• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Subsonic 308 project

madd0c

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2010
South Carolina
Had tried to shoot subsonic loads through a rifle that wasn't built for it, and was never able to get it to do what I wanted it to do. I could get the subsonic part right, but the 1-11.5" twist just couldn't stabilize a suitable projectile at those slow speeds. Had major instability and keyholing at 100yards.

Sooo... I decided to make a project rifle, nothing particularly ground breaking here, but it was fun anyway.

Got the finished rifle back this week and took it to the range today.

Rifle without the suprerssor:
IMG_0544.jpg

Supressor on:
IMG_0551.jpg

tab cover:
IMG_0547.jpg

Specs:
Rem700 action
AI stock
18" AAC M-7 barrel with 1-8 twist
Badger 20 MOA scope base
SAS supressor

I was working up a load with the Lapua 200gr subsonic bullets and Trailboss powder. After setting up paper at 10 and 50 yards and making sure there was no keyholing with my various charge weights at those ranges, I put the supressor on.

Found that 10.8gr trailboss was putting me right at around 1040fps and was not transonic. Very quiet, no hearing protection required.

It was putting up about 1.5" five shot groups at 100 with no keyholing (Ok, not amazing but decent for a subsonic .308 I figured) but then I decided to stretch it out to 300 yards just to see how it did. It really did well with about a 4" five shot grouping at 300. 12.5 mils of elevation and a 1.5-2 second time of flight.

Overall a fun project, and I am very pleased with the results. Subsonic seems to work for me much better with the right barrel for the job.

madd0c

Re: Subsonic 308 project

With a 1:8" twist you should try the 240gr SMK (.658BC when fired below 1800fps).