• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Subsonic Load

gv3rd

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2012
Clanton, AL
I have been reloading for a while, but just recently started loading subsonic ammo. I found a load for my 308 with 10.5gr of trailboss and 180gr rn bullets that chronoed at 1035fps. The load is stable, but not very accurate. Best I got was 1.5" at 100yds. I want to try to improve on this and was wondering if I went up on the powder load and still stayed subsonic if there was any chance of the bulllets not stabilizing. I didn't want to have to shoot another 50 rounds to make sure they are stable before shooting them through my suppressor. Thanks.

I'm sure a more seasoned sub loader will chime in but I'm shooting 10 gr of trailboss under a 150gr rn flat base that gives me pretty much .25 MOA accuracy at 50. At 100 it groups the same but is dropping 10.5 inches from my 50 yard zero. You might try a different bullet or backing down your powder charge a few tenths. is the 180gr a flat base bullet?

Try the Horaday 160 FTX in 30 cal. Very stable for me out to 600 yrds plus a little more aerodynamic

I will order some and give it a try. Are you using trailboss? What twist is your barrel? Mine is 1:12.

I will order some and give it a try. Are you using trailboss? What twist is your barrel? Mine is 1:12.

Yes 9.8 of Trail Boss and its a 1-12 twist out of a 24in barrel . Start your load at 13 gr and work downward in charge by a half grain at a time