• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Sub 30oz durable long range hunting scope?

Joko111

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2021
Maryland
I have a swfa 3-15 sitting on top of my proof research rifle, this was just a temporary optic to cover me for this hunting season, but I am looking into upgrading this scope. I’ve looked at the credo 2.5-15, lrhs/lrts if I can find one, Tract toric, curious what you All recommend, I prefer ffp but I am okay with sfp, I’ll be shooting out to 1k but 600 on game

TBH hard to beat the SWFA 3-15, but glass could use some help. Definitely a tough scope though. I had good luck with my 3.3-18 XTR3i this year (it replaced an SFP SWFA 3-15). Rode 8 miles in a scabbard on a horse that liked to jump creeks then shot an elk in the heart at 630. It took some good bumps too just walking with it. I think a lot of scope “toughness” comes down to your mounting system. The most ultralight single screw rings probably aren’t going to do you any favors

TBH hard to beat the SWFA 3-15, but glass could use some help. Definitely a tough scope though. I had good luck with my 3.3-18 XTR3i this year (it replaced an SFP SWFA 3-15). Rode 8 miles in a scabbard on a horse that liked to jump creeks then shot an elk in the heart at 630. It took some good bumps too just walking with it. I think a lot of scope “toughness” comes down to your mounting system. The most ultralight single screw rings probably aren’t going to do you any favors
I use arc m brace so I shouldn’t have any issues in the ring department… I have looked at that scope

How did you find the reticle for hunting? I have one for that exact purpose and am trying to get a view through a US made XTR3 with the SCR-Mil reticle. On the XTR2 I know the lower mag model had a thicker SCR reticle than the higher mag. I find the SCR2 in my illuminated model to be pretty darn thin and I'm wondering if switching to the non-illum SCR is better.

This was the replacement for an LRHS, which worked great but had poor FOV. I have an SWFA 3-9 which I find to be way over-praised.

Reactions: Joko111
I have a swfa 3-15 sitting on top of my proof research rifle, this was just a temporary optic to cover me for this hunting season, but I am looking into upgrading this scope. I’ve looked at the credo 2.5-15, lrhs/lrts if I can find one, Tract toric, curious what you All recommend, I prefer ffp but I am okay with sfp, I’ll be shooting out to 1k but 600 on game

Definitely the Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x44.

They are just as durable as the SWFA, better glass though, great illumination, reticle is decent even at low power, light weight (24 oz). After much deliberation and research I settled on it as the best mid tier overall scope.

Definitely the Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x44.

They are just as durable as the SWFA, better glass though, great illumination, reticle is decent even at low power, light weight (24 oz). After much deliberation and research I settled on it as the best mid tier overall scope.
15 inches long… that’s what kinda made me steer away from it

How did you find the reticle for hunting? I have one for that exact purpose and am trying to get a view through a US made XTR3 with the SCR-Mil reticle. On the XTR2 I know the lower mag model had a thicker SCR reticle than the higher mag. I find the SCR2 in my illuminated model to be pretty darn thin and I'm wondering if switching to the non-illum SCR is better.

This was the replacement for an LRHS, which worked great but had poor FOV. I have an SWFA 3-9 which I find to be way over-praised.

I had no issues with it, but I didn’t end up shooting anything closer than 250 yards. I feel like I can see the reticle well enough to use at close range on low power just testing at the range and in low light just flip the illumination on. The USA made one has a thinner reticle than the illuminated one

Which LRHS? 4.5-18?
I haven’t used one, but have the smaller 3-12 LRHS. I’ve read on here that most think it’s the pick of them.

It’s been truly excellent, and I think they’re getting hard to find - but might be a solution?

15 inches long… that’s what kinda made me steer away from it

If the length is too much, then my next recommendation, although pricier, I'd have to say the Nightforce NX8 4-32x50 with Mil-XT reticle (or whichever reticle you prefer).

This one I don't actually own unlike the tenmile so my opinion is based on other peoples' anecdotes and the specifications of the scope. Durability is top tier, sub 30 oz, glass is supposedly fantastic, illuminated, and vs the 2.5-20, the 4-32 is said to have a better eyebox. If you are OK with the tighter eyebox the 2.5-20 may suit you better due to the even shorter length and slightly lighter weight.

I lump Nightforce, Trijicon, and SWFA in tier 1 due to the reliability of holding zero against drops/impacts.

Reactions: Genin and Joko111
If the length is too much, then my next recommendation, although pricier, I'd have to say the Nightforce NX8 4-32x50 with Mil-XT reticle (or whichever reticle you prefer).

This one I don't actually own unlike the tenmile so my opinion is based on other peoples' anecdotes and the specifications of the scope. Durability is top tier, sub 30 oz, glass is supposedly fantastic, illuminated, and vs the 2.5-20, the 4-32 is said to have a better eyebox. If you are OK with the tighter eyebox the 2.5-20 may suit you better due to the even shorter length and slightly lighter weight.

