• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sub $500-ish 308AR scope recs?

RichS

Private
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2001
PG County Maryland
Alrighty,
So I'm finally getting my Aero M5 put together. Going with 18" .308. Range toy/blaster with current access to 100 yards. If I end up joining Ft. Meade, I'll have access to 600. Anyway, I'm looking at sub $500-ish.

So I'm thinking....

Swampfox 1-10?
Sightron Stac 3-16?
Athlon Helos BTR 2.5-12?
Arken SH-4?

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Reactions: JDB55
Sightron stac 3-16, only one not made in china I believe. Just gonna be a better OEM'd scope generally speaking. Also a really good mag range for an AR10, a nice big objective, FFP and fairly lightweight.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
Alrighty,
So I'm finally getting my Aero M5 put together. Going with 18" .308. Range toy/blaster with current access to 100 yards. If I end up joining Ft. Meade, I'll have access to 600. Anyway, I'm looking at sub $500-ish.

So I'm thinking....

Swampfox 1-10?
Sightron Stac 3-16?
Athlon Helos BTR 2.5-12?
Arken SH-4?

Thoughts? Recommendations?
Arken SH4 Gen2 6-24x50 VPR MIL in the Arken 20 MOA Rigid AR mount will be damn hard to beat. I run this setup on my 6.5 Grendel. Just got back from the range today. Excellent setup. I have 3 of those scopes, they're awesome optics for the money.

Reactions: z71rat
Just read the threads on the arken scopes. Grease all over leaking, spring back, made in china by whomever. Sightron has factories in the Philippines and Japan. The SH-4 has problems,it aint watertight.Fuhq always pushes Arken. I have a S III on a 22 now for over 10 years and is still tracking.

Just read the threads on the arken scopes. Grease all over leaking, spring back, made in china by whomever. Sightron has factories in the Philippines and Japan. The SH-4 has problems,it aint watertight.Fuhq always pushes Arken. I have a S III on a 22 now for over 10 years and is still tracking.
And you're always bashing Arken and bitching about China... What other options does he have in the $500 or less price range that AREN'T made in China, that will offer what he is wanting, and can actually handle some abuse, because they actually have some robustness to them? None...

I hate China as much as you do, but I'd love to look in your house and see how many appliances or cars you drive that were either made in China or have chinese parts in them. Don't be a hypocrite...Go ahead and throw out your TV, cell phone, microwave, stove, oven, refrigerator, dish washer, coffee maker, ECM, TCM, and PCM for your car or any ATV's you own, your laptops and computers, sell your ATV/UTV, sell your import cars, etc... 🤣

There's only been ONE scope talking about leaking grease. Water tight issues were supposedly fixed by Arken months ago...I don't know, as I don't go scuba diving with my scopes... 🙄 And as for spring-back, that really makes zero difference in function and tracking. It's just something to bitch about by being nit-picky.

Swampfox 1-10 is good value -- Hard to beat it for the price.

Sfox 1-10 has a very tight eye box at 10x. Not unusable, but not comfortable imo. The 1-8 is a little better, having tried both. They are also quite beastly. I have a PST Gen 2 1-6 coming in for my "DMR", hoping that will fit the bill, but I also very much like my Bushnell match pro. https://www.bushnell.com/riflescopes/match-pro/match-pro-6-24x50-riflescope/P2178035.html
A few glowing reviews out there. The swampfoxes can be had cheap if you are lucky off reddit. I picked up mine for $280 a month ago.

Swampfox 1-10 is good value -- Hard to beat it for the price.
Cr1775 will bitch that it's made in China... So, we can't have that, or any Primary Arms scopes on the list either... And most of the Vortex lineup.

Last edited:
I hate China as much as you do, but I'd love to look in your house and see how many appliances or cars you drive that were either made in China or have chinese parts in them. Don't be a hypocrite...Go ahead and throw out your TV, cell phone, microwave, stove, oven, refrigerator, dish washer, coffee maker, ECM, TCM, and PCM for your car or any ATV's you own, your laptops and computers, sell your ATV/UTV, sell your import cars, etc.
You left out his Chinese blow up doll, just sayin.......

