• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Submitting paperwork within 24 months of previous approval

lead ƒarmer

Gun Loving Redneck
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2010
Prosser, WA
I am having a hard time researching this question because it is difficult to get the exact wording. My situation:
I bought a suppressor via trust and was approved earlier this year, March if I am remembering correctly. When this first 41f ruling bullshit first went into effect I remember hearing that if you had an approval via trust in the preceding 24 months, something about not needing to turn in all of the same paperwork for your next application. But I can't remember what it is. Anybody know what I'm getting at?

Last edited:
I know the approval number for form 1 is good for 6 months, if one were to get trapped in BGC limbo, ATF could use this number to push the app through. I dont know anything about trust, or bypassing an application though.

That would make a lot of sense, but has not been the case for me. I’ve bought 1-2 suppressors every year for the last 10 years, and every one has served a full jail sentence, even after 41F.

Reactions: craigos
I got a bridge to sell you ;)
Ok sorry guys, I can see now how that reads, and it is not the way I meant it to. What I meant is some PART of the next application wasn't needed if you already had an approval within the last year or two. I guess I need to proof-read better and I have edited the original post to clarify my question.

Reactions: VanJoe
I have always been under the impression that each NFA item is treated individually; and therefor a complete set of required documents/fingerprint cards/photos would be required for every item. Trust or not.

Also, I have found that the ATF NFA office is reasonable and will answer any questions you have if you just give them a call and tell them you have a question.

Reactions: AMGtuned
Don’t quote me on this but I seem to remember that if you had an existing trust and were adding items to it that you did not need to provide updated fingerprints and pictures if all responsible persons on the trust had been updated during the prior twelve months of the new application date.

I’ve heard something around those lines a fire times but not 100% if it’s true or not. I know the last few cans I ordered. I ordered 3 at the same time. And then another 2 about 3 months later. The first 3 took 9-10 months but the other 2 came about a month later. Those second 2 were both from the same examiner who’s was one of the examiners on the first 3. So he must have recognized the name on the trust and realized he already approved me for something and put them thru. Seems like that would be a logical situation.

Here's the final rule for 41F published by the ATF: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/r...nsible-persons-trust-or-legal-entity/download

Within that document, this is all I could find regarding documentation requirements for multiples submissions within a specific time-frame:

Amendments to §479.85, where the transferee is a partnership, company, association, trust, or corporation, proposed to:
1. Provide that the transferee must be identified on the Form 4 application by the name and exact location of the place of business, including the name of the county in which the business is located or, in the case of a trust, the address where the firearm is to be located. In the case of two or more locations, the address shown must be the principal place of business (or principal office, in the case of a corporation) or, in the case of a trust, the principal address at which the firearm is to be located;
2. Require the transferee to attach to the application: • Documentation evidencing the existence and validity of the entity, which includes complete and unredacted copies of partnership agreements, articles of incorporation, corporate registration, declarations of trust, with any trust schedules, attachments, exhibits, and enclosures; however, if the entity has had an application approved as a maker or transferee within the preceding 24 months, and there had been no change to the documentation previously provided, including the responsible person information, the entity may provide a certification that the information has not changed since the prior approval and must identify the application for which the documentation had been submitted by form number, serial number, and date approved;

Reactions: lead ƒarmer

PERFECT! Thank you @Kayl

Sooooooo you don't have to re-submit trust or legal entity documents, but what about responsible persons forms, fingerprints, and photos?

PERFECT! Thank you @Kayl

Sooooooo you don't have to re-submit trust or legal entity documents, but what about responsible persons forms, fingerprints, and photos?

I haven't used the exception, but my understanding is that everything else has to be submitted like normal.

If it was me, I’d submit it all. My theory is that it gives them no reason to deny it.

Reactions: Holliday
Thanks guys! That was the info I was looking for. I was hoping to skip the fingerprint/photo step, but looks like I'm out of luck. I guess the only potential benefit is possibly saving a little time by allowing the examiner to skip the trust review process? But it has the potential drawback of another form that could have one tiny thing out of place and be rejected. I may just submit everything like normal, not sure yet.

Reactions: COprecisionhunter