• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Subsonic .17HMR

Re: Subsonic .17HMR

If was looking for sarcasm i would have saved the question for my wife..

So back to the original question--

Does anyone make .17HMR subsonic??

pellet rifle is the job fixer. The point of 17 was a flatter shooting, higher velocity round. SS ammo is effective with heavy bullets, 17 is not a heavy bullet.

17gr spitzer @1000fps would likely kill very poorly, merely dissecting through tissue without much damage. Probably not stable in flight , either.

.177 pellets up to 10gr or .22 pellets up to 29gr (run-of-the-mill .22 pellets 12-14gr) from 600fps (.22) to 800-900fps(.177) ought to do anything a 38ft/lb .174 spitzer can do on small pests.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frog5215</div><div class="ubbcode-body">17gr spitzer @1000fps would likely kill very poorly, merely dissecting through tissue without much damage. Probably not stable in flight , either.

.177 pellets up to 10gr or .22 pellets up to 29gr (run-of-the-mill .22 pellets 12-14gr) from 600fps (.22) to 800-900fps(.177) ought to do anything a 38ft/lb .174 spitzer can do on small pests.

</div></div>

900 fps is all your pellet rifle can get you?

Notwithstanding advertising hype, most "1000fps air rifles" don't get anything like that speed with pellets of useful weight.

Those velocities are achieved with the lightest available pellets in the caliber in question.

Wind drift of airgun pellets make .22LR look like .50BMG by comparison.

Generally, powerful springers produce more energy with heavy for caliber pellets, which drift much less, penetrate deeper, are more accurate, and even reduce twang in the gun.

Precharged guns are even more benefitted by heavy-for-caliber pellets.

Why do you ask?

Ever spent much time with an air rifle and a chronograph?

Large bore air rifles are a completely different subject.

Are you serious? Im gonna go with the first guys response. Go 22lr or go buy yourself a wal mart pellet gun.

A subsonic 17HMR? What would be the point of the round in sub form? Its famous for being incredibly fast and its penetrating power. if you bumped it down to around 1000 fps you would have a better chance killing the "critters" with a pellet gun, no joke.

Discharging a weapon should not be done in restricted areas.

I would hope thats not what your trying to get around....

PMP, how far and what pests are you controlling?

For short range, Remington CeeBees or CCI CB Longs offer a 29gr bullet @ 725fps or so, good to 25-30yd in some guns, and pretty quiet from a rifle. Digital Dan on RFC regularly pacifies feral pigs at ranges up to 10-15yd with CB Shorts from a Contender Carbine so chambered(same load, Short case).

For REALLY short range work, Aguila Super Colibris run a 20gr conical @ 500fps, but accuracy can be pretty poor over 10-15yd.

Either of these are quieter than a PCP of the same or lower power,; the Colibris are at least as quiet as a powerful springer.

Farther, any match or standard velocity or subsonic labeled round will be lethal as far as you can hit the head or chest of the beast, and the longer the barrel, the quieter it will be.

The ss .22lr is a fine choice for most situations. However,almost any "pest" can be controlled without the use of a firearm if the conditions require that. Precharged pneumatic (pcp) air rifles can deliver up to 500+ fpe at ss velocity.

Might be justification for another toy!

A 500ft/lb air rifle is NOT going to be quiet.
At a recent shoot an attendee used a .50 Dragonslayer.
Unsurprisingly, it sounded not unlike light .45 BCP loads.

I'll second the note about Super Colibri ammo.

It's significantly quieter than my spring powered air rifle, however it only penetrates about 3/16" of pine and accuracy at 1oy was 1.5" groups from a rifle that routinely shoots those sized groups at 100y with bulk 22 ammo.

I have taken 2 squirrels with it inside of 15y and it doesn't even pass through, perfect stuff for if you need to take out something small and quiet.

Well I'll tell the story this way..If my dog was running the neighborhood shitting in peoples yards and pissing on the cars the humane sociaty would be catching my and dog charging me to get him back..RIGHT!! Well my 68K boat has smelled like cat piss for the last time.. The boat is covered and for the life of me I cant figure out how they get in..I had two of the suckers laying on my patio furniture yesterday like they owned the place...My air rifle is damn near as loud as my .17HMR..Went down today and got a .22LR and some subs..Problem should be solved with a few days..And yes calls to BOTH my neighbor and the humane society have fallen on deaf ears..Thanks for the advice..Plus I got a new toy out of the deal..WIN/WIN I guess..

Paintball gun.

Dont get in trouble by killing some little girls cat. Not that the cat didnt deserve it, but some people really like their cats.

Paintball gun will hurt the cat bad, and will at the very least bruis a rib. Plus it leaves a non-bloody mark that says keep your cat inside.

Dude, Nuke a piece of cotto salami in the micro til its sizzlin. Toss it in the back or side yard, wherever you can get away with it. Zip that sucker with a well placed arrow/broadhead combo and forget about it. Works best on the night before trash pick up, if you hear what im saying.

My neighborhood is so over run with coyotes that I thought they would catch up with my little furry friends but that seems to be taking to long..Atleast the yotes stay out of my boat..LOL

That boat is reserved for Mrs. PMP for picture takin. Get some of the Aguila 60gr. SSS 22lr ammo it does great. What are your cross streets out west.?

I dislike cats very much, IMO they're on the same line as a misquito. I had 3 feral cats living under my shed, 2 adults, and a kitten. 3 shots, 3 dead cats, all head shots, and all were in a trash bag and inside the house before anyone could turn a head, off the the dump in a couple days.

When you go to take the shot, just remember to think about where the bullet is going to go after it passes through. The way around that is to use CCI segmented subsonic HP's like I did. No exits.

Branden

CB Longs quiet as could be.. The impact was louder than the gun report..Great penetration!!

TIM3GUN--Only pussy on my boat isn't of the feline or furry type..LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYSHOOTER338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A subsonic 17HMR? What would be the point of the round in sub form? Its famous for being incredibly fast and its penetrating power. if you bumped it down to around 1000 fps you would have a better chance killing the "critters" with a pellet gun, no joke.</div></div>

I have to agree with everything above.

Here kitty, kitty, kitty!

Elmers10-22.jpg

I've heard that Tylanol is toxic to cats. Mix some in a can of tuna and you should be in business.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KRAKER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've heard that Tylanol is toxic to cats. Mix some in a can of tuna and you should be in business. </div></div>

Cats aren't the only thing that eats tunafish left outside though. Poisoning animals like that is something I don't do. Not because I have something against killing cats, but because I don't want someone's dog getting it.