Would throw the Weaver 3-15 EMDR into your mix. Good glass, solid tracking, simple reticle, illuminated and can be found under $500 with a little effort. Not on your list, but worth a look.

Definitely go with the Sighttron as someone who actually owns an Arken. Doug @ Camera Land is running a sale on them.

Want to give input on the SF 1-10, I had one as well and wasn't impressed. If you're thinking of getting a 1-10 I'd look at the Sig Tango 1-10 which is another cheap Chinese 1-10 but comes in right at $500. PA will also be releasing a SLx 1-10 as well.

Last edited:

Yeah, that's always one of the first places I look. That and sageratsafaris. Quick question, are the links to the optics at the bottom of the page the actual recommendations, or just advertising?

Anyway, I have some researching to do. While I prefer NOT to buy from China, it is a bit disingenuous to spout off about it as we type on computers/phones made in China, drive cars with chips made in China, etc. Politics aside, is a product inferior simply because it's made in China?

From what I've seen after doing a brief search the Sig 1-10 has a really tight eye box at 10x.

I don't see the Weavers anywhere. One one's I've seen that ARE available are $700+. Cheaper than Dirt has them for $1400...LOL

I also found the Vortex 3-15 EBR 2D for $571 at Midway, but I'm wondering why their price is so low (compared to everyone else), something wrong with them?

I have a RT-6 on my Ruger American Ranch that I really like, but I want more magnification.

Sightron Riflescopes are all made in either Japan or the Philippines. They are one of the only, if not maybe the only, Pacific Rim made riflescopes that do not make any of their scopes in China. They are excellent quality and right now during our President's Weekend Sale Through Tuesday 2/22/21 is a great time to give us a call, 516-217-1000, to discuss what would be best for you

Yeah, that's always one of the first places I look. That and sageratsafaris. Quick question, are the links to the optics at the bottom of the page the actual recommendations, or just advertising?

Anyway, I have some researching to do. While I prefer NOT to buy from China, it is a bit disingenuous to spout off about it as we type on computers/phones made in China, drive cars with chips made in China, etc. Politics aside, is a product inferior simply because it's made in China?

From what I've seen after doing a brief search the Sig 1-10 has a really tight eye box at 10x.

I don't see the Weavers anywhere. One one's I've seen that ARE available are $700+. Cheaper than Dirt has them for $1400...LOL

I also found the Vortex 3-15 EBR 2D for $571 at Midway, but I'm wondering why their price is so low (compared to everyone else), something wrong with them?

I have a RT-6 on my Ruger American Ranch that I really like, but I want more magnification.
Not necessarily. And honestly, their tech and abilities seem to be getting much better over the last decade. Like you said, politics aside, it is a bit hypocritical to refuse to buy a rifle scope made in china, when most of their other shooting/hunting/rifle accessories were made in China, as well as 90% of the shit in our houses were made, or have parts that were made in China in them.

I hate that country as much as everyone else, but at least I'm not trying to pretend that our own government is any better or morally superior, or that I'm morally superior, while typing on a computer that was most definitely either made, or has parts made in China in it, and use an iPhone everyday that was made in China, and watch a TV that was made in China, etc... Anyone with eyes can see just how morally bankrupt and evil our own government actually has become (both sides Dem & Rep), and if it weren't for our Constitution and the 2nd Amendment and the sheer numbers of guns and ammo independently owned, we WOULD be China right now, because the Democrats have outright said they want to enslave us, and most of them support killing half of us. Facts are facts.

We The People are ONLY dependent on China, because many many decades ago, our government officials and billionaires and industry moguls comprised backroom trade deals for cheap labor with China, out of pure greed, and have made us (and the rest of the world) nearly completely dependent on them as a source of cheap labor and products ever since.

If an American company, produced American-made scopes, from American made parts, with the robust construction, turrets, and features of the Arkens, and used ED glass for $750-$1000, and had a lifetime warranty, tracking guarantee, and excellent customer service, I'd choose them any day of the week. 👍🏼

If you're talking about the PST Gen2, it's because the EBR-2D is an old reticle. The EBR-7C reticle models are still $1000.

If an American company, produced American-made scopes, from American made parts, with the robust construction, turrets, and features of the Arkens, and used ED glass for $750-$1000, and had a lifetime warranty, tracking guarantee, and excellent customer service, I'd choose them any day of the week. 👍🏼
A quick search under your user name and the word Arken shows 466 posts since October of last year. Please tell us how you're not a blatant shill.

