• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing stupid moly coat!

Tactical30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Eastern Ohio
I had recently bought 15 boxes of 52gr. Black Hills match from my local gun store and when I got home I realized that 1 of the boxes is
Moly-Coated. Shit. Theres $40 wasted. I dont shoot moly. Is there any way to remove the Moly-Coat and still retain accuracy without damaging the bullet. I cant return the box so thats not an option. Or should I just throw them out the window. I heard if you scrub the bullet with somekind of bore cleaner it will remove it. What to do?

Re: stupid moly coat!

Acetone takes most of it off. Then tumble them in your case tumbler...probably best to put them in a small plastic bottle with treated media in it, screw the cap on tight and then toss it in the tumbler. Couple of hours and they will be bright. Although, like RG says...I'd probably put the other 14 boxes through the moly process...or, as I prefer, Hexagonal Boron Nitride. Might get you some additional barrel life to buy extra bullets for. JMHO

Ive tumbled moly of bullets before, just leave them in there a hour or so, and theyll be like it was never there..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Robert Gradous</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I would shoot them, might change your luck, and yes they will give you a true cold bore shot. </div></div>

I really need to see the proof....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackhawk95</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive tumbled moly of bullets before, just leave them in there a hour or so, and theyll be like it was never there.. </div></div>

Talking about Black hills he has to be talking about loaded ammo (dont think its safe to drop in the tumbler) , taking off the moly you can see wont get the molly you cannot see and thats the moly that will adhere to your bore. I would just shoot em and see how it works out. I have a rifle that shoots like shit with one load non coated but the same load with moly will print 1/2" conistantly

yeah.....not good ju-ju to tumble boolits...you end up with way-the-fuck-high-pressures-blown-primers-and-other-nasty-shit-in-your-face.......

i would remind the world that Boltripper breaks and shatters steel targets using MOLY......its true!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yeah.....not good ju-ju to tumble boolits...you end up with way-the-fuck-high-pressures-blown-primers-and-other-nasty-shit-in-your-face.......

i would remind the world that Boltripper breaks and shatters steel targets using MOLY......its true!! </div></div>

LOL

Just shoot them. Won't hurt anything.

I thought mixing bare and moly bullets down a barrel was bad ju ju. IF not then ill have to rethink my ideals on moly coatings.

Howdy

Just shoot 'em.

If the idea bugs you that bad shoot 'em first, clean, then shoot all yer nekkid bullets.

Bullets is bullets. Some former national champions used to shoot nekkid at the short lines (200 and 300 yards) and moly at 600.

I have switched back & forth from naked, Moly & BN bullets many different times in the past with no ill effects. At the range I took five rounds each of the same powder charge the only difference being naked, Moly & BN bullets. The farthest our range goes to is 400 yards. I fired the rounds in no specific order. Dumped them in a pile & just started picking them out & shooting. All 15 rds. went into a centered group of 3.261 inches. Which is where I run out of trigger talent most days. I have shot factory & home applied Moly & BN then checked the bore with my borescope over the years & have not found Moly to be that difficult to remove.

Won't accomplish anything to clean the moly off of bullets in loaded ammo. The part that's going to ride the bore is inside the case neck.

Unless you are considering pulling the bullets, cleaning, then reseating. In any case you'll have residual moly in the case necks.

Just shoot 'em. The whole moly thing is waaaay overblown.

I really don't think you should shoot them. I think you should send them to me so I can dispose of them properly for you. They're junk. They will tear your rifle up. They will make you impotent. They cause cancer. I'll PM you my address.... Your welcome.

If they are loaded rounds just buy a Sinclair case spinner and lock it in a cordless drill and then polish the projectiles off with fine steel wool. However there will still be some on the seated shank of the bullet inside the case neck .
There is nothing wrong with "pure Moly Mos2 " impact coating but most commercial bullets are not pure moly but paint processes with moly in the coating system some place .
If you know how to coat properly and run pure moly bullets it can be rewarding in several ways. The main problem is that there is many ways you can get a bit of moly on your bullet and some are good and some are poor quality. The same can be said for shooting and cleaning techniques . So one mans experience can be quite different to anothers because they did it two different ways. Also some types of gun use is not as suitable to moly as other types of use so you have to know about what pattern of use will suit pure moly bullets and what don't .
Some environmental conditions don't go well with moly in your barrel especially if you don't clean and lubricate well after shooting . Ofcourse when I say Moly I meam pure MOS2 impact coated not some black paint goo .

Just shoot'em and worry about something else more meaningful.

BTW, the Sinclair spinner indexes in the primer pocket. Better w/o the primer in place, especially a live one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just shoot them. Won't hurt anything. </div></div>
With the same powder as non-moly, your pressure and velocity should be lower. Perfectly safe, just shoot em.