• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Substituting large pistol mag primers for std primers. Yay or nay?

NCHillbilly

Libertata Aut Morte
Minuteman
  • Jul 7, 2012
    The occupied states of America
    Trying to load some .458 socom rounds, and can't find any std large pistol primers around here, but there are a few large pistol mag primers available. Could the mag primers be used if the powder charge was dropped, and the load workup was started with the mags? This primer shortage is driving me nuts. I have always, in the past, been strictly by the book, but looking for alternatives to get me through.

Yes, you can sub mag primers for standard. Just back off the charge a half grain or so and work back up. If you're using ball powder magnum primers will likely be an improvement as ball powder is a bit harder to ignite than stick.
    Only hangfires I ever had were with some M1 loads using ball powder and standard primers.

Pistol primers go in pistol cartridges, rifle primers go in rifle cartridges.

I didn't say SBR or carbines in pistol cals either.

Don't mess around with your own safety. Yes it sucks, but what's one afternoon of plinking when you end up in ER with missing fingers.

------
    Edit
    I reread what you wrote. Yes, you can substitute pistol magnum primers to replace standard pistol primers, as they are designed for pistols. Follow safety and start low, SLOWLY work back up as Lange Carbine suggested.

Reactions: NCHillbilly
    Pistol primers go in pistol cartridges, rifle primers go in rifle cartridges.

I didn't say SBR or carbines in pistol cals either.

Don't mess around with your own safety. Yes it sucks, but what's one afternoon of plinking when you end up in ER with missing fingers.

------
    Edit
    I reread what you wrote. Yes, you can substitute pistol magnum primers to replace standard pistol primers, as they are designed for pistols. Follow safety and start low, SLOWLY work back up as Lange Carbine suggested.
    Why does switching some primers for others mean your going to end up in the hospital. I mean honestly even loading a round with all the CORRECT components could put you in the hospital. Shoot I've seen FACTORY ammo blow-up guns!! That's a pretty bold statement to make honestly. You can swap some back and forth easily and has been done by many people MANY times

Why does switching some primers for others mean your going to end up in the hospital. I mean honestly even loading a round with all the CORRECT components could put you in the hospital. Shoot I've seen FACTORY ammo blow-up guns!! That's a pretty bold statement to make honestly. You can swap some back and forth easily and has been done by many people MANY times
    Huh? You've been a member here for 8+ years and you have to ask why switching primers could land you in the hospital? Or worse.
    Really? Are you serious or just trolling?

No issue using mag pistol primers in normal lpp cartridges. I have no exp w/ 458, but don't know of any reason it'd be a problem. I use win lpp; same primer is rated for sta and mag.

Reactions: NCHillbilly
    Personally, I would stick with normal large pistol primers. But that's me.