• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sub $1000 spotting scopes.

tomcatfan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2010
Southern MD.
So I ordered an Athlon Ares 20-60 spotting scope from a hide vendor back in early June and they have been given the run around by Athlon and I still don’t have scope in hand. I’m getting a little impatient so if I don’t get it within the next 2 weeks, I’m going to ask for my money back and go another route. I’m looking at what is in the same price range and I’ve found a couple of options. Does anyone have feedback on these other options?

Leopold SX-4 proguide. 20x60x85

Sightron SII BL 20x60x85

I have a couple of SIII scopes and they are amazing from a glass standpoint. Does the SII spotting scopes compete with the SII spotting scopes as far as glass quality?

In that price range (sub $1K), I’d be looking at a lightly used, or maybe even new if you search around- Vortex Razor HD- either new or old model. Maybe a Leupold GR HD if you don’t need as much magnification. Another option, though not sure on prices would be the Nikon Monarch ED Fieldscopes.

Reactions: Ghost1941
Leupy doesn't get much love especially on here but side by side they perform extremely well. During our demo days the Leupold always had the shock factor, this is a Leupold.

For the money, Bushnell Legend T is hard to beat.

I never sold Sightrons so cant say.

If possible, try to look them before purchasing.

I bought a Vortex Diamondback 20-60x80, it was basically worthless for spotting .22 cal holes at 200y with any mirage present. IMO you have to be very careful buying lower priced spotting scopes.

On another note, JUNE, I would ask for my money back unless the vendor let you know that it was on back order or had a particular wait time.

I agree. Been to boomershoot, shots out to 880 yards if I remember was the top of the hill boomer, no problem seeing splashes every shot in all kinds of weather, bright sun and howling cloudy snain. Obviously a hit is quite visual, one shot I could the splash hit the lower right edge of the boomer, rip it open but no boomer. Had a few shooters wanting to know what spotter I had and took a peek through, most were impressed. Out to 1100 is the longest I can report.

yes. you are not going to see bullet holes at 600 yards at paper. But for steel I have had no issues seeing impacts at 1,000 yds. Plus have the mil reticle on it is a bonus.

Reactions: htowncoog
without hesitation I'll say the KOWA 82mm with a strait eye piece and the uncoated lenses. I have one, and have about $780 in it plus the cover. I use the 27x eyepiece, and it'll pick out the pull pin on a pop rivit at 375 yards with no problems. Your gonna have to spend about $1200 to get something better, and then only slightly better

On another note, JUNE, I would ask for my money back unless the vendor let you know that it was on back order or had a particular wait time.
So they didn't mention that it wasnt in stock when I placed my order and I called about 2 weeks later when they told me it was on back order. They have gotten at least 3 different delivery dates from Athlon since then. I dont blame the vendor which is why I will keep their name out of it, but my patience is wearing thin for Athlon.

Leupy doesn't get much love especially on here but side by side they perform extremely well. During our demo days the Leupold always had the shock factor, this is a Leupold.

For the money, Bushnell Legend T is hard to beat.

I never sold Sightrons so cant say.

If possible, try to look them before purchasing.
I'm looking at glass quality as my biggest deciding factor. I was told by the vendor that the Athlon Ares was competitive with the Vortex Razor which is why I went that route. I'm looking for something to spot ELR. I'm going to try past 1000 soon and was looking for a spotter for that purpose. All shots will be at steel.

I bought a Vortex Diamondback 20-60x80, it was basically worthless for spotting .22 cal holes at 200y with any mirage present. IMO you have to be very careful buying lower priced spotting scopes.
I'm hoping there is a difference between the low end and the medium tier scopes. There should be a difference between a $300 and a $900 spotting scope.

I'm hoping there is a difference between the low end and the medium tier scopes. There should be a difference between a $300 and a $900 spotting scope.

There is.

I have a cheap Tasco.
It’s ok a 1000 yards.
My buddy’s have razors, Leupolds and a Kowa and they’re awesome at 1000 and even a mile.

I’m not sure about the Ares being as good as a razor but I doubt the ares with suck eggs like the low end vortex products and tasco.

I dont use too many other spotting scopes but the now discontinued vortex razor hd I was given is pretty impressive and I saw an add for 800 or so I think when I first took possession of it.
I have both the 20-60 and 30x mil dot eyepieces. I dont like that you have to get your eye right up on the scope for a full view (my glasses interfere so a bit of tunnel vision leaving them on so not a whole lot of eye relief) but I cant complain about the image quality.
1566240717391.png