• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Subsonic or High Velocity?

Re: Subsonic or High Velocity?

We've had better luck with CCI mini mags past 300 in our short guns. But each gun is different. When I was shooting the paper matches the Wolf Match Target shot best at closer distances but stretched out they went wild.

Son also likes the Mini Mags in his 541 out to 400. Just got to try different ammo and see what your gun likes. We've not had problems with that transition with higher velocity ammo.

Topstrap

transonic barrier destabilizing the bullet - you can search it.

on the windage side - think of the slower speeds of sub / match FPS as driving a van on the interstate in windy conditions. the slower you drive the van, the less it wants to blow off the road. the faster you go, the harder it is to control (or at least consistantly) stay on a true path on the road.

consistancy = accuracy. at 200yds (for that matter any yardage) you need consistancy.

i've had great succes with CCI blazer ammo (HV), but the lower velocity stuff will win out in the long run.

Good thread. I was wondering about whether this Aguila stuff that has an advertised speed of 1750 fps would be better at 100 yds because the speed might help the bullet buck wind. I don't have enough data for the JBM to help me figure it out but it sounds like it might be a step in the wrong the direction.

Is there any range that a hyper velocity round might be more consistent than a subsonic round?

I have a good understanding of ballistics and believed that subsonic was the way to go but I have read about others success with the CCI Mini Mags. I figured this is the best place to get the scoop on it.

Thanks for all of the responses so far. Maybe this will bring more discussion and thought out.

Michael

There's really not that much to think about honestly. I mean, this has been run into the ground over and over so many times and subsonics always come out on top of supersonics. If it was the other way around then the smallbore shooters out there would be using the faster stuff but it isn't that way.

It is odd because it contradicts what many people initially think when they get started in the rimfire addiction. Common sense says that faster is better because with any centerfire round (excluding specific subsonics meant for suppressed shooting etc...) more velocity usually means a longer distance that can be shot at accuratly with that caliber.

Rimfire defies that logic because they have such terrible ballistic coefficients, light bullets, and generally speaking slow velocities (regardless of HV ammo or not they're slow in general) that they drop into he transonic range much sooner than you would imagine. Not that there aren't some exceptios to this, obviously the CCI Mini Mags perform well for many people, but typically the subsonics are just flat out better in general. And I have yet to see proof that supersonics can outperform subsonics out of anyones rifle. Even at close range where speed doesn't matter hardly at all I have yet to see it proved.

My personal gun shoots Winchester Bulk Standard Velocity ammo about the same as it does with Aguila Match subsonics at 50 and 100 yards, very badly. But when switching over to 200 and 300 yards they both fall apart but the Aguila was WAY more consistent. Call it quality or consistency of the ammo if you want or even an unfair comparison but this proved to me that at 100+ the supersonic rounds just get demolished by subsonics. And I have proven this to myself over and over again with several different types of ammo.

Go ahead and disagree if you want but I will ask anyone who disagree's this one simple question: If subsonics aren't better at "long" distance than supersonics, then why do most if not all competitions shooters use subsonics? And more specifically, Eley subsonics? It just flat works better in the long run.

-Dylan

I used to shoot Mini Mags exclusively until I tried Aguila Sub Sonic HP's. Not only are they accurate and consistent but they absolutely stop critters in their tracks. Great target / hunting round out to 100 yards.