• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sub $450 optic?

Update. Arken info replied and they suggest Vibra-Tite 122 or Vibra-tite VC-3. It is a threadlocker but is supposed to be flexible enough to loosen when needed.

And that might be a requirement on any scope that uses set screws for turret covers. Still liking my Vortex, I like how Arken is easier to adjust zero and zero stop. Just that set screw getting loose thing that has been a problem.

Not a fan of the Pst gen1 6-24 at all. Hated everything about the one I had

am a fan of the gen 2 though. can get for around $600 new or less used

BSA is your friend...

Or for good advice... check the optics section.

Because here in the Bear Pit... we are not your friends ;-)

Ah ha hahha haa....

Sirhr
@Sirhr: Steering a brother 'Hide'r to BSA is just flat un-cool. Especially when there are so many great choices out there. This one, is a little above the OP's stated price point but is definitely worth reaching for. Sadly, now discontinued but maybe in the Optics for sale section...? https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1009297029
CSR.jpg

Edit to add Reticule of Awesomeness. SFP, but 48xo_O, AND Zantitium coated optics.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 338dude
@Sirhr: Steering a brother 'Hide'r to BSA is just flat un-cool. Especially when there are so many great choices out there. This one, is a little above the OP's stated price point but is definitely worth reaching for. Sadly, now discontinued but maybe in the Optics for sale section...? https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1009297029View attachment 8008740

Edit to add Reticule of Awesomeness. SFP, but 48xo_O, AND Zantitium coated optics.

How about some of this then?

7D80FF8C-FDC6-47F3-9F77-28CEA3688A13.jpeg

It’s snipery and lasery and flashligjty and it has rails on which you can add more snipery stuff?

Sirhr

How about some of this then?

View attachment 8008948

It’s snipery and lasery and flashligjty and it has rails on which you can add more snipery stuff?

Sirhr
Sirh, You're being a little silly today; first, the unseemly comment about the BSA, now this. Obviously, this nice thing goes on top of the Counter Sniper so the night can be dominated by badassery. However, we've totally blown through the $450 budget and night ops weren't part of the original RFP by the OP.... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 338dude
OP, on a serious note, check out SWFA scopes. I have a 30mm 16x mil fixed on my .308 in an XLR chassis and it has been great for under $300.

Sirh, You're being a little silly today; first, the unseemly comment about the BSA, now this. Obviously, this nice thing goes on top of the Counter Sniper so the night can be dominated by badassery. However, we've totally blown through the $450 budget and night ops weren't part of the original RFP by the OP.... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Sorry, I didn't mean to insult BSA by including it in this thread... Just 'sayin.

If you bury it in accessories, noone will know that you have a Chinese Airsoft Scope... so, try this!

accessories.jpg

And if you shop carefully on Amazon, you can get all that (and more) for $450.

Hey, this is the Bear Pit? What does anyone expect?

Sirhr

accessories 3.jpg

Or do what I do... hide a collimated video camera under an ersatz cat and then watch your target projected into your Oakley's... as the target goes "Here Kitty Kitty..."

You don't need magnification when a terrorist walks up to you with a bowl of milk, do you?

Yes, you can buy this.

Sirhr

Update, I am going to try my Arken units, again. I do like their feature set and they are essentially comparable to a Strike Eagle with brighter glass. I plan to use the Vibra Tite. I am the kind of guy who likes to zero at 100 and just keep it it that way and dial whatever I need. Other than Arken warranty replying, I have tried questioning a few other supposed experts who legitimately have more experience with scopes than I do and they could not answer. But I have checked other forums. A guy with an SWFA scope had a similar problem. So, it is not a material cost problem and it is not a manufacturing defect. It is an element of the design of such turrets. Quickly adjustable target turrets are going to be set screw. And they are going to need a threadlocker or even a bit of nail polish, as some have suggested. Point being, vibration from recoil will cause the set screws to move.

What I like about the Arken is that there is more MOA. Not that I often do it but I like the idea of having my scope on my zero MOA rail for hunting but I could go a thousand yards from that zero MOA rail. True, if I was shooting 1K and further all the time, I would put on a 20 MOA canted rail and zero at 200 yards and get a bunch of turret travel back.

I like the ease of re-setting zero and zero stop. I like the illumination, though I hardly use it. I like the reticle. It is generic version of the Horus but it allows me to range, which I sometimes do., Especially in a wooded scenario where I am not completely convinced the laser is right.

Has anyone else here who have used scopes that use set screws for adjusting the turrets encountered this problem, regardless of brand or cost, and the solution was a pliant thread locker? Again, it is my theory that this is a matter of design and not a flaw.