I lump Nightforce, Trijicon, and SWFA in tier 1 due to the reliability of holding zero against drops/impacts.
I’m really curious to see how this delta Stryker compares to them… they sound great

Which LRHS? 4.5-18?
I haven’t used one, but have the smaller 3-12 LRHS. I’ve read on here that most think it’s the pick of them.

It’s been truly excellent, and I think they’re getting hard to find - but might be a solution?
I've had a few LRHS and LRTS 4.5-18's, and a LRTS 3-12. I believe the illuminated G2H or G3 reticle is far superior to the non-illum G3, the reticle in my 3-12 was very thin and hard to hunt with. I've maybe seen a 3-12 LRHS for sale once, ever, so it isn't really an option, and is still hamstrung by it's narrow FOV. Otherwise pretty good glass and the G2H reticle is awesome.

LRTSi 3-12 is on my lightweight hunting rifle. Checks all the boxes.
Also have the S&B ultra klassik 3-12 with the mil reticle and the exposed turrets but can only dial 3.2 mils on these so hardly a long range option.
NX8 4-32 is a good option but I found the glass bland for the money.

I'm sure some people will say it's not durable because it's Vortex, but I really like the LHT 4.5-22. No durability issues for me.
I'd take it over a Leupy any day of the week.

@Joko111 With your specs you desire, the NX8 4-32x50 MIL-XT sounds like your best bet. Got a buddy with a 2.5-20 and 4-32 NX8's and he loves them. They're solid scoops for the price, and if you get MIL/LEO/Vet pricing at EuroOptic, it will be really hard to beat.

I’ve been using the Nightforce SHV 4-14x50F1 for a few years and have been quite happy.

Pretty sure it’s less than 30 oz but I don’t remember.

I've had a few LRHS and LRTS 4.5-18's, and a LRTS 3-12. I believe the illuminated G2H or G3 reticle is far superior to the non-illum G3, the reticle in my 3-12 was very thin and hard to hunt with. I've maybe seen a 3-12 LRHS for sale once, ever, so it isn't really an option, and is still hamstrung by it's narrow FOV. Otherwise pretty good glass and the G2H reticle is awesome.

The Hensoldt ZF 3-12 has slightly worse FOV and is considered excellent (if not somewhat outdated)

A81CEDD1-EBAA-4B99-8B8E-4868E013C7C4.jpeg

LRHS

48C193CB-4C39-4312-A7AE-89A46B67F42E.jpeg

Not to be argumentative, but the LRHS has decent FOV and I think ticks the boxes for you.

You’ll be able to find one, maybe a WTB here?

The Hensoldt ZF 3-12 has slightly worse FOV and is considered excellent (if not somewhat outdated)

View attachment 8298439

LRHS

View attachment 8298440

Not to be argumentative, but the LRHS has decent FOV and I think ticks the boxes for you.

You’ll be able to find one, maybe a WTB here?
The LRHS is really a pretty good scope and an easy recommendation for a hunting rifle. I want to try something more modern and with the better FOV that wide angle eyeboxes offer. I’ll likely grab a Burris XTR3. I got an illuminated 3.3-18 model that was supposed to be the improved version, then got a US made non-illum 5.5-30 with the SCR reticle and I can definitely say that the SCR is far easier to see than the SCR2 on the newer model. I’m going to find a US made 3.3-18 and give it a shot.

Reactions: FuhQ
My favorite scope by far is the NXS 2.5-10x42. I've really struggled finding something with more magnification. I currently have been rotating thru a Nightforce NX8 2.5-20, Razor LHT 3-15, ATACR 4-16x42 on my other hunting rifle. I also just grabbed a Leupold MK5HD 3.6-18 with the illuminated TMR that I plan on trying as well. Wish I was able to grab a TT315H to try as well, but would need to sell a few other scopes first.

I guess I should say that I haven't actually shot at game past 500yds with the NXS 2.5-10x42. Have shot deer at 485yds, 345yds, 385yds and 389yds this year. And a buddy borrowed my rifle to shoot his deer at 445yds because his scope died as he was trying to get dialed. I shoot mine to 1000yds on 10" steel easier enough. However more magnification is easier for spotting misses.

Last edited:
Glad I found this post. Had planned to share my HD LHT 4.5-22x50 with 2 firearms (1 with 0 moa and the other with 30 moa cant), but I don't have enough internal elevation to get a 100yd zero on the 30moa host. So in the market to get a different scope.

From the specs. The Vortex has 75 moa so you should be ok as far as the 30 moa rail goes.
no. High probability that I will not have enough elevation to compensate for the 30 moa rail. For example, currently my HD LHT is on my Sig Cross (0 cant). With a 100yd zero I have 7.4 mils wasted (can dial 15 mils up). I also mounted the same optic on a Tikka T3X this weekend and also have 7.6 mils wasted. Since I tested my HD LHT on 2 rifles, it's telling me that I don't have enough mils available to account for the 30 moa integrated rail in my action (8.7 mils). This is just theoretical at the moment.

NXS 2.5-10 (or something close). If you want more top end, NX8 4-32.

