• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stupid question about mirage bands

TurdFerguson

thinking sucks
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2014
Burgerworld
Are mirage bands still useful on chassis rifles with ar style handguards? Took the tikka tac a1 out the weekend and after being in the sun for a while, mirage started to be an annoyance. Would it be work while to get band? Or just use some rail mlock rail covers on top of the handguard? 20 inch barrel with maybe 4 inches of the barrel is uncovered. Or just quit being a puss and learn to deal with it?

156821334_10165495582145427_9213900275154271915_o.jpeg

I put mlok covers on mine just for mirage. Works decent. A mirage cover like we run on fclass rigs is better. Mirage will be an issue if you don’t divert it or cool the barrel

Reactions: Frank Green
I put mlok covers on mine just for mirage. Works decent. A mirage cover like we run on fclass rigs is better. Mirage will be an issue if you don’t divert it or cool the barrel
I guess I could make a cheap one out of an old strap. I guess a lighter color than black would make a difference?

I guess I could make a cheap one out of an old strap. I guess a lighter color than black would make a difference?
Many people use window blinds. But you can buy them with designs if you want as well

Shooting creates heat. Heat rises. Rising heat displaces air. Scopes pick up displaced air.
Either displace the air around the scope or eliminate the heat. The only two options

A small battery powered fan worked the best for me.

Once, I bought some black construction paper and taped it into a tube that fit snug on the scope's objective bell. The tube length was about 1/2" short of the muzzle. I taped a piece of soft foam under the end to place the tube at an even height above the barrel.

Summing up, it was friction fit on the objective bell, resting free on the foam block. I carried it separately in a slightly wider rigid tube, then slid it out for use.

The project began as an attempt to duplicate a BR Mirage tube I had seen on a far more serious rifle than my own.

As a Rube Goldberg Mirage Tube, it worked pretty well, but wasn't especially durable. When it wore out, I intended to build something more durable; but that never actually came to pass.

It's important to keep barrel contact to a minimum.

Greg

This is what 300m rifle shooters use. It is elastic and will stretch to fit all guns. Rolls up when not in use.

This long, elastic mirage band from Roedale is suitable for barrel length of 41cm (16") to 68cm (26"). The width of this mirage band is 5 cm.
More Information

1615220736362.png

Are they adjustable? If your not using a trg 3 ring mount how do you hook the other end at the receiver?
I have a Spuhr Scope mount and it has a hook for one end and the other end goes over a screw on the Sako Muzzle Brake.

Edit: No, it’s not adjustable but it is elastic so it stretches pretty good, 19” relaxed to 36” fully stretched.

Last edited: