• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Subjective bad light test: 2xS&B vs. 1xKahlesK vs. Philippino Vortex vs. Chinese Vector

ptosis

Maniacal nitpick
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2014
Switzerland
In the recent years very decent optics got much more affordable. I have always been very conservative, as far as optics go -- bought expensive, proven models, and kept them for a long time. But since quite some time I started wondering whether high-end models available here in Europe are worth the extra money for my applications.

To answer this question, I have put a few scopes to a [totally unscientific] test, specifically concentrated on ELD and bad light (low sun in the face, twilight).

Hope it can prove useful to others.

nice write up, but i'm more impressed with your view of the valley. Beautiful

nice write up, but i'm more impressed with your view of the valley. Beautiful
Thanks! It is beautiful indeed, wish I could spend more time there (I live in the suburbs in lowlands, much less spectacular).

Last edited:
Nicely performed comparison. I'm surprised at the poor showing of your S&B PMII 3-12x50. Have you considered sending it back to the manufacturer to have them check it for defects?

Nicely performed comparison. I'm surprised at the poor showing of your S&B PMII 3-12x50. Have you considered sending it back to the manufacturer to have them check it for defects?
The SB 3-12x did not actually perform poorly -- it's still excellent optics, totally bulletproof. I have mine for maybe 7-8 years, and I have shot with many other such scopes (it is one of the most popular models in our parts, since the army has adopted it around the turn of the century). For the parasite light elimination, I don't think it is this specific scope which has a problem, but would rather suspect a general design "feature".

Well, the 3-12 being an older design, maybe it's expecting too much for it to outperform some of the better scopes that are coming out of China and the Phillipines these days. (y)

Reactions: ptosis