• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Subsonic Load for DPMS 308

Suasponte

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I have looked at all the info I have time to look at! I see Trail boss is good for case capacity and is not position sensitive.

I have every powder at my disposal and primers too.

Rifle is DPMS AR10 16" barrel 1-9 twist with a Gemtech can.

Would like to use 150gr 30-30's, 180gr PSP's and 147gr CBC pull downs.

It appears most of the info I read is for bolt guns.

I am looking at starting at 11.5gr and working down to 9.5gr of trail boss.

Does anyone have a load for a Semi using any of these bullets? 10.5gr of trail boss seems to be the ticket for most but will it cycle a semi?

Thanks in advance!

Terry

Re: Subsonic Load for DPMS 308

few SS loads will cycle a semi 308. There is a thread about twice a month lately on this and the reload depot subforum has a thread dedicated to Ss loads in all caps. That's all the typing I have time for...

I was not looking for a smart ass comment! I looked thru the reload forum! Most of all the loads are for bolts guns! If you do not want to help then keep your comments to yourself!

Terry

I don't think it was a smart ass comment. Perhaps because someone didn't hand you a recipe, you took it that way.

Plenty of .308 SS loads in the depot. What works in one semi will not always work in others. Take the info that you can gain from the SS thread and start working up a load for your rifle.

Yes, I have reveiwed and looked at all that data contained there. My question was a simple one.

Does anyone now of a load that is subsonic and will cycle a 308 semi.

All the load data contianed in the Subsonic thread is for bolt guns!

I did a search for 308 Subsonic loads and did not see anything of great help.

Is not the point of a reloading thread to help each other with reloading issues and point out a particular thread that you may have read. I did search, and did not find what I was looking for therefore I asked the question. If I had known a particular thread that contained info someone was looking I would have posted the link to it not a reply like that.

Terry

Roll off the throttle a little, you asked a very common question and stated you didn't have time (or patience) to search for the answer to that question. I gave you the answer actually

"few SS loads will cycle a 308..." aka you're barking up the wrong tree. Had I given you the absolute "no SS loads will cycle a 308" would you have gotten so wadded up?

I even told you where the thread was located with the information to look at. I didn't post a link because I was reading the forum on my iPod while I was on the exercise bike, what a shame.

Subsonic 308 rounds for an AR almost to a definition will not cycle the action unless you change pieces in the weapon. I have yet to see one without gas system changes.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Brain</span> hit the nail on the head directly. The weapon system you have is worth a solid chunk of change, go invest time in it and see what you can develop yourself. Everyone else here got a starting point and worked on it, that's the nature of such a beast.

I've developed probably two dozen loads for various calibers in SS trim, each one was different and required work.

Here's some real advice, don't just fix on Trail Boss. It's great stuff, but I've found that some calibers like Red Dot and Bullseye better. Reduced capacity cases in 308 with 5 grains of Bullseye is nirvana with 200gr cast lead.

Its a Sua Sponte, Do what I want day ROFL

Sorry, bunch of students from Regiment in my class right now.

When it comes to subsonic, I stay with TTI, since its one of the subsonic loads that Gemtech will repair my can if I have a baffle strike. Ive not shot any of it thru my DPMS, just thru my bolt gun

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Psywar1-0</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its a Sua Sponte, Do what I want day ROFL

Sorry, bunch of students from Regiment in my class right now.

When it comes to subsonic, I stay with TTI, since its one of the subsonic loads that Gemtech will repair my can if I have a baffle strike. Ive not shot any of it thru my DPMS, just thru my bolt gun </div></div>

Luke, you are of completely no help here except in the humor/irony department. Not only highlighting the irony of the screen name in this dilemma, but also adding insult to injury with having only shot the TTI through your bolt gun. Well played.
wink.gif

Well I could have posted the whole song, set to the tune of Maniac Monday, but truth be told, I simply did not wish to engage in Barfcom like antics and simple post "TAG"

A subsonic that will cycle a Mk11 is a very keen interest of mine, but im just not yet ready to jump into that pool of sharks LOL

Still Shooting at Quantico? I miss the people, and the matches, but I dont miss NOVA!

I agree with keeping this highbrow. The opposite is the reason I detest many other sites. Just had to applaud your skill.

Haven't made it to Quantico for a match in a while. Been extremely busy on the homefront and still have the Sunday conflicts. I'm sure the people and matches here are a small sacrifice for the sanity found away from NOVA.

Now, with apologies to <span style="font-weight: bold">suasponte</span>, we now return you to your regularly scheduled topic.

Apologies for swinging at the fence! Having a ruff one with the mother in the hospital now and having just lost my fater a few months ago. I find my temper with work and friends getting short.

I have a friend that worked at the small cal lab at Aberdeen and he his giving me good info. Plus, I have been playing with quick load in what spare time I have. If can get it to work out I will post what I find with chrono's and load info. Have several prospects but need range time to get real world data. Figure I will try a few without the can to make sure they are not tumblers and go from there!

Thanks and forgive my short temperness!

Terry