• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Subsonic 308 w/ AA5744?

AJBello

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2008
Salem, OR
I just got my suppressor and would like to work up some subsonic loads (.308). While I was in the sporting goods store yesterday I did a quick search on my phone and found some people recommending AA5744. This happened to be one of the few powders they had in stock, so I grabbed 2 lbs. It looks like many folks are using trailboss as well, but they didn't have that anyway, so I got what I got.

All that said, does anyone here have any experience or starting load recommendations for the 5744? I've found two references on different sites, but would really feel more comfortable with more input when I go to pull the trigger the first time! I can find many references with people suggesting the 5744 for sub / reduced loads, but am having difficulty finding some hard numbers to start at. The one reference I found states 12 gr. for a 220 gr bullet, link: 308 subsonic - Quarterbore's Forums .

So, here's the components I'm looking at using:

Nosler brass

Winchester WLRM primers - I also read magnum primers are preferred for sub loads, please correct me if not.

220 gr Hornady RN - I know these may be a bit heavy for my 1:12 FN SPR barrel, but they are actually a little shorter OAL than the 175 SMKs I normally shoot, so I'd like to at least try them and see if they'll stabilize.

AA5744 powder - At this point I'm considering loading 5 each at 15 gr, 14, 13, and 12... and seeing what numbers I get for velocity. Are these safe numbers to try? I can't find any numbers for sub loads in either of my loading books, so this whole process is a little nerve racking for me. I've tried to research it online quite a bit, but the internet is the internet and I don't trust all the numbers sometimes. If anyone can offer any input, it is much appreciated!
grin.gif

Re: Subsonic 308 w/ AA5744?

Give Trailboss a try....10 grains pushing a 180 rn and you are good to go. The 220 may not stabelize in a 1:12....I would be cautious...