• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Subsonic 12 Gauge Slugs

jphil108

Private
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2010
I'll start off by saying this is purely theoretical, I don't really have the time for night hunting and I don't yet own a suppresor, I'm looking to see if anybody else has tried this out. I've been running energy numbers for subsonic rounds and all of the popular stuff is pretty underwhelming, I have both a 308 and a 300 BLK but at sub velocities even with 240 grain pills you're talking 5-600 ft-lbs at the muzzle and less down range. I know shot placement is key but with all of the variables that come up hunting, especially at night and the cost of projectiles that expand at low velocities, it seems that a 30 caliber projectile is less than ideal.

Obviously if staying subsonic, the velocity is fixed at less than 1100 fps so the only way to increase energy is to increase mass, I've seen people building dedicated rifles in 458 socom or 45-70 to shoot 600 grain soup cans but since I already have a shotgun and slug barrels are pretty cheap, I was wondering if anyone here had experience with loading 1 1/8 oz slugs at low velocity to achieve the same effects? I have a shotshell loader that came with the house (also got a pool table, whole other topic) but I dont have any load data to start out with.

I have poked around online hoping that someone In a rifle restrictive state would have messed with this and I've only really found a few articles from American rifleman that seemed pretty vague. Anybody with first-hand experience?