• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Sub $1000 mildot 20x + scope

Sjp770

Private
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2011
Hi all.

I am looking to purchase a new remington 700 SPS .308 and I want to start long distance shooting. What I really want is a decent scope that fulfills these requirements:
1. Mildot
2. 1/4 MOA adjustments
3. Variable with max of 20x or more.
4. Preferably 50mm with 95% light transmission.

I live in Australia, so I would need to have it shipped to me or through a service like shipto.com

I was looking at a Nikon Monarch, but now that i understand about the mildot reticle I would prefer a scope with it. Leupold would be better but I think I might have to drop to 14x to afford one.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Sub $1000 mildot 20x + scope

As for point 4 - is 50mm better? I imagine that 50mm vs 40mm would allow better low light shooting.

I was looking at a Vortex viper scope and even though it was a 32x max the mil dot was only accurate at 14x. Is there any point going above 14x if I want to use mildot? Or was it just that brand that does it like that? From what I read it is usually accurate at max zoom only...

If it is only good at 14x then a leupold should be obtainable.

here are a few to consider.

Vortex, Burris, Sightron, trijicon (right at a grand)

I wonder why in this age of great mil-hash reticles anybody would care for the "blast-from-the-past" mil-dot (less convenient, and - given the same level of training - less accurate). In the same tone, in this age when the industry figured out how to produce and deliver MIL/MIL and MOA/MOA scopes with turrets matching the reticle - why would somebody want to get a mil-dot reticle with MOA turrets.

Stil, it's your rifle and your money - you'll do as you please.

Sightron SIII fixed 20x42 is what I would pick. It offers everything you are looking for except the 50mm objective (42mm obj). Outstanding glass, easily equal to a Leupold MK4, with a modified mil dot reticle (half mil hash marks).

Oh yeah, street price of roughly $525.

thanks for the replies. Mouse - what reticle would you suggest I research? I am new so I'm only at th research stage.
I like the idea of being able to easily estimate range of a known target, but I would prefer 1/8 adjustments : I don't need to change range quickly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sjp770</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi all.

I was looking at a Nikon Monarch, but now that i understand about the mildot reticle I would prefer a scope with it. Leupold would be better but I think I might have to drop to 14x to afford one.

Any help would be appreciated. </div></div>

If you're willing to give up a little magnification, the Monarch 4-16x scopes are available with a mil-dot reticle. If not, there have been some outstanding options already posted by others.

I will go with Zeiss conquest 6.5-20 x 50 mildot.

thanks for the replies. Mouse - what reticle would you suggest I research? I am new so I'm only at th research stage.
I like the idea of being able to easily estimate range of a known target, but I would prefer 1/8 adjustments : I don't need to change range quickly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sjp770</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks for the replies. Mouse - what reticle would you suggest I research? I am new so I'm only at th research stage.
I like the idea of being able to easily estimate range of a known target, but I would prefer 1/8 adjustments : I don't need to change range quickly.</div></div>
I suggest you look at mil-hash reticles that mark the distances/angles with hash-marks rather than dots, so you don't need to subdivide a ball to figure out the fractions.

I absolutely love Vortex EBR-2B reticle design: (a) convenient overall, (b) provides me with hash-marks to 0.2 mRad thus making ranging with the reticle easier (much easier than using mil-dots), (c) has "Christmas tree" to make reticle hold offs easier/more accurate - yet doesn't overwhelm the view with aiming points that could obscure the target at long range, (d) at low magnification makes it easy to acquire targets and aim.

So the closer a reticle approaches this design/style the better I like it. In the price range you mention - the best reticle in <span style="text-decoration: underline">my</span> opinion is EBR-1 MRAD reticle from Vortex on Viper PST scope.

I never had a scope with 1/8 MOA adjustments, so can't comment. For me it has always been sufficient to have 0.1 mRad adjustments that match my reticle (comparable to 1/4 MOA, and twise as coarse as 1/8 would be). Since you're new and are only researching - ask yourself why you think you'd benefit from 1/8 MOA adjustments (what impact shift you'd see on target, at what range, how you plan to determine that you need 11 of 1/8 rather than 12, etc), and discuss it with those who have more experience. I think many of good shooters around here are more than happy with their 0.1 mRad and/or 1/4 MOA. I also think everybody here would agree that it's better to have turrets and reticle matching (MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sjp770</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
1. Mildot
2. 1/4 MOA adjustments
</div></div>

Don't do it. Just don't.

Pick one or the other. Either mil / mil, or MOA / MOA.
--