• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Subsonic 50bmg

Re: Subsonic 50bmg

Wicked quiet Jimmy! Can't imagine the energy that subsonic 690 grain slug must still have downrange.

Impressive. Less noisy than my 510 whisper. The longer barrel and large can certainly helps. I use 27-30 grains of H110 in the much smaller 510 whisper case. I would be interested in knowing what velocity you are getting with only 35 grains of pistol powder in the larger bmg brass. I'm willing to bet that you will need more to get it up to 1000 fps. But that is just a guess.

You put any on paper? I wonder how well the bullets are stablized with the 1-15(?) twist. Any keyholeing? I assume you are not getting any baffle strikes?

Ranb

Rand -I hope to shoot some paper and crono soon.

rolling thunder-The cases are "stock" with just powder and bullets. Everything seems to be stabilized.

Do not forget the chrono results.
smile.gif

Ranb

Pulled my reloading notes for 50bmg Red Dot
55gr 1392fps No signs of pressure
50gr 1307fps
45gr 1225fps
40gr 1163fps
35gr 1008fps
30gr 830fps Did not seal neck
33.5gr 952fps Neck has good seal

<span style="font-weight: bold">This is the load data I used.</span>

Wow, I am suprised at the velocity vs charge weight. Jimmy, are you anywhere near denver? I have been following your threads on silencertalk. I would really like to take a look at your silencers if you don't mind showing them off. I am deciding on materials for mine right now as I wait on the form 1's. If you happen to be going out shooting anytime soon on a weekend I would be happy to come out and hear them in person.

I ran the load through QuickLOAD and it showed a shot start pressure to high. It would only show data at the 48 grains. I am dying to give this a shot with my Windrunner. Just don't want to blow anything up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ran the load through QuickLOAD and it showed a shot start pressure to high. It would only show data at the 48 grains. I am dying to give this a shot with my Windrunner. Just don't want to blow anything up. </div></div>

What suppressor are you using?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ran the load through QuickLOAD and it showed a shot start pressure to high. It would only show data at the 48 grains. I am dying to give this a shot with my Windrunner. Just don't want to blow anything up.
_____</div></div>
Mechanic I haven't had any pressure signs like sticky bolt, flattened primers,etc.and my suppressor barely gets hot!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jimmy are you using the 55gr load? </div></div>

Probably not since that's listed as being quite supersonic. It would make sense that he's between 35 and 40gr.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jimmy are you using the 55gr load? </div></div>

Probably not since that's listed as being quite supersonic. It would make sense that he's between 35 and 40gr. </div></div>

Good point. I was not thinking clearly as i typed. I need lunch before I fall over....
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ran the load through QuickLOAD and it showed a shot start pressure to high. It would only show data at the 48 grains. I am dying to give this a shot with my Windrunner. Just don't want to blow anything up. </div></div>

What suppressor are you using? </div></div>
Don't have a suppressor (Kalifornia does not trust anyone). Just thought that a light recoiling semi quite (one set of earplugs) would be kinda neat.
I have a range I am going to try locally and was thinking if I make a bunch of these up they may just let the .50 shoot.
smile.gif

I thought the 50 BMG was a no go in Cali? It's still going to be loud.....

? Why would I want to do that? I have a can.
Just kidding you......I don't know.

+1 on the shooting in Denver area if we could possibly watch/hear you shoot? WOuld be a real pleasure.
Anyways, some targets would be nice.

Thanks,
DT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D_TROS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on the shooting in Denver area if we could possibly watch/hear you shoot? WOuld be a real pleasure.
Anyways, some targets would be nice.

Thanks,
DT </div></div>
Im smelling a meet and greet/silencer shoot! I will bring some full autos.

Any idea how far your shooting those subsonics Jimmy? I got some subs from Extreme Shock today. They are quiet but barely make it 350 yards. The guy who makes them claimed he can shoot a 9" group at 1000 yards. he would have to have a CRAZY ass scope set up to achieve that and they would barely punch the paper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> he would have to have a CRAZY ass scope set up to achieve that and they would barely punch the paper. </div></div>

while I have not used my whisper at 1k I have shot it out to 800. You would be surprised how much energy a subsonic 750gr bullet still retains at 1k- over twice what a 175gr supersonic 308 can deliver. A 510 with a muzzle velocity of 1060 will still be traveling 900fps at 1k and will deliver over 1300 ft-lbs on target. Hell it delivers almost as much as my 338LM shooting 250 lapuas. There are few scopes that will give the needed elevation- You will need about 44 mils to get there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dksd39</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> he would have to have a CRAZY ass scope set up to achieve that and they would barely punch the paper. </div></div>

while I have not used my whisper at 1k I have shot if out to 800. You would be surprised how much energy a subsonic 750gr bullet still retains at 1k- over twice what a 175gr supersonic 308 can deliver. A 510 with a muzzle velocity of 1060 will still be traveling 900fps at 1k and will deliver over 1300 ft-lbs on target. Hell it delivers almost as much as my 338LM shooting 250 lapuas. There are few scopes that will give the needed elevation- You will need about 44 mils to get there. </div></div>
i have the perfect scope for just that proposition right here... http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2078633

photo-1.jpg

Well I shot thru a crono and it was at an average of 800fps.I'm going to have to bump it up some more to help stabilize it. the lower shot is subsonic and you can see it's not round. I shot 15 of them and they were all like that. No baffle strikes. I then shot a full power round and you can see its round and higher.I think I will try 42 grains.

haha I thought for a second you were going to say the bottom hole was 2 shots!! way cool tho. weird it keyholing, butnot striking the baffels...

There may have been baffle strikes. A dent does not need to appear to have a baffle strike. I would get the velocity up to 1050 fps to maximize stability.

I might have to try some subsonic in my LAR 50 bmg. I have a shorter 950 grain cast bullet that I have shot as slow as 1500 fps without yawing.

Ranb

Oh - I can guarantee Jimmy didn't shoot the round that keyholed through his suppressor. I'm sure he took it off when shooting the lower charges and will be making sure they stabilize before he puts the can back on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ranb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There may have been baffle strikes. A dent does not need to appear to have a baffle strike. I would get the velocity up to 1050 fps to maximize stability.

I might have to try some subsonic in my LAR 50 bmg. I have a shorter 950 grain cast bullet that I have shot as slow as 1500 fps without yawing.

Ranb </div></div>

You must not be shooting suppressed a lot living in Washington? Or do you travel to use them?

That is right, I rarely shoot suppressed and only when I leave the state.

I do have a bit of experience with baffle strikes. I was experimenting with cast bullets in a 510 whisper. Sizing to .512" and using 30 grains of WC820 resulted in too much pressure at only 900 fps. I got 1000 fps without a gas check, but the bullets turned 90 degrees in 25 yards and left a few dents on my front end cap. Sizing to .510" using a gas check solved the pressure and stability problems and greatly improved accuracy.

I have been trying to get the law changed. House bill 1604 would have made an exception for those who own registered silencers. But very few people (gun owners included) are interested in changing the law, so the bill keeps dying in committee. I have been writing lots of letters and made an educational DVD to send to each Rep, but so far it has not made much of an impact. I managed to get two police organizations to say they would take a neutral stance on silencer use though. This might enable the bill to get a hearing in committee next session.

Ranb