• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Subsonic .308 grouping

Black-X

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2006
Kentucky
Shot these yesterday with my Remington 700p chopped to 22", no suppressor. Group on the left (3 lower shots, the 2 up top were to check for stability up close) is TTi 170gr, next are reloads as follows: 170gr Hornady 30-30 bullet, 10.4gr trailboss (10.2, 10.0, then 9.8 left to right), FGMM large rifle primer, 2x FGMM case. The wind was rediculously high gusting every direction all day and all were shot at 100yds.

I don't have a chrono and my suppressor is getting worked on. Anyways, looking at the drops I think 10.4grs seems to be very close to the TTi and also grouped pretty good (accidentally blew the target off when I shot the 2 close shots). If these are subsonic, is this about as good as it gets? Should I be trying for smaller groups? And also the 170's are hard to find right now.. Would it be wise to keep looking or maybe try out some of the 180gr bullets?

Thanks,

-X

Re: Subsonic .308 grouping

Try that load with some high quality cast bullets seated to engage the lands. should give you 1-1.5 moa groups in calm air @100

While I have no doubt that's a great suggestion from an accuracy standpoint, I don't think he wants to fill his suppressor with lead.

The vaporizid lead will accumulate in the suppresor.
Non user servicable .22 cans have this problem, usally after thousands of rounds.

I think if you used wheelweight metal, it would be far less of an issue as it us a lot harder than 22 RF

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MLC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While I have no doubt that's a great suggestion from an accuracy standpoint, I don't think he wants to fill his suppressor with lead. </div></div>

I do appreciate the input but MLC is right, I don't want to have to worry about lead buildup in my centerfire can. I've see .22 cans get loaded up with lead.

-X

That's the same as I get with Trailboss. I get better groups with 8.0 gr. of Titegroup. Loads with that powder, thrown from my polished Dillon dispenser, produce smaller groups than loads hand trickled with 10.x gr. of Trailboss. See my post in this thread:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=468230

Also, try WLR primers. I've been experimenting with various magnum and non-magnum primers, and for some reason the groups really shrink with WLRs. Might have something to do with all of the WW powders being ball powders...

I just ran some through my .308 remmy, 20" barrel,with cyclone k.
This my 100yrd group with 10.0grs of trailboss in front of 168smk with wlr primers in hornady match brass.
HPIM1692.jpg
HPIM1691.jpg

That's the same as I get with Trailboss. Try Titegroup.