• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stupid question but I’ll just ask anyways

Chris831

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2024
Salinas ca
Hi, new to forums and I’ve always searched google but I’d figured I’d ask the experts. I recently picked up a brand new wooden stock (M40 style) to make a clone of the M40. I know on the older vintage military rifles, the rear tang of the receiver where the metal meets the wood is notched out to prevent cracking.

Do I need to do the same to this stock; notch the tang out? I am planning to get it bedded also. No too sure about pillaring but will probably do it since it’s getting bedded. Thoughts on this from you guys?

Any other question was should I refinish the stock ( raw linseed oil ) before I have it bedded.

Thanks for helping a newbie out. Via goggle/forums search….. I see multiple opinions and thoughts.

Chris

I agree with @spife7980 don't finish the stock until you've bedded it. The oils will soak onto the edges of the wood and can make the bedding pop off easy.
Yes to pillars in a wood stock.

Reactions: Chris831
I will second going to Vintage.

Read at least the first page of threads relating to m40's. Especially pay attention to posts by @USMCSGT0331 and @cplnorton . They know their stuff.

There is a recent thread on cloning and other posts on some of the exact measurements of clone stocks. Also make sure you read the Don't Deal with the Hogs Den thread.

Welcome.

Reactions: Chris831
I will second going to Vintage.

Read at least the first page of threads relating to m40's. Especially pay attention to posts by @USMCSGT0331 and @cplnorton . They know their stuff.

There is a recent thread on cloning and other posts on some of the exact measurements of clone stocks. Also make sure you read the Don't Deal with the Hogs Den thread.

Welcome.
Lol….. actually I kinda did. @USMCSGT0331 pretty much steered me into the right direction regarding my build.

Reactions: LeftyJason