• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report subsonic ballistics

cinosbus

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2008
St. Charles, MO
If you are comparing 2 different bullets that are identical in BC and Velocity (1050fps), only the weight is different, would a heavier or lighter projectile drop more within 350yds?

All of my ballistic calcs say they would be the same due to B.C., but I have to think they would be different - is weight figured into BC already?

Re: subsonic ballistics

Newton's law says that objects of the same size but different weight will fall at the same rate in a vacuum. Basically at the same velocity the drop will be the same but the momentum, force that the heavier projectile has will strike harder.

If the two bulltes have the same diameter, the heavier bullet will fall less because it will encounter less decceleration from air drag. The BC number is just another coefficient, but used in the relatively same manner as Cd/Cw.
I hope I could claify that, if not ask back.

In general, gravity causes them to fall. Air drag slows them down and gives more time for gravity to act on them within a specified distance to the target. The longer the time that gravity has to work, the farther they drop.
CW

Same muzzle velocity, same BC, same drop.
Same wind deflection also.
As stated above, striking energy and momentum will be different, but the flight characteristics will be identical if the BC's and MV are actually the same.
-Bryan

I love it when a brainiac says I said something correctly. That is me giving you a complement Bryan I think I am also going to jump in on your group buy for your book. Everyone who has read it says it is VERY well done.
Danny
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bryan Litz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Same muzzle velocity, same BC, same drop.
Same wind deflection also.
As stated above, striking energy and momentum will be different, but the flight characteristics will be identical if the BC's and MV are actually the same.
-Bryan</div></div>

Reminds me of: Which weighs more a pound of lead or a pound of feathers!:)