• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stupid idea of the day….Sig Cross in 6.5 Creedmoor for comp use?

patscrazy

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2013
Cape Cod
So I already can guess what the hide community will think about this one, but my local gun store has the ability to get me a new Sig cross 6.5 Creedmoor for a decent price with the LEO discount. $1400 out the door.

I personally just think they look great and I like the design features, folding stock, 60 degree throw, 3 lug bolt, and ability for the end user to be able to change the barrels easily. Coming from the AR world that familiarity is a draw too. But I want to get a bolt gun to shoot long-distance with and get into some local ish competitions. I’ve never done any formal PRS type shooting before. Match ammo is obviously available, not cheap but available. And I do reload already so that won’t be an issue if I want.

Clearly the major con would be it’s lightweight rifle and it shoots a 6.5 Creedmoor, which makes recoil management and the ability to see trace, harder compared to 6mm guns.

I don’t hunt so it’s really it’s only purpose will be a fun range or comp use gun.

So is this decent idea or just a misguided direction for my funds? Thanks

For the same money, you can get an RPR. Better choice if shooting steel is the reason to buy. Most, have a good reputation for accuracy and except for the bolt and receiver, everything can be changed.

1644515876022.jpeg

300 yards. Probably an exception group but this rifle can still put three or five shot groups under a half inch at 100 yards when I do my part. 2000+ rounds through the barrel and counting.

1644516096300.jpeg

Don’t shoot much paper (steel is more fun and a better use of today’s limited resources) but I quit counting the 3 shot groups that made it close to a third of an inch or less.

Reactions: patscrazy
The reason for the SIG Cross is light weight and packing down small.

If you are doing neither, grab something else.
Lots of stuff is available in that price range that would work very well for competitions / range use.

If you are doing competitions with it, you will be generally at a disadvantage compared to the heavier rifles unless you are doing something that specifically is not supported.

Reactions: MarkCO
A Bergara HMR in 6CM or 6.5CM is a much better choice if the weight and compactness does not benefit you. They are $950 most places.

My LGS has SIG Cross in 6.5CM for $1400 BTW. Daniel Horner does "okay" with it in NRLHunter, but has to shoot factory ammo since it does not make PF. That makes it a no go for me. Maybe in the SAC...8.5 pounds with a scope and bi-pod. 1.5 pounds less than a more traditional rifle, and $800 more.

Thanks guys I appreciate all the insight. Yeah the sig cross, every time I go in there is staring at me in the face and it looks so good. I figured I might be able to use it in that role even though it wasn’t perfect. I thought $1400 was a decent deal given I’ve only sent them brand new for $1499 plus tax.

Maybe I’ll keep my eye out for an RPR as those pop up for sale locally all the time. And I never even considered the Bergara but that’s a nice looking rifle for under a grand.

With the longer barrel you would be fine. If you need more weight, add the weight kits, problem solved. The 3 that I have shot have all performed well and the action is pretty slick. I would prefer the buttstock of the Sig to the RPR. The RPR can get the job done but the Cross feels a lot handier as far as controls

Seekins offers an LE discount, just sign up for an account and get it setup and you can see their pricing. The SIG has not proven itself from what I understand. It's too light for comps and not accurate enough. Plus SIG sucks at stocking their caliber change kits, etc.

If you want to shoot comps with it and have a nice rifle in that price range I would order the new Seekins HIT Havak man. Comes with a nice chassis, folding stock, and quick change barrel system similar to the Accuracy International. There will be cheap barrels available and you can get it in 6.5 Creedmoor or a couple 6mm options. You didn't mention if you reload or not but obviously finding ammo is something to consider right now. For a pure steel/comp rifle I would get one in 6mm Creedmoor or 6GT. The GT will have factory ammos soon if you don't reload. Seriously, for a few hundred $ more you can get the Seekins, which in my opinion is twice the rifle that the SIG is.

