• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Subaru owners on the hide?

Sebben

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2011
Snellville, GA
So I just stepped into the AR-15 equivalent of vehicles. A 2007 Subaru WRX. Anyone else have a subie?

I bought an 2003 WRX when they first came out, dumped $10K into the car and it was hands down the most fun I have ever had in a car. Other than the constant cel light coming on I had no issues what so ever.

The wife (and myself..secretly) loves her 2010 impreza.....the damn thing just goes wherever you want to and gets 30mpg doing it. I'd have been happier with a WRX but she didnt want a standard............

I drove a Subaru for a long time. I have been considering getting another one they are a blast.

I bought a 2014 Crosstrek for the wife this year fun fucker in the snow. Caught a lot of hell for buying a subaru from my shooting buddys.

LOL Its what the yippies/granolas drive. Im sure he will get on here and give his reasons.lol

Drove a WRX bugeye for awhile and loved it except for trying to get into first gear if the car was moving. They are a lot of fun. I have driven my buddies 2012 STI and love it. If I was going to buy a car it would be a WRX/STI.

I'm looking at getting it to stage 2. ~320 whp

COBB tuning is where it's at if you want to get the Subie in beast mode. The Accesport module, a turbo back exhaust system and an air intake.....you're in business definitely!

WRX #3 for me. 02 WRX, 04 STI and now it's the 2012 STI with COBB stage 2 tune. Tons of fun especially the flat-foot shift and launch control modes.

COBB tuning is where it's at if you want to get the Subie in beast mode. The Accesport module, a turbo back exhaust system and an air intake.....you're in business definitely!

WRX #3 for me. 02 WRX, 04 STI and now it's the 2012 STI with COBB stage 2 tune. Tons of fun especially the flat-foot shift and launch control modes.
I'm running an invidia turbo back exhaust right now. With a k&n filter. Looking at getting a short ram intake, An up pipe, down pipe, and eventually a larger turbo, injectors, fule pump, stage 2 clutch, radiator, and intercooler. And Cobb access port too.

Suspension bushing upgrades, wheels, tires, brakes, and ascetics later.

Want to make a true stage 2. I don't want to go stage 3. It costs way to much and takes the daily driver comfort away.

I thought guns were an expensive hobby. But cars are a different story lol.

I'm running an invidia turbo back exhaust right now. With a k&n filter. Looking at getting a short ram intake, An up pipe, down pipe, and eventually a larger turbo, injectors, fule pump, stage 2 clutch, radiator, and intercooler. And Cobb access port too.

Suspension bushing upgrades, wheels, tires, brakes, and ascetics later.

Want to make a true stage 2. I don't want to go stage 3. It costs way to much and takes the daily driver comfort away.

I thought guns were an expensive hobby. But cars are a different story lol.

You think guns and cars are a pricey hobby? Try high end audio. The picture below is a phono cartridge which is about the size of the first section of you pinky finger. Weighs about 5 grams. Costs $15,000. thats just for the cartridge...then you need a tonearm, turntable, phonostage, preamp, amps and speakers, not to mention cables. Systems can run $200K and up easily.

ACLAMCGOLDFINGER.jpg

My ears are already fucked by shoddily built super -loud car stereos and guns........that thing would be a giant waste of money:D

Sebben, buy the Accasport immediately! It has stage one for your car as it sits right now and a stage two for the other mods. If you really want it to run tip-top you can get a good shop with the programmer to hook it up for you or spend the cheese for the programming and DIY.

The immediate gains(huge difference!) you will see and the flexibility to tweak it later make it a must have. Oh yeah, did I mention the flat foot shifting and launch control? set RPM's in 100rpm increments to have it hold rpm right where you want it with throttle and clutch smashed on launch and in between shifts. Purist drivers may poo-poo this but I'm having a ton of fun with it without accidentally red-lining the crap out of my poor car.

Best $600 I've spent in a very long time

Buy it now!COBB Tuning - Subaru WRX :D

My Legacy with EJ22 has 1/4 million miles and is going strong. Everything works, A/C, cruise, power mirrors etc etc. All its needed aside from routine wear items (brakes, tires, clutch, etc etc) was a rear wheel bearing.

