• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stupid question #3 for the day Scope rail cant and ballistics calculations

Cglenn1805

Private
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2020
Ok I am an idiot or well very inexperienced and am probably thinking way too much into this. My ballistics calculator as well as my kestrel give me Mil/MOA turret corrections at various distances. My question is if I mount my scope on a canted mount, let's say 13 Mil for this discussion, and zero at a 100 yds is there something I need to setup specifically in my ballistics calculator for the firearm/scop/cant base to ensure that "click/moa/mil" adjustments are accurate ? in my feabile mind the fact that the scope mount is canted has an effect on this at distance, AM I WRONG OR JUST DUMB ?

Ok I am an idiot or well very inexperienced and am probably thinking way too much into this. My ballistics calculator as well as my kestrel give me Mil/MOA turret corrections at various distances. My question is if I mount my scope on a canted mount, let's say 13 Mil for this discussion, and zero at a 100 yds is there something I need to setup specifically in my ballistics calculator for the firearm/scop/cant base to ensure that "click/moa/mil" adjustments are accurate ? in my feabile mind the fact that the scope mount is canted has an effect on this at distance, AM I WRONG OR JUST DUMB ?

Once you’re zeroed all your ballistics tells you is how many inches (clicks) to move up. You don’t need to change the ballistics.

That said you go from 0 can’t to some can’t you WILL have to re-zero. You also MUST change the height over bore as a canted vs non-canted scope will change that.

Reactions: Cglenn1805
I understand that as I will zero with the canted base at say 100yds.

Scenario 1:

ZERO cant on scope mount and ballistics is setup with the proper centerline of bore to centerline of scope and zero'd at 100 yds. Range to target is 1500yds. Ballistics calculator states U49.9 MOA

will the correction still be U49.9 MOA if the scope is mounted on say a 20 MOA cant base if zero'd at 100yds with the cant base ?

The canted scope rail just rotates the scope mounting slightly so that it’s pointed a bit more down, those moves turret travel from 50/50 split up and down to a smidge more up than down. It doesn’t change anything outside of the scope itself or change the total travel of the scope, just where your zero is at inside of the scope so you don’t have a bunch of useless down travel that you will never use.

60 moa total travel= 30 up and 30 down on a flat base.
Put that on a 20 moa canted base and you now have 50 up and 10 down, you off set the scope to take more advantage of its travel range. You don’t need to account for it beyond that.

The canted scope rail just rotates the scope mounting slightly so that it’s pointed a bit more down, those moves turret travel from 50/50 split up and down to a smidge more up than down. It doesn’t change anything outside of the scope itself or change the total travel of the scope, just where your zero is at inside of the scope so you don’t have a bunch of useless down travel that you will never use.

60 moa total travel= 30 up and 30 down on a flat base.
Put that on a 20 moa canted base and you now have 50 up and 10 down, you off set the scope to take more advantage of its travel range. You don’t need to account for it beyond that.
so there is nothing to change in the setup of my rifle in my ballistics software(other than the cl of bore to cl of scope measurement and re-zero with new base) or the hold overs or corrections as they stay the same regardless of scope base cant it just gives me more up vertical adjustment ?

Thanks

so there is nothing to change in the setup of my rifle in my ballistics software(other than the cl of bore to cl of scope measurement and re-zero with new base) or the hold overs or corrections as they stay the same regardless of scope base cant it just gives me more up vertical adjustment ?

Thanks

You’re overthinking it. Re-zero at 100. Input the new height over bore in software. Re-run ballistics. You’re ballistics are now accurate (as accurate as before the change in cant)

Thanks
Correct. Nothing external changes.

canting the scope base (0 moa to 20 moa for example) just helps you not run out the reticle at longer distances. zero effect on actual ballistics.

mount the base and scope, measure height over bore, and your ballistics program will take it from there.

Have all 20MOA mounts and have always used height above bore at turret centerline-should that be at centerline of objective instead?

Have all 20MOA mounts and have always used height above bore at turret centerline-should that be at centerline of objective instead?
What, in your opinion, is the best most robust mount to use with a 20moa cant on a 338LM with a NF 7-35 ATACR ? Want something that will have the best odds against moving from recoil. Here is the kicker, money is no object as when you calculate the cost of the firearm, the almost $4k optics why scrimp on a mount.

What, in your opinion, is the best most robust mount to use with a 20moa cant on a 338LM with a NF 7-35 ATACR ? Want something that will have the best odds against moving from recoil. Here is the kicker, money is no object as when you calculate the cost of the firearm, the almost $4k optics why scrimp on a mount.

Spuhr, badger max, arc m brace. Top 3 out there. Im a badger max guy
IMG_4567.jpeg

Well off to the races. Just ordered Spuhr 20moa, LRA Send-it and mount for the spuhr. Damn this crap is expensive. I thought the +$3800 Scope was bad. another $1k but I SHOULD be set now.

Well off to the races. Just ordered Spuhr 20moa, LRA Send-it and mount for the spuhr. Damn this crap is expensive. I thought the +$3800 Scope was bad. another $1k but I SHOULD be set now.
Now you can start spending even more thousands on the reloading equipment,
THEN you can spend several more thousands on the ammunition. Figure around 3000 rounds on that barrel at $2-5/shot.
There are definitely less expensive ways to pass the time.