• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sub-forum for Night Vision

christian77

Sergeant
Minuteman
Just a thought, but more and more threads inquiring about NODs are appearing and while they do fall under optics...maybe (throwin' it out there)...a sub-forum for Night Vision would be handy.

Their is more than a handful of us that have NV capability.

***Carry On***

Re: Sub-forum for Night Vision

Is there enough people using and able to afford NV ?

I know yes in the military, and while those guys are always lurking they are not posting due to obviously restrictions and limitations.

So the question is there enough traffic to separate it out from the Optics section ?

+1

There is a lot to know about NV. Now that I own a NV device I am learning more and more about it all the time. I would really appreciate it if there was a place to start specific topics and not clutter up the optics section. I think that NV and IR are hardly the same thing as a regular rifle scope, while there may be some overlapping traits it deserves it's own section.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phlii</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1
I am interested as I have been saving my pennies for an NVD.</div></div>

Interested in talking about it, doesn't justify a separate forum, that is one conversation which can be posted in the optics section.

The question is, does it justify it's own section ? A section needs to bring traffic, not just a few random thoughts.

+1 is sort of meaningless for me in this case...

How about +1 for posting something about it so I can see what kind of interest it has. It has to start somewhere.

I just did quite a bit of research on Night Vision systems before recommending models for my department to purchase. A NV Section would have been useful instead of jumping off to other sites.

Look at it this way. If you make a Night Vision child board to the Optics section and it doesn't get much traffic, it would be a simple matter to kill it and go back to just the optics forum.

Personally I would like to see the optics section broken out into Riflescopes, Binos and Spotting scopes. Or maybe just Riflescopes and observation devices.

You guys don't get it :

Here look what it says:

Sniper's Hide Optics (126 viewing)
Optics Discussion - Scopes, Binoculars, <span style="font-weight: bold">Night Vision,</span> & Related Equipment.

Without discussions to gauge interest there is nothing that justifies creating a sub forum for it, when nobody is talking about it.

+1 is not talking about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont like Topic Stickies, they push everything down and then languish without anything being added. </div></div>
Yeah I deleted my post...everyone types faster than me
smirk.gif

I agree, stickies are kind of a PITA that push the lates greatest threads down.

I would just love to see a dedicated section to NV. Just a shot in the dark...pun intended
grin.gif

No matter what is decided, we always are happy to be here to answer any an all questions relating to NV.

We've assisted a great many folk here on the hide and look forward to whats ahead!

Vic

+1 and heck yeah.

If you dropped the loot on good equipment a place to share thoughts is great.

I don't think a section for night vision would be a bad idea. It would create an area where people with no experience could discuse topics about NV with those who do have experience both in the military, leo, civilian, contractor, manufacturer dept..
I honestly like to keep abreast of new NV technology and their applications.

Just my .02

I'm with doorkicker.

Having posted pictures of some of my equipment, members frequently PM me with questions about NV.

I would like to beef up on my knowledge as well, particularly of IR/ thermal.

Va, not that small a minority of owners but definitely not huge like day optics owners.
I posted a couple pics over the past few years with nv/ir & also got a lot of PM/Q? on gear. Some were pretty polite & simple questions . Along with the usual web.fucktards pulling there badges from the crackerjack box, asking if I stole it.

If anything it would provide education & info. & make them more comfortable to those seeking to take the plunge on there purchase. While discussing the unique problems of gear set-ups and field problems etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor-TNVC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No matter what is decided, we always are happy to be here to answer any an all questions relating to NV.

We've assisted a great many folk here on the hide and look forward to whats ahead!

Vic </div></div>

You have definitely assisted in my education.

Excluding Mil enlisted that stay current with it for a living & the LE crowd that are the small minority from there Trade that use NV .

Another odd thing with a BIG minority of NV users is they are hunters. & there is already a dedicated' Hunting Forum' but you see NV talk Q&A in the hunting forum also .
There are a shitload of guys varmint hunting with NV @ night also. These people know it and have a lot of user gear knowledge

So what I am asking here is, I don't think when you start a NV forum that it will a simple thing but it will take a few branches in NV Q&A discussion. Where do you draw the line when you open the gate ?

would the sub-Forum 'Only' cover the specific product NV of viewing @ a projected image & it's enhancing partner IR supplement . Plus Thermal image .
Or would it cover all the Night vision aids ? . & 'Red-lens' & the newer green focus beams and the like . Even spotlighting with white light flashlight is a Night Vision device .
so would the Night Vision sub-forum encompass 'All' the night-time visual aids ? plus all the Chatter that branches off ' The Night Time Play ' ? Because lets face it. You open-up 'NV' talk It is all about the Night Time and that is half your lives without the sun for shooting .It is all about the night & it is twice as hard shooting in the night not only for equipment Q&A, <span style="font-weight: bold">but also staying-up all night .</span> <span style="font-weight: bold">NV is worse that Bar hopping except without the hangover when the sun comes up .</span>

Frank,
I would like to see it as well. You could also throw in FLIR. I do think you would be suprised at the traffic it will draw. JMO

NV kinda sux when there is little light to amplify.....thermal is way more gratifying....

....it seems that there are about three companies here localy that make different flavors of thermal...some weapons grade. and the technology is progressing to hollywood proportions...(as in un-fucking beleiveable).....

i'm just sayin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NV kinda sux when there is little light to amplify.....thermal is way more gratifying....</div></div>Different uses Bolt...try looking out of a window with thermals...you'll just be staring at your own reflection radiating heat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NV kinda sux when there is little light to amplify </div></div>

More than one way to skin a blind cat and still be 100% passive. Equipment is only 50% of the game, knowing how to force the enemy into engaging something he believes as real, forces him to show his hand first, even if but 2-3 seconds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doorkicker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Different uses Bolt...try looking out of a window with thermals...you'll just be staring at your own reflection radiating heat.</div></div>

+1

There's a time and place for both

RKI's

I was out today to zero, in sunlight. With the D-740 at 100 yards the target was "very" hard to see. I am wondering "if" I could open the front pinhole to the next fraction without causing damage to the tube? I know zeroing in the dark would be the obvious fix, however time doesn't always work out for that.

Lowlight-Thanks for giving this a shot! Damn, another pun!

I don't think i would take a chance of messin up the tube by opening the pin hole on the cover. Could damage tube and void your warranty. Give Victor a call at 909 659-2842 ( TNVC ) he will know for sure.