sub 500$ red dot

jLorenzo

Sergeant
PX Member
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
Im very familiar with magnified optics, not so much red dots. Thinking Holosun, possibly primary arms. A used Aim point or Eotech would be cool though. going on a 10.5 AR. any recommendations for which models specifically should be considered?

Romeo458

That Guy
PX Member
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2019
NEIA
Aimpoint pro is right in your price range depending on where you look. I picked up mine brand new for $400 bucks on sale.

NateSavannah

Sergeant of the Hide
PX Member
Minuteman
  • May 25, 2020
    Georgia
    www.None.com
    if youre gonna throw a magnifier behind it an eotech, pick your favorite flavor in your price range.
    if youre not gonna throw a magnifier behind it an aimpoint. Pro is a great option at the price point.

545riflefan

Private
    Minuteman
    Jul 27, 2020
    Ohio
    Aimpoint Pro gets my vote with your stated budget. Aimpoint micros if you can find them used in your budget.
    In the past I have owned the lesser priced China clones but they have all had issues that I just got tired of dealing with.

Reactions: jLorenzo

Strykervet

Lanolin Lube 4U
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Jun 5, 2011
    Pierce County, WA
    EoTech, MRO, T1/H1, ACOG 1.5x... EoTech is the fastest one, 3x ACOG is what I put on my 11.5 though.

I agree, fuck Chinese optics. China might be great for making some shit but not optics. Be your luck some asshole in China got a smoking deal on Cesium and decided to use that instead of Tritium to release a new "super bright blue" illuminated sight...

koshkin

Dark Lord Of Optics
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Feb 22, 2006
    New Mexico
    www.opticsthoughts.com
    No not right now. Just need something that's going to work and be reasonably robust.

Higher end Holosuns are very nice indeed. I have a couple of Holosun made red dots sights with ACSS reticle from Primary Arms and I am quite impressed with what they offer for the money.

Sig Romeo 4H or 4T is also worth looking at and they are assembled in the US. I plan to do a review of one shortly.

Shield SIS is a very nice compact option that, I think, and it is right around $500. British SAS claims that they switched from Aimpoint to Shield because it proved to be more durable in their tests. I have no way to check it, but I have had a Shield SIS for a few years and trust it enough to have on my HD carbine.

If you are OK with a shorter battery life of holographics, Vortex UH-1 is absolutely excellent. In terms of speed on target, I think holographics do have a slight edge and UH-1 is a bit cheaper than EOTech with slightly longer battery life. I have both Gen1 and Gen2 versions and they have given me exactly zero issues.

ILya

erwos

Unorganized Militiaman
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jan 27, 2014
    For $500, I'd be looking an Aimpoint PRO, Trijicon MRO, Sig Romeo4/6/8, or Vortex UH-1 Gen2 depending on your particular parameters. You have a lot of good options at that price point, much more so than the < $300 crew.

striped1

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Dec 30, 2010
    Howard Lake, MN
    Higher end Holosuns are very nice indeed. I have a couple of Holosun made red dots sights with ACSS reticle from Primary Arms and I am quite impressed with what they offer for the money.

Sig Romeo 4H or 4T is also worth looking at and they are assembled in the US. I plan to do a review of one shortly.

Shield SIS is a very nice compact option that, I think, and it is right around $500. British SAS claims that they switched from Aimpoint to Shield because it proved to be more durable in their tests. I have no way to check it, but I have had a Shield SIS for a few years and trust it enough to have on my HD carbine.

If you are OK with a shorter battery life of holographics, Vortex UH-1 is absolutely excellent. In terms of speed on target, I think holographics do have a slight edge and UH-1 is a bit cheaper than EOTech with slightly longer battery life. I have both Gen1 and Gen2 versions and they have given me exactly zero issues.

ILya

I argree on the Holosuns, I am red / green colorblind and a "red" dot doesn't pop for my eyes like the green does. A eotech is entirely too light for me. The green dot holosuns are much better for me.

jLorenzo

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Feb 20, 2017
    Which Holosuns have the ACSS specifically?

ILya

Odysseus1911

Piled higher and Deeper
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Feb 14, 2019
    Arkansas

Agree completely. I have the HS503G on my 8" 300blk. The ACSS reticle is fantastic.

koshkin

Dark Lord Of Optics
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Feb 22, 2006
    New Mexico
    www.opticsthoughts.com
    Agree completely. I have the HS503G on my 8" 300blk. The ACSS reticle is fantastic.

That's the Paralow, right? I have one set up on my AK and like it a lot. It works well and really shines with a magnifier.

It will be very interesting to see how it stacks up to the Romeo 4T when that one gets here. I've played with the 4T, but have not done a thorough test. I plan to.

ILya

Odysseus1911

Piled higher and Deeper
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Feb 14, 2019
    Arkansas
    That's the Paralow, right? I have one set up on my AK and like it a lot. It works well and really shines with a magnifier.

It will be very interesting to see how it stacks up to the Romeo 4T when that one gets here. I've played with the 4T, but have not done a thorough test. I plan to.

ILya
    Yes, it's the Paralow.