• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Subsonic 308 1-12 Twist

callen3615

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2010
Peidmont, NC
Soliciting advice for 308 subsonic loads for a specific rifle of mine. Cut down 18" Remington SPS 1-12 twist rate. I have an Omega 300 in jail that should be free in a few months. The barrel is not threaded. I am trying to figure out if it is worth getting threaded, or should I just rebarrel it to a faster twist rate. I dont foresee me shooting subsonic loads very much, but it would be nice to have a 100 yard and in hunting setup that is quiet. I handload 168-178 bergers and hornadys for it, it doesnt seem to have any issues stabilizing the 178s, but thats at @2500 FPS, 1000FPS will be another story.

Thanks for the help

I am only guessing based on my 18” 1:10 and the fact that I shoot a lot of 308 subs, so take this for the price you paid for it.

I would get the 168’s or some 175’s going about 1050 and see what happens. For me, and the 175 RDF’s I use, that’s about 10.3gr of trail boss. I usually shoot 125TNT’s as my go to. I like seeing a 308 going 3k FPS for some reason. Anyways, that means my come up with subs at 100 is about 3.3 mils. At 200, it is 8-ish. Don’t have my dope in front of me. I have shot up to 200gr ELD-X’s, but they didn’t group well. They did stabilize though just fine. 190SMK’s shoot really good, I’m just out of them right now. Moral of the story, if my 1:10 will stabilize up to a 200gr bullet, I gotta believe your 1:12 will shoot a 175 just fine at sub speeds. I’d grab a box of 175 SMK’s and a box of 175 sub-x’s and see what happens. All you can do is test it. Without the can on first, of course.

I kind of figured that is the response I would get. I do not have an excuse to not try it. I have plenty of 175 SMK’s laying around. Are you loading them tip out? any buffer in the case? Thanks

I would look to the 160gr FTX for subbing.

Soliciting advice for 308 subsonic loads for a specific rifle of mine. Cut down 18" Remington SPS 1-12 twist rate. I have an Omega 300 in jail that should be free in a few months. The barrel is not threaded. I am trying to figure out if it is worth getting threaded, or should I just rebarrel it to a faster twist rate. I dont foresee me shooting subsonic loads very much, but it would be nice to have a 100 yard and in hunting setup that is quiet. I handload 168-178 bergers and hornadys for it, it doesnt seem to have any issues stabilizing the 178s, but thats at @2500 FPS, 1000FPS will be another story.

Thanks for the help
A 12 twist is plenty for most anything 175gr & under for 100 yds & in. Worked a load for a buds AI using the 175smk and Trail boss years ago, and 1/4 moa was easily achieved at 100. At about 150yds a 175smk in a 12 twist will start going end over end. Funny to watch in the glass as it travels on to a 250yd target. Your 12 twist will work to 400 yds+ if you use a round nose. I shoot a 217 Lyman cast @ 1080 Mv and she will do 600 nose on w/o issue, but now I'm using a 10 twist in a 16.5" tube. The farthest I shot a 12 as norm was 500 but I shit canned that stick for this new lite one. Have no doubt the 12 will do the same thing.

A dedicated lite 308 sub gun is a handy tool, when it can be used day or night.

Thanks for the help

I run subs in a 1:10 twist not a problem.

The most difficult part is finding powder.

The most difficult part is finding powder.
I switched to fast pistol & shotgun powders long, long ago & they work perfect. Though double charging could happen if you're not careful. While getting small SD & ES numbers is much harder with jacketed, not so with cast. If you gas check them you can switch back & forth w/o issue if need be.

I switched to fast pistol & shotgun powders long, long ago & they work perfect. Though double charging could happen if you're not careful. While getting small SD & ES numbers is much harder with jacketed, not so with cast. If you gas check them you can switch back & forth w/o issue if need be.

I’m not the guy asking questions. Lol

My load is 8SD with TB

Understand, but TB dried up around here long ago the reason many of us switched.
You tell no lies. What powder are you guys using now?

Here’s an email a buddy got back on Dec 22

They claim it’s going to return but not anytime soon 😩

5F720C47-712D-480B-AE38-BDCBD38A6C81.png

What powder are you guys using now?

😩

View attachment 8374084
For general use on steel its Red Dot, as it meters well in most throwers. For one & done 700X for most of us, but it meters like shit. When using 700X most of us are using a lee dipper then tricking up, almost as fast as a thrower. A few are using Clays or Silhouette. I like Bullseye as well. Most all do 700X past 400 & and everyone does past 500 to 600
The 217gr cast many shoot, has as much retained energy at 600 as a 38 special at the muzzle, but requires 93 +/- moa over a 100yd zero.