A quick search under your user name and the word Arken shows 466 posts since October of last year. Please tell us how you're not a blatant shill.
Because I started a thread that has nearly 1000 comments in it, and other people asking me questions in other threads about their scopes... The fact you keep trying to make me look like a shill shows just how sad and pathetic your life is. You only have 148 total posts since 2019, and all of them have been being a prick to people, bitching about China, and trying to make people look bad... You contribute absolutely NOTHING productive to this entire forum...And never have.

Oh (un)wise one, please tell us how you're not just another random self-important dickhole troll from Texas... Go ahead, I'll wait. 🤣

Reactions: LonewolfMcQuade
Because I started a thread that has nearly 1000 comments in it, and other people asking me questions in other threads about their scopes... The fact you keep trying to make me look like a shill shows just how sad and pathetic your life is. You only have 148 total posts since 2019, and all of them have been being a prick to people, bitching about China, and trying to make people look bad... You contribute absolutely NOTHING productive to this entire forum...And never have.

Oh (un)wise one, please tell us how you're not just another random self-important dickhole troll from Texas... Go ahead, I'll wait. 🤣
If you didn't want to look like a total idiot, you could at least do two minutes of research before posting your rubbish. A search under my user name and the word China shows a single return. Your Arken posts are not answering anyone. What you are doing is hijacking every thread about affordable scopes with your Arken shilling, like you did this one. At a certain point the numbers don't lie.

Products made in China are spec'd by businesspeople, and the businesspeople are accepting the quality of the product. Complain to the companies accepting the quality of the product.

China has a wildly successful space program. Space is hard.

If you didn't want to look like a total idiot, you could at least do two minutes of research before posting your rubbish. A search under my user name and the word China shows a single return. Your Arken posts are not answering anyone. What you are doing is hijacking every thread about affordable scopes with your Arken shilling, like you did this one. At a certain point the numbers don't lie.
No, when someone asks about them, or mentions them as an option, I share my thoughts, because that's what forums are for. There has been maybe 3 threads that I've mentioned them before anyone else has mentioned them. They were either mentioned by the OP, or by someone else in the thread prior to me. But, since you're only looking to try and discredit me, you're gunning off that one thing.

At a certain point, your personal vendetta against me is pathetic...And it's well beyond that point. And you're right, the numbers don't lie...Out of your 150 posts, you have contributed maybe 15 of them towards something productive on this entire forum, the rest are just you bitching and hating on people because they don't share your sentiment, and circle-jerking with other snobs doing the same thing. It's sad man... Really sad.

If you had even read a single post in my thread, you would see that I'm not a shill... But you won't, because you're trying to label me. Shills don't talk about the negatives, the issues, the problems, what needs fixing/correcting/upgrading. Guess what...My EP5 has to go back to Arken because it's a lemon. If I was a shill, don't you think they would have given me free scopes, and then hand cherry-picked them so they were absolutely perfect? But they didn't... I've bought every fucking scope I've bought from them at full price. My EP5 is hot garbage and it's going back to get replaced with one that's hopefully NOT the same. I even posted about that yesterday evening. Now, would a shill post about that? Or would they lie and say that it's perfect and awesome, and then secretly send it back and pretend everything was 100% fine... Think about that next time you try to label someone as a shill.

Is the EBR-2D vastly inferior or something?
No, it's just a different reticle that they are no longer using on the newer models, so they're clearing them out for the EBR-7C model scopes.

I'd just look the reticles up on Google, compare them, and see which one you prefer. I really like the EBR-7C in my Strike Eagle 5-25x56. That whole scope is a good buy for $699, IMO. You might can even find one cheaper than that on a President's Day sale today. I'd take a good look at look at the Strike Eagle, while you're looking at options.

Usually good deals and big sales can be had with @gr8fuldoug at CameraLand NY, or on the Focus Camera website. I've bought from both, they're good to go. 👍🏼

Last edited:
My throw in is for Arken as well. All of mine have been nothing but awesome, and my new EP5 (even though out of your $$$ range) is a badass!! I have SH4's on my comp rifle, and about to swap it out for the EP5. I have SH4's on my AR10, AR15, 17HMR, 22LR's, and they are built like a tank!!