I have a medical condition that makes me very weak. My AI AX was to heavy for me to hoist into different position. I bought cross, added external weights to forend, allows me to compete local matches. I put a primary arms Glx 4-16 on it, works well reticle wise through out power range. I have great dope out to 600+ yards. This last weekend i pulled weights and used it to hunt hogs in texas.
While not an optimum PRS rifle, it does rather well considering, and easily transition from PRS mode to hunting or even bugout simply by pulling weights.
Now looking to 276 sig cal when ammo,barrels come on line. Also researching conversion to 223 type cartidges. Mags for 223 avail, someone is developing approp bolt head. Very adaptable rifle

I have a medical condition that makes me very weak. My AI AX was to heavy for me to hoist into different position. I bought cross, added external weights to forend, allows me to compete local matches. I put a primary arms Glx 4-16 on it, works well reticle wise through out power range. I have great dope out to 600+ yards. This last weekend i pulled weights and used it to hunt hogs in texas.
While not an optimum PRS rifle, it does rather well considering, and easily transition from PRS mode to hunting or even bugout simply by pulling weights.
Now looking to 276 sig cal when ammo,barrels come on line. Also researching conversion to 223 type cartidges. Mags for 223 avail, someone is developing approp bolt head. Very adaptable rifle
Never a fan of lighter rifles but what you say makes sense to me. Especially as I get older, even though I am in fairly good condition for my age. (Still doing decent cycling Time Trial times) but carrying a 20 pound rifle though moving stages can be an issue.

So I already can guess what the hide community will think about this one, but my local gun store has the ability to get me a new Sig cross 6.5 Creedmoor for a decent price with the LEO discount. $1400 out the door.

I personally just think they look great and I like the design features, folding stock, 60 degree throw, 3 lug bolt, and ability for the end user to be able to change the barrels easily. Coming from the AR world that familiarity is a draw too. But I want to get a bolt gun to shoot long-distance with and get into some local ish competitions. I’ve never done any formal PRS type shooting before. Match ammo is obviously available, not cheap but available. And I do reload already so that won’t be an issue if I want.

Clearly the major con would be it’s lightweight rifle and it shoots a 6.5 Creedmoor, which makes recoil management and the ability to see trace, harder compared to 6mm guns.

I don’t hunt so it’s really it’s only purpose will be a fun range or comp use gun.

So is this decent idea or just a misguided direction for my funds? Thanks
I shoot my hunting rifle (cross, 6.5) with tactical scope (PA 4-16 GLX) in Prs matches. Great way to get dope, wind calls under pressure. Are thier better PRS guns, yep. Do i take them hunting, nope. You fight way you train.

I shoot my hunting rifle (cross, 6.5) with tactical scope (PA 4-16 GLX) in Prs matches. Great way to get dope, wind calls under pressure. Are thier better PRS guns, yep. Do i take them hunting, nope. You fight way you train.
I am also getting a 223 bolt head built. Ill get a barrel twist that can handle heavy as well as light bullets. Ill use cross for varmint shooting, prs matches and practice, presrving 6.5 barrel for hunting, matches. The more trigger time you get, the better you perform

For the same money, you can get an RPR. Better choice if shooting steel is the reason to buy. Most, have a good reputation for accuracy and except for the bolt and receiver, everything can be changed.

View attachment 7805137

300 yards. Probably an exception group but this rifle can still put three or five shot groups under a half inch at 100 yards when I do my part. 2000+ rounds through the barrel and counting.

View attachment 7805139

Don’t shoot much paper (steel is more fun and a better use of today’s limited resources) but I quit counting the 3 shot groups that made it close to a third of an inch or less.
I shoot cross in PRS matches. Great way to get dope, practice for hunting. However, i also bought a RPR in 223. I got fire pin hole bushed (65$) and i use it in both PRS matches AND shooting pdogs, coyotes. I also ordered a 204 ruger barrel, for just varmint side.
I found cycling your hunting rifles into PRS matches pays dividends in the field