and have to bring 1 tons or better trucks with trailers to take home what the ammo vender's would sell to just them. To give you an idea of how it was a few years back, I over loaded a F350 of mine with 7.62x25, 39, 54R and still had to return to a storage locker for the rest 2 weeks later with the truck an trailer. Even "Crash" was getting tired of hauling my ammo and all she was doing was driving the 4 wheeler. Given the price I could not afford to pass it up. The 25 was 50$ a K, 39 was 60 and the 54R was 62 a K. Buy it cheap and stack it deep was a wise move back then, and I was a none player compared to many. I've seen 50 BMG stacked in piles (bought by one guy) that one pile would not fit into 24' box truck, and no way was that truck ever going to carry the weight. Everyone worries about the cost of the weapon, the weapon is the cheapest thing. Feeding them is where the cost comes it.

Behind every gun is the entire extended family loading links.

It's always interesting to see the homespun innovations these people come up with to link ammo.

Was a great show. The boat on fire earlier in the day was a nice touch! Some of the ammo prices were insane, however.

Just to give insight into the kind of folks there.

Some years back a father had saved all year to bring his son (13-14yo) to the creek to shoot a M/G at least once in his life, while the father videoed the event. The gun the boy chose was a 1919 that "Little Fat Man" had. To say the boy had a smile there after, is a major understatement. As they left the gun(the boy not knowing the fathers hard work and sacrifices for just that) ask if he could shoot the twin short barreled 50's, he ask L.F.M. who turned to look at his father. His father clearly did not have the funds to pay for it and said no. You could see the disappointment in the boys as well as the fathers faces. Little fat man knew that this may be the only time in the boys life to shoot weapons with that much HP and clearly seen the disappointment on the fathers face. Never missing a beat he put the boy behind the weapons and turned him loose, the father expressing alarm at not being able to pay was clearly worried. Long short, it was on the house said Little Fat man. What was 50rds of 50bmg to a guy that shot many hundreds if not thousands every day. After the father and son left, the crowd donated to/for Little Fat mans generosity many times over. Those there that day and seen the events unfold will never forget it, nor will I or my son. As we both donated, our eyes like many others were getting wet from, what must have been rain from clear blue sky's. Don't Shooters Suck!

Last edited:
Just to give insight into the kind of folks there.

Some years back a father had saved all year to bring his son (13-14yo) to the creek to shoot a M/G at least once in his life, while the father videoed the event. The gun the boy chose was a 1919 that "Little Fat Man" had. To say the boy had a smile there after, is a major understatement. As they left the gun(the boy not knowing the fathers hard work and sacrifices for just that) ask if he could shoot the twin short barreled 50's, he ask L.F.M. who turned to look at his father. His father clearly did not have the funds to pay for it and said no. You could see the disappointment in the boys as well as the fathers faces. Little fat man knew that this may be the only time in the boys life to shoot weapons with that much HP and clearly seen the disappointment on the fathers face. Never missing a beat he put the boy behind the weapons and turned him loose, the father expressing alarm at not being able to pay was clearly worried. Long short, it was on the house said Little Fat man. What was 50rds of 50bmg to a guy that shot many hundreds if not thousands every day. After the father and son left, the crowd donated to/for Little Fat mans generosity many times over. Those there that day and seen the events unfold will never forget it, nor will I or my son. As we both donated, our eyes like many others were getting wet from, what must have been rain from clear blue sky's. Don't Shooters Suck!

Lucky boy. We all have that dream. Even as adults. For aren't we all boys.....

when_my_roommate_wakes_me_up_playing_a_song_i_like-7501.gif