• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stupid reloading question- neck tension/brass life

ReaperMedic

Take souls, plug holes
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2013
Kansas City, Missouri
I'm fairly new to reloading. I have Hornady match brass in 308 that has been reloaded about 4 or 5 times. I will neck size, and the measurements will all be correct, but when a bullet is seated, every few cases will not actually hold the bullet. As in, I can easily push or pull the bullet in or out. Is this just the point where my brass is no longer useful, and would need to be annealed? Or am I doing something else wrong?

Any help would be appreciated.

Because of variance in neck thickness, hardness, and the resulting variable spring back.

You should turn the die in a little bit more until you feel a click when there is a case in the die and the ram is at top dead center (all the way up).

Ughh, Hornady brass... crème de la crème of rifle brass.

If you have 5 loads on them and they have never been annealed the liklihood of salvaging them now is slim, but not impossible. Other than what 918v suggested above, try a different brand when you can. I'm not bashing Hornady, it's just a well known fact that their brass is sub-par.

Reactions: ReaperMedic
Roger. I got a great deal on them, so I'm not sad if its time to pitch them after how many times Ive loaded them. Ive got another batch of Federal GMM brass ready to get started.

Reactions: AIAW
Excellent. The main reason I say that is because for someone starting out it can be a bit frustrating to have to deal with. A good learning experience, but frustrating. Granted, even "good" brass will still occasionally have it's issues - the same or different.

Yeah, for the first 500 rounds out of my first precision rifle, it was good to me. I learned a lot about reloading, enough to get pretty consistent, accurate ammo. Still a ton to learn. I'm glad this place exists and you guys will come in and help a new guy without making him feel stupid.

Reactions: AIAW
Ughh, Hornady brass... crème de la crème of rifle brass.

If you have 5 loads on them and they have never been annealed the liklihood of salvaging them now is slim, but not impossible. Other than what 918v suggested above, try a different brand when you can. I'm not bashing Hornady, it's just a well known fact that their brass is sub-par.

Bullshit

LOL, ok. Enjoy your shit brass. I'll stick to shit that isn't made out of soft recycled bathroom fixtures.

There is a reason you don't see Hornady brass flying off of the shelves versus other brands. Sales figures and word of mouth is typically rather reliable.

Reactions: Huskydriver
Anneal the cases and size them.

With the lee collet just follow the directions.
With ram up screw die down till it contacts the shell plate.
Lower ram and screw collet die down an additional 1 1/2 turns and lock down.
It’s that simple.

If you pay attention you can actually feel when cases need to be annealed when using the collet die.

I never go more than 4 loading without annealing even if I’m neck sizing.

I'm fairly new to reloading. I have Hornady match brass in 308 that has been reloaded about 4 or 5 times. I will neck size, and the measurements will all be correct, but when a bullet is seated, every few cases will not actually hold the bullet. As in, I can easily push or pull the bullet in or out. Is this just the point where my brass is no longer useful, and would need to be annealed? Or am I doing something else wrong?

Any help would be appreciated.
I would get a copy of "Handloading for Competition" by Zediker to learn more about tools and concepts in reloading. I have also found that a GemPro 250 scale measures to +/- 0.02grains and gives your great control and consistency. https://www.amazon.com/Handloading-Competition-Making-Target-Bigger/dp/096269259X

LOL, ok. Enjoy your shit brass. I'll stick to shit that isn't made out of soft recycled bathroom fixtures.

There is a reason you don't see Hornady brass flying off of the shelves versus other brands. Sales figures and word of mouth is typically rather reliable.

You are clueless

I really don't feel like spending the money/time on annealing when I can get brass pretty cheap. At least not for a .308. So really for me, when the brass wont hold a bullet anymore, its done in my mind.

You are clueless

You are certainly entitled to that opinion... Which is what this whole debate is about - opinion. You like a certain brand, I don't. You've had great success with it perhaps, I have not. Doesn't mean that people have to mindlessly follow what either of us say. Feelings so strong; Hornady employee perhaps?

What method are you using? And how nice of brass did you start with? I'm using cheap brass, and have a good supply of it. Maybe if I ever buy some Lapua brass Ill spend time on it...
A torch, socket and drill.

I use Winchester brass.
I have about 400 more new cases.

Why throw away perfectly good brass.

I’ve reloaded my current lot of brass so much that I can’t seat the primer down enough anymore.
I either have to cut the pocket down a bit or scrap it.
Some are getting a little loose in pocket as well.
And lately getting an acceptable SD is marginal with it.

It’s probably done but I definitely got my money out of that brass.

Reactions: lash
Anneal the cases and size them.

With the lee collet just follow the directions.
With ram up screw die down till it contacts the shell plate.
Lower ram and screw collet die down an additional 1 1/2 turns and lock down.
It’s that simple.

No it’s not. Arbitrary adjustment could blow the aluminum cap right out of the die depending
You are certainly entitled to that opinion... Which is what this whole debate is about - opinion. You like a certain brand, I don't. You've had great success with it perhaps, I have not. Doesn't mean that people have to mindlessly follow what either of us say. Feelings so strong; Hornady employee perhaps?

Jeez! WTF?

No I’m not a Hornady employee and I use many different brands of brass, mostly range pickup. I have prolly two dozen different brands of 308.

No it’s not. Arbitrary adjustment could blow the aluminum cap right out of the die depending

I’ve been running lee collets for a decade and have just followed the directions with them and never blown a cap.

It’s the guys who don’t follow the directions that have problems.

I’ve been running lee collets for a decade and have just followed the directions with them and never blown a cap.

That’s you with your specific press/die/brass dimensions. Incremental adjustment is better. There is a huge difference between Winchester and Federal neck thickness.

That’s you with your specific press/die/brass dimensions. Incremental adjustment is better. There is a huge difference between Winchester and Federal neck thickness.
Lol
And yet I reload my FGMM brass without having to change my collet die setting.