I bought 2 of the SH 4 6-24's & am very pleased with them. 1 on my RPR 308 & 1 on an Armalite AR10 T. Not as nice of glass as my Trijicons & Leupold's, but definitely better than the Nikon monarch and Bushnell Elite I replaced with the Arkens. Still need 2 more Arken when $$ permits.

Reactions: z71rat
Not necessarily. And honestly, their tech and abilities seem to be getting much better over the last decade. Like you said, politics aside, it is a bit hypocritical to refuse to buy a rifle scope made in china, when most of their other shooting/hunting/rifle accessories were made in China, as well as 90% of the shit in our houses were made, or have parts that were made in China in them.

I hate that country as much as everyone else, but at least I'm not trying to pretend that our own government is any better or morally superior, or that I'm morally superior, while typing on a computer that was most definitely either made, or has parts made in China in it, and use an iPhone everyday that was made in China, and watch a TV that was made in China, etc... Anyone with eyes can see just how morally bankrupt and evil our own government actually has become (both sides Dem & Rep), and if it weren't for our Constitution and the 2nd Amendment and the sheer numbers of guns and ammo independently owned, we WOULD be China right now, because the Democrats have outright said they want to enslave us, and most of them support killing half of us. Facts are facts.

We The People are ONLY dependent on China, because many many decades ago, our government officials and billionaires and industry moguls comprised backroom trade deals for cheap labor with China, out of pure greed, and have made us (and the rest of the world) nearly completely dependent on them as a source of cheap labor and products ever since.

I would also clarify that I have no issue with the Chinese people, most of whom are just trying to enjoy life same as we are, the issue I have with China is the communist party who desires to control the people and strip away freedom from them and the rest of the world (that is their goal). There are also communist companies here in the United States - companies like Apple, Google, Facebook, etc. who wish to control the products we purchase, if Apple offered a USA made iPhone I'd buy it, but I'd rather not give any of my money to Apple or Google; however iOS and Android pretty much rule 98% of phones out there so what choice do we have - there are a few companies who have monopolized the mobile phone and mobile OS market and they dictate what the vast majority of the market can purchase. After 2020 and J6 I realized (should have realized much earlier) that Big Tech created all kinds of dependencies on the American people that they could control and hence, stop or manipulate at any time. So while it is almost impossible to not have Chinese produced products in our lives, I try my best to not purchase those products in support of the communist party (and yes, I do see almost any purchase from "made in China" to be in support of our enemy - again, the enemy not being the Chinese people in general but with the CCP), if there are options, I try my best to purchase products made in a non-communist controlled country.

Will I buy a product from China, yes - if it is an absolute need and no other alternatives exist. I switched to T-Mobile last year, I looked for any other phone that did not have Apple or Google or iOS or Android OS, I could not find any - it is extremely frustrating when you feel forced to buy products because certain companies have killed the competition. If I could resurrect my Palm Pilot from the '90's I would, or my Blackberry from the 2000's... Thankfully with scopes, we do have options.

Will I bash any Chinese scope as worthless and useless, no I will not, that is not the point, the Chinese are fully capable of making top quality products, but traditionally that is not what we've used Chinese labor for - China has always been about "make it fast and make it cheap" and why, because the American consumer has blindly demanded it.

All that being said, I just bought and Athlon Helos BTR 2-12x42 (made in China) because I couldn't find anything else like it in the FFP MPVO class that had a similar magnification and a reticle I liked, I am curious how I will like the AHMR2 Mil reticle and will let you know what I think of the optic overall after I get a little time with it. If there was an option made in the Philippines or Malaysia I would have chosen that, but I could find no other option. I should note Trijicon has their Credo 2-10x36 (made in Japan) that was very tempting but issues with their reticle being too fine at low magnification caused me pass.

If ZCO, March, Schmidt, NF or Vortex made anything remotely similar to a 2-12 I would jump all over that, but it's got to have the right reticle that is usable at bottom and not too thick at high magnification. So a cheap Chinese $500 optic from Athlon is what I'm left with (for now) and I'll be curious how it performs, for the price point I'm not expecting much but hoping it impresses and punches above its class.