Great cars.

If you're an engine guy, you can DIY recalibrate your ECU for ~$100. The ROMRaider forums are like the snipershide of the DIY tuning world.

Cobb is good for a generic cookie cutter calibration that improves things over OEM, but with knowledge and research, you can do a way better job yourself.

Last edited:
I used to have a Subaru shop. Had 3 Subaru's(05 WRX, 06 STI, 08 STI). 06 STI was the most built with rotated turbo GT30/35(large 30 hot side, 35 cold side), FMIC, meth injection, twin disk clutch, headers, coilovers, huge swaybars, 2 piece rotors, etc... Put down 500 on a Mustang dyno which are known to read low. Was ready for the motor to blow(had a spare block that was built and ready to go in), but the meth injection kept things fairly cool and knock in check. Would spin all 4 tires when the turbo spooled at 70 mph. Almost scary to drive if you werent used to it.

I would love to build another one, but for the cost there are a ton of other vehicles that are better in stock form. For what a new STI runs(40k+) you can get into a 2-3 year old vette. Now you dont have AWD in a Vette, but it does everything else better, stock. After my 08 STI got totaled after 3 months of owning it I stepped into an 07 vette.

I have been looking to get the wife an outback or forester. Been looking for a few months now. She is excited about it and it should fit the family travel bill for a while

Jake
Bought one when my wife was Pregnant with our daughter. Good cars, reliable, and very safe. After years of running car accidents on a very busy part of I70 west of Denver (Lezbaru is the official car here) I was impressed with how well they did in an accident. They were in crashes due to poor driving and simple statistics as there are so many of them here, not the cars fault. Not perfect, but imao, as good as it gets for the money.
Only have 80K on it but am very happy. A beast in the snow with Nokians on it.

Got a used Forester for the wife--unstoppable in the snow, nice to drive. Only problem was in finding a used one that had less than 150000 miles on it--people in upstate NY keep them until the wheels fall off! Only problem is mice somehow got in, but a trap fixes that.

Yeah, real reliable. I have an 2008 legacy with 2.5 l EJ25 motor with 61k on it and a blown head gasket. I've been dealing with a 20+ year Subaru tech and his exact quote was that the EJ25 was head gasket eating a piece of garbage and Subaru knows it. Great company to deal with too. My first and last subbie.

Here's the wife's car. 2014 STI. She wanted a four door (kiddo), manual, something that's good in the snow and fun to drive.

Attachments

• i-q6XmtKM-L.jpg
    i-q6XmtKM-L.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 18
Love my 2010 outback. Bought it with a hitch and tow my drift boat around and get over 25+ mpg. My truck (2006 Dodge 1500 4x4 Heme) is lucky to get 18 mpg with no load. I bought this car new and have 118K with no brake downs.:D

Yeah, real reliable. I have an 2008 legacy with 2.5 l EJ25 motor with 61k on it and a blown head gasket. I've been dealing with a 20+ year Subaru tech and his exact quote was that the EJ25 was head gasket eating a piece of garbage and Subaru knows it. Great company to deal with too. My first and last subbie.

This is true...the naturally aspirated EJ25s are bad on head gaskets. To honestly fix the problem you need to have the block and heads decked by a Rottler machine to a mirror-like finish, use MLS-gaskets and ARP bolts or studs.

Of course, the subie dealer doesn't do any of this. They just slap new gaskets in there and wait for you to come back again in 25k-100k miles more.

The old EJ22 and EJ20 turbocharged engines did not have the issue. I doubt the new FA does, but its too early to tell.

this thread is gayer than a sack of dicks

James run the specs for a wrx sti price included vs any other car price included and do a cost benefit analysis. Yes cars are are gay compared to trucks with 2xfer cases and lockers front and rear, but at least with subaru's you can get 50/50 torque distribution and limited slips in both ends.

I have a legacy limited and its decked out in options & is amazing in the snow! Big fan of Subaru! After this last winter i'll never go back. The all semetrical AWD is hard to beat!

So I just stepped into the AR-15 equivalent of vehicles. A 2007 Subaru WRX. Anyone else have a subie?