I have had the NX8 on a 300NMI for the last few years and it has done a great job for me. IMHO, you have to spend a lot more $$$ to get a little more performance (glass)

My favorite scope by far is the NXS 2.5-10x42. I've really struggled finding something with more magnification. I currently have been rotating thru a Nightforce NX8 2.5-20, Razor LHT 3-15, ATACR 4-16x42 on my other hunting rifle. I also just grabbed a Leupold MK5HD 3.6-18 with the illuminated TMR that I plan on trying as well. Wish I was able to grab a TT315H to try as well, but would need to sell a few other scopes first.

I guess I should say that I haven't actually shot at game past 500yds with the NXS 2.5-10x42. Have shot deer at 485yds, 345yds, 385yds and 389yds this year. And a buddy borrowed my rifle to shoot his deer at 445yds because his scope died as he was trying to get dialed. I shoot mine to 1000yds on 10" steel easier enough. However more magnification is easier for spotting misses.
What haven't you liked about all these other scopes?

I've heard a lot of people signing praises for the 2.5-10, from the limited experience I've had I wasn't blown away.

I must be missing something about it.

What haven't you liked about all these other scopes?

I've heard a lot of people signing praises for the 2.5-10, from the limited experience I've had I wasn't blown away.

I must be missing something about it.

It's all personal preference so take it as such.
I hunt the PNW which has both timber and rolling hills so that also plays a part.

NX8 2.5-20- in timber or low light the reticle is unusable at the lower power without the illumination turned on. I did use it to head shot a elk at 10yds in the timber. It was in the middle of a herd and if the illumination failed or battery died there is no way I could have tagged out. I do have 3 elk with this scope and half dozen deer.

The ATACR 4-16x42- I hunt on the lowest power and zoom in as needed. I really don't like the rotating eyepiece it's always seems to be in the way of running my bolt. And it's physically a little larger then I would like for my hunting rifles. The size I can get over, but I generally take the eyepiece cover off when I hunt and never feel good about that.

Vortex LRH- this one is my newest one and I'm still building trust in it. I don't care for the sfp with the top being 15x. I never actually shoot at game zoomed in that high. I am usually down around 8-9power for the larger FOV. The FFP 3-15 PST Gen2 on my kids hunting rifle seems plenty usable on 3x.

NXS 2.5-10x42-this is just a goldilocks scope for me. It's not the best glass, but good enough. 10x on the high end is about perfect for my style of hunting. Dialing has been rock solid. Physically the size fits on a hunting rifle and doesn't look out of place. Reticle (Mil-R) works great for me. The downside is I wish it had 15x on the top end. The one time I wanted to replace it was trying to find the buck I picked out in my spotting scope when he was in the middle of a handful of other bucks.

I've tried both the vx5hd 2-10 and 3-15 but sold them as they weren't reliably tracking.

I just picked up a MK5HD 3.6-18 but didn't get it on this year.

The NXS 2.5-10x42 is the jack of all trades, but master of none. I have a scope that beats it in every category, but this one is well rounded and just does good in all of them.

Now if I could find a 50% off sale for a Tangent TT315H I would like to try one.

Reactions: Bakwa and beetroot
Nx8 2.5-20 has been a good fit for a do it all for me on my fix. Shooting steel to 1200ish, day and night hunting with nv and thermal clip ons. With the mil-xt, for me the reticle is still useable at 2.5x. As fast as a duplex or something with coarse posts, no, but useable. I had a 3.6-18 mk5 with a tremor 3 that I liked the size, weight and glass but the Horus reticles are absolutely unusable to me at low magnification and I don’t care for their other options either.

The ATACR 4-16x42- I hunt on the lowest power and zoom in as needed. I really don't like the rotating eyepiece it's always seems to be in the way of running my bolt. And it's physically a little larger then I would like for my hunting rifles. The size I can get over, but I generally take the eyepiece cover off when I hunt and never feel good about that.
I hate the rotating eyepiece. Same issues here.

Have you considered March or S&B?

I finally grabbed a March 4.5-28x in the PX and am very excited to try it. The only "cross over" scope I haven't tried multiple times at this point.

otherwise, I think the newer NX8s or LHT are the ones to beat at the moment. Just depends on what you want feature wise.

I'm a broken record. but really hoping there's a Gen 2 Razor AMG soon

The Maven RS1.2 (2.5-15x44) and RS3.2 (5-30x50) might be worth a look.

They’re both under 30oz, FFP, and available with Mil turrets and reticles.

Thanks for throwing the Maven 2.5-15 in there in Mils. The MOA always turned me off and I had been hassling them about a Mil version but sort of forgot about it, thanks for the reminder.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
The 3-12 LRHS G2H or the 3-12 LRTSi to me is the ticket. Checks every box for a crossover. Yes the fov is a little tight, glass is good but not great. However I can name multiple more negatives for every other scope (xtr3i,LHT, ATACR, etc) in that space minus the TT and ZCO types as I haven’t tried those and don’t plan on it. I’m hopeful vortex will drop a new AMG or something that’ll take over this void though.