• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Subsonic 300 BO hunting ammo?

186thFCo

Private
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2017
what do people like to use for 300 BO subsonic ammo for hunting hogs, I'll be down in Alabama in August for a hunt.

thanks

I have not found subs adequate for hog hunting. Great if there is only one, just shoot it in the head. After that, follow up shots rarely do the job. I much prefer and AR-15 with quality bullets. I shoot it supressed as well. Alot of fun when there are numbers. Others my disagree, just my experience.

have you looked at the Hornady 190g Sub-X?

I keep those in my .300blk "truck gun"

haven't hunted with them, but might be worth a look for you.

hunting with subs is akin to bow hunting, if you expect rifle results you will be very disappointed......lots of tracking is involved with any shot but a head shot

Reactions: tansinator
have you looked at the Hornady 190g Sub-X?

I keep those in my .300blk "truck gun"

haven't hunted with them, but might be worth a look for you.

I just saw these as well, I'm going to pick up some and try them out.
I won't be shooting any great distances, every time I go on this hunt I've only been shooting 50 yards, maybe a little further so that's why I want to give subsonic rounds a try, maybe shoot one in the head without having the others run off.

Also take a look at Lehigh Defense, they make a couple different bullets strictly for subsonic use in the .300 Blackout. Shot some of the 170gr Controlled Fracturing bullets out of a 30-06 with trailboss loads and the impact on jugs was pretty impressive.

Attachments

• 9E4B1D5F-179C-4E71-A79E-21CA72AF39FB.png
    9E4B1D5F-179C-4E71-A79E-21CA72AF39FB.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 46
  • 9300DF98-8F5E-4CDC-9743-DCB1E1CF5280.png
    9300DF98-8F5E-4CDC-9743-DCB1E1CF5280.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 45
Have killed 4 hogs with Lehigh defence 194 grain subs. It opens up like a broad head and hogs die but may run up to 40 yards if a lung shot.

Have killed 4 hogs with Lehigh defence 194 grain subs. It opens up like a broad head and hogs die but may run up to 40 yards if a lung shot.
Concur. 2 whitetail on the ground from these. Great performance.

Considering the rather slow velocity bleed off of subsonic projectiles I would say that it’s about as far as your comfortable in your shot placement.

Reactions: XL Mammal
I was at 30-50yds. Treated it like a bow shot and the result was similar. 100yds is as far as I’d feel comfortable due to trajectory. With a 50yd zero, the drop from 100-200 is somewhere around 40.” No bueno when using an Aimpoint.

hunting with subs is akin to bow hunting, if you expect rifle results you will be very disappointed......lots of tracking is involved with any shot but a head shot

Only if you use a specially designed bullet like the Leigh which can have some real expansion at sub velocities. Otherwise it's more akin to shooting animals with field points, which is about the most cruel way to go about it. A real broadhead opens a 1.25" hole.

Reactions: XL Mammal
Most of my hogs were shot at 75 yards with lehigh subs. My grandson shot a nice doe at 45 yards which dropped on the spot with the same subsonic load.

Reactions: Sniperwannabee