• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Subsonic ammo choice

WoobieJ

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2012
West Texas
What’s your favorite subsonic 22LR ammo for accuracy and consistency of actually being subsonic?
Any subsonic ammo that you would avoid?

Shooting a CZ 457 provarmint. I realize all rifles are different, but looking for somewhere to start for ammo testing.

Lapua, SK, and Eley are the most solid choices that I can recommend, Lapua Center-X being my favorite when precision and consistency are desired. SK is easier on the wallet and probably offers the best value for the money, especially for routine range days. Eley, especially black box Match runs great in my CZ and has posted some of the tightest groups ever, rivaling Midas+ for the overall top performer on a given day. Pretty expensive... but once you get spoiled you are spoiled.

Honorable mention is Norma Match (not Tac) which is a relatively new offering, or maybe something they paused on and now have brought back. I find it shoots 4 out of 5 very tight, but almost always 1 minor flyer. Worth experimenting with.

Have fun in the rabbit hole.

Lapua, SK, and Eley are the most solid choices that I can recommend, Lapua Center-X being my favorite when precision and consistency are desired. SK is easier on the wallet and probably offers the best value for the money, especially for routine range days. Eley, especially black box Match runs great in my CZ and has posted some of the tightest groups ever, rivaling Midas+ for the overall top performer on a given day. Pretty expensive... but once you get spoiled you are spoiled.

Honorable mention is Norma Match (not Tac) which is a relatively new offering, or maybe something they paused on and now have brought back. I find it shoots 4 out of 5 very tight, but almost always 1 minor flyer. Worth experimenting with.

Have fun in the rabbit hole.
Thank you I appreciate it I’ll check those out

I don't particularly enjoy shooting groups on paper, so can't answer the accuracy part. But loads labeled SV vary between are not subsonic to some rounds are not supersonic. I mostly shoot SV stuff due to cost, but would stick with subsonic if equal price. By subsonic I'm talking 1050ish fps, not the super weak "quiet" rounds.

Subsonic

Reactions: WoobieJ
Just tested out about 8 different types of subsonic ammo in my bergara. 40gr aguila subs were hands down the best.

10 shots at 30m

received_1583158118821591.jpeg

Gemtech produced the best SD from the ones I tried out of a 14.4” BA CL barrel in an AR upper. I haven’t chrono’d SV, Lapua or Eley from that barrel.
671DE8FF-6D9A-47C1-A12B-04BC0CE026E4.jpeg
D14CE9EF-FC3B-49F6-95F7-3211F099DDC3.jpeg
34CC641C-655A-4AA7-A360-ACD4CBA8E5E4.jpeg

6E364E01-9237-429F-B467-FBFD8E4329F3.jpeg

Bulk pack plinking? CCI Standard Velocity.

Hunting? CCI Segmented HP 1050 FPS, or Quiet Seg HP 710 FPS.
I'll take TAC22 over CCI SV, only based on price. But to the original point, I have yet to find an SV that is subsonic in all weather conditions, 100% of the rounds in a box. Would like to find an actual Subsonic round at TAC22 prices, about $340/case at the moment.

Looks like you can’t buy the 40 gr subs from Aguila at all. They’re sold out most places I’ve looked
Your Google-fu is weak Grasshopper. It just isn't at my price point.

Your Google-fu is weak Grasshopper. It just isn't at my price point.

Haha Thanks!