Update, I am going to try my Arken units, again. I do like their feature set and they are essentially comparable to a Strike Eagle with brighter glass. I plan to use the Vibra Tite. I am the kind of guy who likes to zero at 100 and just keep it it that way and dial whatever I need. Other than Arken warranty replying, I have tried questioning a few other supposed experts who legitimately have more experience with scopes than I do and they could not answer. But I have checked other forums. A guy with an SWFA scope had a similar problem. So, it is not a material cost problem and it is not a manufacturing defect. It is an element of the design of such turrets. Quickly adjustable target turrets are going to be set screw. And they are going to need a threadlocker or even a bit of nail polish, as some have suggested. Point being, vibration from recoil will cause the set screws to move.

What I like about the Arken is that there is more MOA. Not that I often do it but I like the idea of having my scope on my zero MOA rail for hunting but I could go a thousand yards from that zero MOA rail. True, if I was shooting 1K and further all the time, I would put on a 20 MOA canted rail and zero at 200 yards and get a bunch of turret travel back.

I like the ease of re-setting zero and zero stop. I like the illumination, though I hardly use it. I like the reticle. It is generic version of the Horus but it allows me to range, which I sometimes do., Especially in a wooded scenario where I am not completely convinced the laser is right.

Has anyone else here who have used scopes that use set screws for adjusting the turrets encountered this problem, regardless of brand or cost, and the solution was a pliant thread locker? Again, it is my theory that this is a matter of design and not a flaw.
I’ve been using my arken 4x16 for over a year I love it can’t beat it for the cost and I have never had one problem with my Turrets coming loose!

Reactions: Ronws
Vortex Venom FFP 5-25X56 $419 at Amazon
Arken EP 5-25X56 $449 at Amazon. If you go to Arken, you can get on the mailing list and then get a discount code that lets you get a package of goodies for free. That package is a range bag, ring mounts, throw lever, scope level. If you want Arken, go to their site

I am a Vortex fan boy. A problem I have had with my Arken scopes is the set screws getting loose over time sitting in the gun cabinet. Pull it out and have the turret covers spin. That has happened zero times with my Vortex.

You can also get Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24X50. It does not have zero stop and the Venom does. The Venom is a Strike Eagle without the reticle illumination. Squeeze a few more pennies. Buy once, cry once.
Try putting a dab of clear fingernail polish on the set screws. It’ll help keep them in but won’t lock tite them in.

Reactions: Ronws
I have NF optics on my FTR guns. Have a NF ATACR I use on my .338 and .50 BMG. I often take the ATACR off and use on a .22 to shoot long range rimfire, where I need the internal elevation.

Just bought an EP5 for this purpose after reading a bunch of nothing but positive reviews.
Looking forward to seeing how it performs.

• Love
Reactions: 338dude and Ronws
This guy bought the scope 5 months ago at this point and y'all are still arguing which shit box scope is best still.........

Doc

Try putting a dab of clear fingernail polish on the set screws. It’ll help keep them in but won’t lock tite them in.
I just got some Vibra Tite VC-3. Just got to get to a range and check zero. I think the scope is still close from the last time I had it on.

Reactions: Eddystone
I have NF optics on my FTR guns. Have a NF ATACR I use on my .338 and .50 BMG. I often take the ATACR off and use on a .22 to shoot long range rimfire, where I need the internal elevation.

Just bought an EP5 for this purpose after reading a bunch of nothing but positive reviews.
Looking forward to seeing how it performs.
I also hear good things about it. Some bad reviews say that there is chromatic aberration. Every scope with coatings will have that but I have not seen it be a problem in my Arken or my Vortex scopes.

However, for rangefinder, I have the Vortex Crossfire HD1400 which is an improvment over my Ranger 1300. And my Diamondback 12X50 binocs are awesome. I have no idea how I could hunt before getting those. I also have a Crossfire II 3-9X40 Dead Hold that came on my Mossberg Patriot. A few Diamondback Tactical 6-24X50 scopes. 4 of the Venoms. But I also have 3 of the SH4 Gen 2 6-24X50 and one of the She4 Gen 2 4-16X50. Again, I like the Arkens for more MOA and easy adjustments and big fat turrets. My only problem is the turret screws backing off. It seems about 50/50. Some people have had the problem, others never have.

Then, again, I have no problem checking torque on ring mounts, before and after a range session.

Anyway, so, I hope you come back and make a thread to report your experience with it. I am a geek for scopes, obviously.

This guy bought the scope 5 months ago at this point and y'all are still arguing which shit box scope is best still.........

Doc
One nagging question. Which guy? The OP just ordered his scope last week, as opposed to 5 months ago.