• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

subsonic 308. test see what you all think

1979brj

Private
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2011
south carolina
16.5 inch barrel 1:12 twist. 308
remington 700, diferent yards. did not shoot for groups, just checking bullet stability. in the past 3 months waitng on suppressor approval, probably loaded and shot close to 500 rouonds testing subsonics. The round nose 150 to 170 grains do great no stability issues at all. see what you all think about these bullets.

bullet 165 hpbt sierra (2140)

8 yards. 10 rouds. holes look ok to me i think.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B8Kt5_E...list&num=50

25 yards 3 rounds ( little unstable )

100 yards ( not to good)

would you shoot them through your suppressor, since they look good at very close range.. i really like these bullets they group around 2 inches at 100. and since they are barely stable they should tumble when hit target.. just a thought.

using trail boss powder

thanks again.

Re: subsonic 308. test see what you all think

i would also like to know what kind of groups you all are getting at 100 yards with your subs. looks like 1 inch or less is going to be hard to get. for me anyways

If you want to do well with subsonic's, your gonna need a heavier bullet, to shoot a heavier bullet your gonna need more twist.
Last week I shot a 6 inch steel twice at almost 500yds with 210 Berger VLD's. They do very well.

coldbore:

thanks for the post.. yea i been looking for another barrel. what twist is yours and who made the barrel. ive had a hard time finding aftermarket 1:9 - 1:7 twist barrels. (love the rife / barrel in your post)

but for now going to stick with my 1:12 till funds allow. what did you think of the photos. to risky to shoot through my suppessor. (762sd) pending since june

Using the AAC Rem 700, I have been loading the 220RN Sierra's with 12.2gn of Trail Boss. CCI-200 primer. LC Brass. The AAC has a 1/10"tw bbl at 20". They seem to run pretty even at 1036 fps over the Chrony.

Here is one group from 50yds.
AACgroup.jpg

That is .22LR casing in the picture for comparison.

thanks for the info and pics.. i currently preping some brass.. going to load some more of the 150 gran round nose for my 12 twist..

Based on the phots would you shoot those rounds through your suppressor..

I wouldn't shoot them because they look like shit, if at 8 yds they are stable (looks like it) then I dont think you should have a problem with baffle strikes. HOWEVER, they dont look very good/accurate/consistent. So I'd keep looking for a better performing bullet/load.
From your pics at farther ranges it looks like they are un-stable, while up close they look ok, so again you shouldn't have any problems with baffle strikes. But whats the point if they shoot crummy at a modest range like 100yds?

thanks again.. just loaded 50 150g, and 50 170g. all round nose.. will test and post some pics..

coldboremiracle: how much scope adjustmet you need for 500 yards.. i know at 100 yards mine was +12 MOA from my standard loads..

that is great. i sure as hell know i dont i have that much adjustment.. I have several sub. ready to try.. thanks for the all the post,,

o shit, i just used all my trail boss powder..

For a 220 gn SS at 500, you no longer measure your come ups in minutes. Instead, switch over to hours...maybe even days.
smile.gif

Seriously though, you will need a lot of room to adjust to go that far out. May look at a 30 moa base.

got a 20moa base..

(Instead, switch over to hours...maybe even days)

i like that.. and that is very true

Sounds about what I was getting. I used my 260 Subs and 160RN's to shoot balloons at 400 and it took me 75 MOA, 91 MOA at 500yd. I was already out of elevation, backed from 22 to 11x on the NF and reaching with the reticle.

It was pretty cool to shoot, watch the copper glint in the scope into the target and see it just disappear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huckelberry75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For a 220 gn SS at 500, you no longer measure your come ups in minutes. Instead, switch over to hours...maybe even days.
smile.gif

Seriously though, you will need a lot of room to adjust to go that far out. May look at a 30 moa base. </div></div>

That's funny, but not accurate. MOA = minute of angle = 1/60 of a degree. So 87 MOA = 1 degree 27 minutes.

OK.

100 yards 150g sierra round nose (2135)
9.5g T.B. seated to the cannelure

getting better. 5 shots, this was about the average.

subs.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1979brj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK.

100 yards 150g sierra round nose (2135)
9.5g T.B. seated to the cannelure

getting better. 5 shots, this was about the average.

subs.jpg
</div></div>

Question.. While waiting on Stamp I worked up some subs. (above) they were running about 1020 - 1030 without suppressor attached.. I finally received my stamp and shot yesterday and my subs all "cracked”. Will a suppressor increase FPS.. It looks like it or maybe my Chronograph readings were off during testing. Anyone else see the results?

I have switch from TB to 700X an enjoy that change. Also switched from 180 an 220 Sierra Pro-hunters to a Lyman 187 cast I used as a do all for years. The cast needs less up, less powder, less prep, an groups were cut, well under moa now. One stick has is 12/T Pac-Nor the other a 10 T AAC-SD. The Pac-Nor is lights above the AAC, but both are more than capable of getting the job done.
I believe the cast over all, is a much more consistent round.
Running nothing but Hornady gas checks now, as they have a locking feature built in. The Lymans I've used sense 1957, are designed to exit the bullet after the muzzle, bad juju for a can. A lesson best read about, not experienced.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1979brj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Question.. While waiting on Stamp I worked up some subs. (above) they were running about 1020 - 1030 without suppressor attached.. I finally received my stamp and shot yesterday and my subs all "cracked”. Will a suppressor increase FPS.. It looks like it or maybe my Chronograph readings were off during testing. Anyone else see the results? </div></div>
The increase w/ or w/o a can with nothing but subs is so small I doubt you could measure it. Just load past the crack an start reducing until it stops, then reduce another 3-4% you should be fine. As long as groups are OK. The crack was most likely there all along, but your A/O may not have allowed you to pick it up before it was gone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: colt933</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huckelberry75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For a 220 gn SS at 500, you no longer measure your come ups in minutes. Instead, switch over to hours...maybe even days.
smile.gif

Seriously though, you will need a lot of room to adjust to go that far out. May look at a 30 moa base. </div></div>

That's funny, but not accurate. MOA = minute of angle = 1/60 of a degree. So 87 MOA = 1 degree 27 minutes. </div></div>

Yes Yes, I know. I was making light humor, not scientifically accurate Nerd humor. Thank you for the correction.