• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Subsonics..and reducing noise level

Pickle Rick

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2018
I was shooting some suppressed handload subs this weekend 220gr Berrys, 12.7gr CFE BLK, 1000 fp/s. My buddy handed me some Hornady factory 208gr subs to try and they were quieter than mine. Everything was shot over a chrono. The Hornady was right around 1020 fps as well.

I’m thinking that a lighter bullet would require less powder to reach the same velocity as a heavier bullet, therefore quieter. It could have been just gas in the supressor during some and not the others which I know can affect noise level.

Has anyone fooled around with testing subs to get a more quiet combo? I would assume the difference between subsonics would be minuscule. But it sure sounded quieter.

I was shooting some suppressed handload subs this weekend 220gr Berrys, 12.7gr CFE BLK, 1000 fp/s. My buddy handed me some Hornady factory 208gr subs to try and they were quieter than mine. Everything was shot over a chrono. The Hornady was right around 1020 fps as well.

I’m thinking that a lighter bullet would require less powder to reach the same velocity as a heavier bullet, therefore quieter. It could have been just gas in the supressor during some and not the others which I know can affect noise level.

Has anyone fooled around with testing subs to get a more quiet combo? I would assume the difference between subsonics would be minuscule. But it sure sounded quieter.
I "feel" like cfeblk is louder than h110.
Same bullets, same velocity. It just seems louder.

Reactions: Pickle Rick
Use the fastest burning powder that you can. N110 and H110 are ok. 1680 is pretty loud. I have never tried CFE BLK.

For gas guns you dont have many options. Bolt guns are awesome with subs. Hollywood quiet is a thing.

Reactions: kindabitey
Use the fastest burning powder that you can. N110 and H110 are ok. 1680 is pretty loud. I have never tried CFE BLK.

For gas guns you dont have many options. Bolt guns are awesome with subs. Hollywood quiet is a thing.
Yes, I have my eyes on a bolt gun that I really want.

I have messed around with a few. Factory loaded and hand loaded. Some are just quieter than others. The 200+GR projectiles are def more quiet. Surprisingly the load data for 220gr Sierra was the same as 208gr Hornady with H110 (9.2gr). Of the other testing I’ve done anything sub 1000ft/sec is definitely more quiet.
This is all on a CZ600 trail in 300blk with a Silencerco Scythe.

If you want stupid quiet, try some 150-155 gr. and some VV N320. A1680, Lil Gun, and most of the go to powders that will cycle an AR
are going to louder than a med. weight bullet and a fast pistol powder.