Reactions: rhsc and FuhQ
All that being said, I just bought and Athlon Helos BTR 2-12x42 (made in China) because I couldn't find anything else like it in the FFP MPVO class that had a similar magnification and a reticle I liked, I am curious how I will like the AHMR2 Mil reticle and will let you know what I think of the optic overall after I get a little time with it. If there was an option made in the Philippines or Malaysia I would have chosen that, but I could find no other option. I should note Trijicon has their Credo 2-10x36 (made in Japan) that was very tempting but issues with their reticle being too fine at low magnification caused me pass.

If ZCO, March, Schmidt, NF or Vortex made anything remotely similar to a 2-12 I would jump all over that, but it's got to have the right reticle that is usable at bottom and not too thick at high magnification. So a cheap Chinese $500 optic from Athlon is what I'm left with (for now) and I'll be curious how it performs, for the price point I'm not expecting much but hoping it impresses and punches above its class.

Initial impressions? That's the other main one I'm looking at.

I would also clarify that I have no issue with the Chinese people, most of whom are just trying to enjoy life same as we are, the issue I have with China is the communist party who desires to control the people and strip away freedom from them and the rest of the world (that is their goal). There are also communist companies here in the United States - companies like Apple, Google, Facebook, etc. who wish to control the products we purchase, if Apple offered a USA made iPhone I'd buy it, but I'd rather not give any of my money to Apple or Google; however iOS and Android pretty much rule 98% of phones out there so what choice do we have - there are a few companies who have monopolized the mobile phone and mobile OS market and they dictate what the vast majority of the market can purchase. After 2020 and J6 I realized (should have realized much earlier) that Big Tech created all kinds of dependencies on the American people that they could control and hence, stop or manipulate at any time. So while it is almost impossible to not have Chinese produced products in our lives, I try my best to not purchase those products in support of the communist party (and yes, I do see almost any purchase from "made in China" to be in support of our enemy - again, the enemy not being the Chinese people in general but with the CCP), if there are options, I try my best to purchase products made in a non-communist controlled country.

Will I buy a product from China, yes - if it is an absolute need and no other alternatives exist. I switched to T-Mobile last year, I looked for any other phone that did not have Apple or Google or iOS or Android OS, I could not find any - it is extremely frustrating when you feel forced to buy products because certain companies have killed the competition. If I could resurrect my Palm Pilot from the '90's I would, or my Blackberry from the 2000's... Thankfully with scopes, we do have options.

Will I bash any Chinese scope as worthless and useless, no I will not, that is not the point, the Chinese are fully capable of making top quality products, but traditionally that is not what we've used Chinese labor for - China has always been about "make it fast and make it cheap" and why, because the American consumer has blindly demanded it.

Agreed. I have nothing against anyone of any race or color or country, but I agree that I do not wish to support totalitarian dictatorships, mob-rule countries, and evil religion based cultures that promote harming of others that don't agree with them or what their religion or culture says. But like you said, in most things these days, capitalist monopolies have created and secured our dependence on cheap foreign labor. I don't like it anymore than anyone else, but by me not buying something, isn't going to solve that problem. Like I said before. the only way to stop it, is to shut down the ports to those countries, and use only imports from allies. Our government and the big corps will never allow that... They're making WAY too much money off those other countries' cheap labor.

That said, I would MUCH rather buy American when I can, but sadly, nobody offers scopes made in America (or an allied country) that fit that profile of what I'm looking for, at an affordable price. I'd love to be able to afford an S&B, ZCO, or TT for every rifle I own, but that ain't happening unless I won the lottery, or I end up making 6 figures a year...Doubt that will happen either, with the speed of unbridled dementia that "Brandon" is fucking everything up.

Buy that PST gen 2 from eurooptic if you can afford it, if not then the Sightron imo. The reticle is perfectly useable for the PST. Weight, FOV, Illumination and reticle at low power may be considerations to continue to keep in mind. Good luck

Reactions: BigBabyMoses06
One of my rifles is running a Vixen 4-16x44. It's fully made and assembled in Japan AFAIK. About $400 in the US.

It is not without its drawback. I find the eyebox to be small past 8x and I have to play around with parallelex past 10x. Capped windage and elevation.

