• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Subsonic ammo

dhom

Private
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2020
I am asking the people who BR [test] their rifle for certain ammo's that shoot well, is there one ammo that you always use because it performs well for you? Lets limit the ammo to SK costing less than Lapua and Eley less than black box. I am also talking about over the counter 22 rimfire such as CZ'S, Tikka, and Bergara etc. I realize some people are shooting just about anything they can get at this time. If you could get what you want, is there one ammo you would always buy? [no matter the lot #]

I've had good results with SK Standard Plus. However the vertical dispersion seems to be greater than that of Center-X at 200+ yards.

is there one ammo that you always use because it performs well

No. :(
What performs well from my last delivery, often doesn't from my next purchase of the same brand.
I blame it on variations in components and differences in tolerances during production at the factory.
This month it's SK Biathlon. The month before it was Eley Match. Next month it might be Midas+.
Same rifle and setup, simply variations in cartridge quality. The chronograph confirms the results on target.

is there one ammo that you always use because it performs well

No. :(
What performs well from my last delivery, often doesn't from my next purchase of the same brand.
I blame it on variations in components and differences in tolerances during production at the factory.
This month it's SK Biathlon. The month before it was Eley Match. Next month it might be Midas+.
Same rifle and setup, simply variations in cartridge quality. The chronograph confirms the results on target.
He's right🥴

I am going to differ with Justin on this. I realize he has a lot of data. I do not document my results like he does.
What I see is that my Winchester Mod 52's seem to shoot about any lot of Eley Match or Eley Tenex quite well.
Under .35-.4" at 50 yards and under 1" at 100 yards for two to three consective 5 shot groups.
I do not shoot 50 or 100 shot groups as my attention span is short.
Other ammo is higly variable and some is consistantly bad.

I shoot a CZ 457 MTR in ARA bench rest competition, factory class.
Of the ammo you are referring to, I'd say that SK Rifle match would -in general- be the best bet for the most accurate ammo in the rifle brands you mentioned.

However, there's a "but."
In my opinion, it's not about the brand, it's about the lot number. You can get a lot number of any brand of ammo that shoots lights out, yet another lot number of that same ammo just doesn't perform. I think SK Rifle Match may be the best brand for mid-priced ammo, but different lots of it give different performance.

Pay attention to what J. Amateur has said, he's shot enough of every conceivable type of .22 ammo and has the data to back up the claims he's made.

I started shooting bench rest this year with two bricks of outstanding SK Rifle Match of the same lot number which shot really well in any of my rimfire rifles, and did pretty well with that ammo. But I've been able to pick up a few bricks of Tenex of the same lot number, and it does better. But if your shooting outdoors like I am, and you want your best scores, learn how to read the wind. Good wind calls are just as important as good ammo.

Last edited:
I will challange anyone to send me a sealed, undamaged box of Eley Tenex and I will shoot 3 consecitive 5 shot groups on one target at 50 yards and 3 at 100 yards. Groups will be as I stated above or better. Bring on your worst Tenex. :)
My 52 will eat it up!

29C61017-7395-4DE1-ABD5-C3AAE7ECDD3B.jpeg

I have found SK Standard+ and SK Rifle Match to be the most consistent for the money for the NRL22 game from 100 yards in. When it is found at normal prices it is always worth it for me to buy.

I see what you did there, RT. (y)

Thought I wouldn't figure it out, didn't ya'? :p

Toss out the old challenge so nonchalantly, hoping some dumb idjit would take ya' up on it...:LOL:

Well not this idjit...my Tenex is staying in my stash and you can't have it. No way José. ;)

Thought you could slip one by me, didn't ya'... haf'ta get up purdy early in the morning, eh? :cool:

Justin,
I am sitting on a number of pallets of Tenex, Match and SS HP Eley ammo. Not after your ammo stash.
I will change it up. You send me a box of "bad" Tenex and I will send you two 'good" ones in return along with the groups I post here.

Reactions: Booner1334
My Five CZ’s shoot Center X better than anything else including Tenex, Exact and Midas Plus. Second place is the same for all of them, SK Rifle Match. Third place is a mixture of SK Standard Plus and SK Long Range.

Reactions: RTH1800
Shooters may find that a certain variety of match ammo usually shoots well in a particular rifle. It's important to keep in mind, however, that not all lots of a certain variety will shoot equally well. At the same time, some lots respond very well in some bores, but not as much in others.

This is true for all match ammo behavior, no matter whether its Tenex, Match, Midas + or X-Act. Lot variation occurs with every production run of match ammo. It occurs all the time. It's not a function of whether it's this month or another because the same rigorous quality control goes into each lot. It's simply very, very difficult, despite the most rigorous attention to quality components and manufacturing process, to produce all match ammo that's equally made and equally good . There's no such thing as perfect match ammo. They simply don't respond in barrels the same way. Not all lots shoot equally well in any rifle.

When it was available, this was illustrated by the Eley Lot Analyser. For each lot of ammo produced, Eley made available its test results through four different test barrels. Some lots of Tenex, for example, were better than others, and some shot better in some barrels but not in all others. And not all lots shot with equal consistency through the same barrels.

Below are nine random lots of Eley Tenex. Each column shows ten shot groups with a different barrel. They show how much variation there can be between lots and between barrels -- and even within the same barrel.

Reactions: Booner1334
That’s a cool batch of data! But practically speaking, the bulk of well-agreed-upon and fairly earned wisdom about lot variability boils down to “it depends,” which isn’t particularly helpful these days, unless you can get manufacturer lot testing and buy a case or more. I’m interested in the OP’s question too, because it’s hard enough to find ammo at all, I just wanna maximize my odds of a good ammo-to-rifle fit with no lot testing possible. That means finding out what tends to consistently perform very well (even if it isn’t the best) in rifle’s like mine (CZ 455).

So, comments from @Defender32 and @Appalachian are quite helpful, thanks fellas.

KnowNothing hit the nail on the head. I shoot IR 50/50 and would not chose CCI standard to win a match. So far, and I have shot a lot of ammo, SK+ seems to be the best all round bang for the buck. I have benched at least 35 types of ammo. Without a doubt ammo used in matches has to start with Center X and upwards in Lapua and Eley black box or Tenex. Most other ammo is like Cracker Jacks,,,,a surprise in every box. I have had SK+ shoot consistent .2" and Rifle Match do the same. But, don't count on it. I was hoping one ammo would be mentioned frequently more or less to use to keep my finger on the trigger other than my competition ammo especially my non custom factory rifles.