• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report stupid question....

sv650_pimpin

Private
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2009
Collins, MS
I've read that you aren't supposed to put 5.56 rounds in a .223 rifle because the psi of a 5.56 are much greater. The reason why I didn't buy one is because of that.

I own a rem 700 sps-v .308 with a HS precision stock. Can I shoot 7.62 x 51/54 out of my rifle?

I hope so since i just bought 400 rounds of the stuff. But before I shoot it, I just want to make sure. Thanks..
eek.gif

Re: stupid question....

don't know if it's true or not, but Ive heard you can run .223 in a 5.56 but not 5.56 in a .223. correct me if I'm wrong

lazy youre correct, green horn you should be fine with the 7.62x51 or 7.62nato(same thing) or really up the ante with some lake city m118lr for match grade. youll need to steer clear of any 7.62x54 since thats a russian rimmed cartridge better suited to the dragonuv. no 7.62x39 either save that for the ak. hope this helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">lazy youre correct, green horn you should be fine with the 7.62x51 or 7.62nato(same thing) or really up the ante with some lake city m118lr for match grade. youll need to steer clear of any 7.62x54 since thats a russian rimmed cartridge better suited to the dragonuv. no 7.62x39 either save that for the ak. hope this helps. </div></div>

Thank you. I bought 200rds from ammo to go of 150 gr 7.62 winchester. And I was at a gun show last weekend and picked up some stuff from Argentina also 7.62 but its not rimmed like you are talking about. The rimmed ammo you are talking about, it's beveled at the end of the case? I seen that stuff and it didnt look good to me so I passed.

The "for sure" fact is that a SAAMI .223 chamber will have too short of throat/leade to safely shoot military 5.56mm M193 ball ammo*. Another example of an ammo maker rushing the "military equivalent" to market before Uncle Sugar's engineers and beancounters are done tweaking the system.

Bullet jams in the bore before firing, and without the jump that round was designed for, pressures spike a bit past proof levels, IIRC the pressure detail.

I've asked several places on-line and still have not heard anything beyond rumor about whether the M855 ammo has a similar length to ogive. However, since M193 in a A2 barrel doesn't spike pressure, I'm reasonably confident to my own satisfaction that M855 would probably have the same problem in a SAAMI chamber...never mind that the typical 1:12 twist starts keyholing the bullets somewhere beyond 50 yards.

There is a bit of cross-talk on the ammo chamber pressure issue which leaves me a bit uncertain. The modern convention is to list PSI as the number derived from piezoelectric transducer readings (favored because they give pressure over time, not just peak), and CUP (copper units of pressure) for numbers obtained from the older copper crusher method. Problem is, before PZ came in, all CUPs were listed as PSI, and people reading the older (1960s-70s) military sources tend to interpret the pressure PSI figures as PZ instead of CUP.

PZ tends to give higher number values than CUP, for the very same ammo/barrel combinations.

So, some people say SAAMI ammo with PZ pressure numbers runs higher pressure than military ammo with CUP numbers. Others say military runs hotter, but I suspect most of them are incompletely regurgitating the M193 in SAAMI throat problem. I just gave up and load my ammo and back off if velocities are much above what they are supposed to be, regardless of any lack of "pressure signs".

My sources have been SAAMI publications and military manuals, cross-referenced with having read every issue of The American Rifleman going back to a couple years before I was born. Dad is a Life Member and saved 'em all.

*Though perhaps it would work after the throat is burned out...

BTW, we very much prefer stupid questions over stupid mistakes. One is much, much easier to fix.

I have fired plenty of 223 ammo out of a 5.56 chamber without one problem. But I have never fired any 5.56 out of a 223 chamber. I believe the Lazy is correct.

Not a stupid question. Glad you asked. Welcome aboard.

A buddy of mine purchased a Bushmaster Varminter a few years back, and then a case of Federal XM193. He popped the primer on every single round that he fired. The chamber on the Varminter was .223. I put 30 of the same rounds through my Colt 6920 without a hitch. I got a case of XM193 real cheap.
laugh.gif

Today I shot 10rds of that Argentina stuff. It went through the rifle with no hitch; went down range a little different. It's not very accurate. Grouping sucked. Behind that bunch I put 10rds of Black Hills 168gr HPBT Moly through and my grouping was sooooo much better. I know shooting match ammo, compared to the other stuff, is night and day. But the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

I just really bought it for the brass and practice. I am still learning how to use and set up my scope. So it helps some. I don't have the name green horn for nothin!

I wouldn't mix moly and non-moly bullets. Give it a GOOD cleaning to get rid of all the moly in the bore, then stick to regular ammo for now.

Yes, you should be fine. A few years ago I had a Remy 700 on 308 and I shot about 700 rds of 7.62 nato out of it with no problems.