The upside is that it is bright for a budget 44mm, no leaks, no weird cracks.

It was my choice for a low budget, good glass, no features scope.

Eurooptic also has a deal on the PST II 3-15x44 (and they are a Hide supporter)

I've had the PST II 3-15x44 and really liked it, it performed really well optically for the price and it is made in the Philippines to boot (y)

There is nothing wrong with these scopes, they have older reticles that are probably on blow out so if the reticle works for you I would not hesitate to recommend, I had the PST II on hand when I did my Tract Toric review a few years ago:

I've had the PST II 3-15x44 and really liked it, it performed really well optically for the price and it is made in the Philippines to boot (y)

There is nothing wrong with these scopes, they have older reticles that are probably on blow out so if the reticle works for you I would not hesitate to recommend, I had the PST II on hand when I did my Tract Toric review a few years ago:

^ that was what I was going to post, TON of scope for the money, I have one on my 22 and it’s great, got its bigger brother 25x on my 308.

Reactions: Glassaholic

Picked up 2 of these exact scopes for my brother in laws at that price, really an outstanding value.

Isn't the allure of the Arken scopes gone and dead, now that they have increased the prices, and will be increasing them again in April?

Anyway, looks like the Sitron and PST Gen II are what you are after. And again I'll throw the Bushy Match Pro into the mix, but I might be biased as I have 2. I think those Vipers would do phenomenal for you, and now this thread has me wanting a Sightron lol.
If you can stand his antics, Cyclops Joe has a good review on the bushy.

oK9m51Xl.jpg

8FLM3HHl.jpg

Also great throw lever for the PST II, they Ofcourse also make good flip caps

I like Aadland's stuff (y) Also, Tyler at MK Machining (Hide supporter) also has nice throw levers and caps

Is the PST 3-15 $100 better than the Sightron?
I haven't looked through the Sightron, but the PST gen 2 3-15 is used a considerable amounts and held in high regard. The Sightron is talked about/recommended much less. Not hard evidence by any stretch, but I think for the price I would go PST it was my money. Maybe someone has used both on here. I would check Doug's best price on the Sightron as well.

Reactions: TurboTrout
Isn't the allure of the Arken scopes gone and dead, now that they have increased the prices, and will be increasing them again in April?
The prices on their website are still the same right now... Just checked. What are they supposed to go up to in April? How much of an increase? All I've heard is "they're going up", but nobody has posted how much they will be increasing. If it's $50, then that's not really a big deal, but if it's $100 or $150, then yeah, I'll spend my money elsewhere.

Still in the box, I have 11 other scopes sitting all over my office I'm going through right now, hope to get it out sometime soon 🤪
Just out of curiosity, have you tested any of the Arkens? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on them, as far as glass and tracking goes. And see where they land compared to others. I trust your opinion to be honest and unbiased. 👍🏼

Just out of curiosity, have you tested any of the Arkens? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on them, as far as glass and tracking goes. And see where they land compared to others.
I have no plans for the Arken, the Athlon is an outlier for other reasons - more for comparison to a scope I cannot yet talk about.
I trust your opinion to be honest and unbiased. 👍🏼
As I tell everyone, we are all biased, but I try my best to share my bias' so you can make your own judgement ;) I like innovation and I like premium glass, but I also like scopes that punch above their class so every now and then I will try out something new if it piques my interest. Right now I'm trying to wrap up a review of an eclectic bunch of long range optics so will try to get to some others soon.

Reactions: FuhQ
I have no plans for the Arken, the Athlon is an outlier for other reasons - more for comparison to a scope I cannot yet talk about.

As I tell everyone, we are all biased, but I try my best to share my bias' so you can make your own judgement ;) I like innovation and I like premium glass, but I also like scopes that punch above their class so every now and then I will try out something new if it piques my interest. Right now I'm trying to wrap up a review of an eclectic bunch of long range optics so will try to get to some others soon.
Oh not fair, haha...I'm assuming it's going to be something in the 2-12 range though... :)

My buddy just picked up the helos gen 2 2-12, he’s very pleased with it, nice compact scope perfect for ar platforms.
I’m probably going to pick one up.

Reactions: Glassaholic