• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Subsonic 45-70 load data.

cast1

Polyhobbyism sufferer
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2011
Hey guys. I can’t seem to find any published load data for the 410 subx projo in 45-70.

Anybody have anything?

12.0 gr Unique and a 405gr cast RNFP gives 1050 fps in my 18.5” barrel
I know it’s a lead bullet and not jacketed but here’s some more info that might be helpful

Reactions: Jgunner
Hey guys. I can’t seem to find any published load data for the 410 subx projo in 45-70.

Anybody have anything?
Realize this thread is a bit old but I'm going down this rabbit hole as well since the 410 sub x seems to

A.) Perform well
B.) Is available and for reasonable prices

Some problems -

A.) Hornady uses shorter length brass to accomdate the flex tips and still run it in lever guns. So if you're running a lever gun (like I am) you'll have to trim your normal brass to hornady's specs to get it to cylce.
B.) Hornady doesn't publish their subsonic load data because they're using a blend of powders to achieve what they want.
C.) Finding common subsonic powders for this cartridge right now (Tin star, unique, trailboss) is quite difficult.

I've read some people having success with Accurate 5744 - and I have several pounds of that lying around, so I'm going to try and cook up something.

Hornady has published accurate loads for the 410 subx - but only down to 1300 FPS. Assuming they're running a 24" barrel - this load might already by subsonic out of a shorter barrel, or close to it: https://static.hornady.media/site/hornady/files/load-data/45-70-government-trap-door-410gr-sub-x.pdf

Accuarte has a published trap door load with 24.3g of 5744 pushing a 405 lead flat nose 1,394fps out of a 24" barrel - so using that as a minimum charge weight seems reasonable - but I don't think you'll have to get anywhere near that low.

I plan on starting with the 30.3 gr hornady load, and working down to subsonic from there.

I'll update if it works out.

Another option besides the more common reduced load powders is a very fast burning pistol powder like Bullseye or Red Dot, or a fluffy shotgun powder. You will be in your own for load workup. I have used Red Dot and Bullseye in 300 Blackout for exceptionally quiet loads. There are subsonic load recipes floating around for powders like this but they are vintage and not easy to find. I don't think the powders themselves have changed much though.

I wish I had a 45/70 I would love to do some experimentation with this.

This is exactly what I did in the 300 BLK and 308 Win.

Another option besides the more common reduced load powders is a very fast burning pistol powder like Bullseye or Red Dot, or a fluffy shotgun powder. You will be in your own for load workup. I have used Red Dot and Bullseye in 300 Blackout for exceptionally quiet loads. There are subsonic load recipes floating around for powders like this but they are vintage and not easy to find. I don't think the powders themselves have changed much though.

I wish I had a 45/70 I would love to do some experimentation with this.
There's a bunch of load data for those pistol powders here: http://gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm