• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Stupid SBR Question.....

poison123

Gunny Sergeant
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Jul 17, 2009
    US
    Say if I wanted a 12" upper without making it a SBR. Could I say....weld a mount onto the barrel and then weld the can to the mount? Thus making it longer than 16", but keeping it as short as possible?

lol, I'm just thinking I've got a OLD AAC M4-1000 that has barely ever been shot. So I don't care about not being able to shoot it on anything else than that dedicated gun.

Am I crazy, or is that technically getting around the old SBR rule?

It is my understanding that yes, that would work. I'm pretty sure as long as its pinned or welded your good.

I think you'd be happier just paying for the stamp. Give you more flexibility.

How do you figure.....after I get the stamp(god only knows how long later). I then have to file additional paperwork for every place out of the state I want to take it to.

*shrugs*

How do you figure.....after I get the stamp(god only knows how long later). I then have to file additional paperwork for every place out of the state I want to take it to.

*shrugs*

It's amazing how much trouble, and paperwork, 4" of metal tubing (or lack-there-of can cause. ;)

So if you're going between states the non SBR way is better.

Tactical Solutions has had a similar idea in production with their SB-X 10/22 barrel and now their 300Blk shrouded barrel.

"New for 2014 is the TSAR-300: The only 300 AAC Blackout upper which provides the versatility of a short barreled rifle (SBR) upper without the red tape and NFA paperwork. Suppressors fit inside the circumference of a permanently attached shroud allowing shooters to attach a suppressor without significantly increasing the overall length of the rifle."

Tactical Solutions » High Performance Upgrades

*shrugs*

The paperwork to go intra state is a letter you send and forget about....not the same as waiting a year to get a tax stamp. Just be warned once you start shooting supressed, you will want to use one on all of your rifles. It sure is nice to swap your can from rifle to rifle....or just keep buying more cans.

Just consider the $200 for the SBR the cost of fun. And, if you have a trust, can file for the SBR yourself on eforms (assuming the site is up) and be approved in ~ 90 days.

Just sayin....

ZY

Or build a pistol lower with the sig forearm brace and KAK extended pistol buffer tube for the sig brace.

A480D1DD-BD32-4E07-AE9D-E37DE891E427.jpg

throw the can on and take it where you want.

Just SBR the rifle if that is your concern, travelling with one really isn't anything that ridiculous. The SBR is definitely worth the $200 stamp and the "hassles" of the paperwork.

Just SBR the rifle if that is your concern, travelling with one really isn't anything that ridiculous. The SBR is definitely worth the $200 stamp and the "hassles" of the paperwork.

Yep. And you can renew your paperwork on a yearly basis to cover travel to and from the destination state for the year.

So you want to weld an old, seldom used, obsolete model suppressor onto a barrel, therefore making it an integral? I see no problem with that at all and I dont know why people are trying to talk you out of it.

I think its a good use for an old can like that.

Main issue I could see potentially popping up would be cleaning the barrel. What happens when you push a patch through and it comes off of the jag inside the can? What do you do about solvents running out of the barrel and collecting in the can?

Also, what if you weld it all up and it shoots like shit?

I'll keep running my SBR'd lowers but if I was to try and do something like this, I think that I'd be trying to do it with some sort of shroud like the TacSol setup.

*shrugs*

Derp, I re-read the verbiage on interstate travel and see that it does not include cans. Rock on.

Last edited:
    Main issue I could see potentially popping up would be cleaning the barrel. What happens when you push a patch through and it comes off of the jag inside the can? What do you do about solvents running out of the barrel and collecting in the can?

Maybe use a bore mop soaked in solvent, then follow with a bore snake, and finally blow compressed air (90-100 p.s.i.) from chamber to muzzle. Should get rid of the majority of solvent that may have collected in the can. Let it sit muzzle down a day or two and 99% should have evaporated or worked its way out. Just my $0.02.

This is the inside of the same model of suppressor in the OP. I wouldn't want to be cleaning a rifle barrel with this permanently attached to the end.
    M4-2000new.jpg

and the OCD rifle bore cleaning crowd has come out against the idea. shocker! :D

HA...I am far from having OCD about rifle bore cleaning...quite the opposite actually. But on the rare occasion that I do clean a rifle bore, I wouldn't want a suppressor permanently attached to the end of it.

Say if I wanted a 12" upper without making it a SBR. Could I say....weld a mount onto the barrel and then weld the can to the mount? Thus making it longer than 16", but keeping it as short as possible?

lol, I'm just thinking I've got a OLD AAC M4-1000 that has barely ever been shot. So I don't care about not being able to shoot it on anything else than that dedicated gun.

Am I crazy, or is that technically getting around the old SBR rule?

As long as it is permanently attached, it would be legal. Welding it should work just fine for legal purposes.

I'm going to go against the trend here and admit that I think this is a pretty cool idea. You've got an inexpensive can that you don't use much. Depending on what you are putting it on, barrels are not very expensive. You can use the $200 you save on an SBR stamp to get a different suppressor.

I wouldn't be worried about barrel cleaning. You could use a nylon bristled bore brush, and not have to worry about anything getting stuck in the can. As far as cleaning the can, most agree that rifle cans don't really need cleaning so long as you are shooting jacketed ammunition.

If you decide to go this route, please post some pics.

This is an idea I'm trying to complete NOW
    I use to have a glock 17 and ran it suppressed but soon figured out I don't like 17" pistols and not very convenient for most anything. That being said I RARELY attach a Gentech Tundra to anything....so then my friend asked let's try out your tundra on his SBR 338 Spectre. All I can say is WOW. So I've since decided to build a 9" 300 Blackout upper and have this can permanently attached thus making it 16.1 upper that I can attach to any lower. It uses a can that is a paper weight at the moment and saves me the $200 SBR tax. I think it's a great use of a can.....GO FOR IT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the inside of the same model of suppressor in the OP. I wouldn't want to be cleaning a rifle barrel with this permanently attached to the end.
    M4-2000new.jpg
    Negative, that is an M4-2000 Mod 08. The M4-1000 only has three baffles. Frankly, I wouldn't be that concerned about a patch falling off. Just use a jag that retains the patch. And if one does fall out, a single mag dump will ensure that it doesn't exist inside the silencer any more.