• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Success coyote hunting with foxpro?

rulellis

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2018
Does anyone have success with foxpro calls for coyotes? I have a fusion and have never called anything with it. I asked a couple buddies and they never have called in anything with theirs either.

I can call them in with diaphram calls or other mouth calls, but not with this electronic call.

I’m in Indiana and have went on mupltiple trips in good spots and no response from female howls or dying rabbits or anything else.

If you’re wondering why I want to use an electronic call, trying to teach my boy, but I need to talk to him for instructions and can’t talk and call.

If you have success, what are your go to calls on your foxpro?

I've been using a foxpro for a few years and have a few different experiences with it. When they first came out, I bought one and used it with great success. Almost every stand I made, I had at least one coyote come in.

Fast forward a few years and everyone seems to have one now. I have noticed that the coyotes do not respond to calling near as much, especially the typical rabbit distress. I think this is just a matter of the coyotes getting called so much with the same sounds. I actually put the foxpro away for a few months and went strictly to hand calls.

This past week I was talking to a buddy of mine and he said he's been having really good luck with the Female coyote sub sound so I tried it out last night. First spot, I had a coyote come in behind me within 5 minutes of starting the call. I couldn't move so he got away. Moved to a second spot and same thing... 5 minutes, and a coyote was coming in hard! got to 150 yards and put him down.

So the foxpro works... it's just a matter of finding the right sound. I try not to let it play constantly either. I'll start it out quiet, gradually increase the volume and mute it on and off for like 30 seconds increments.

Reactions: Khavic
Use the kinda off the wall stuff too. Jackrabbit and things that are not in your area. Coyotes don't know they aren't native, they just know they are in distress. They are curious a lot more than hungry at times. All the other basics apply such as wind, cover, watch your movement, etc.

Yep, doing great with it. Recently started night hunting with one, fusion, and it works even better.

If they are not responding their getting called too much with those sounds. Pick up some of the new sounds or upgrade to 24 bit sounds and you’ll see a difference because that’s new/different sound from the over used rabbit distress. Also call less but wait longer like sound for 60-90 seconds then 2-3 minutes of silence.

Typically I start with some fox barks, then voles on low volume, goat/fawn/rabbit distress, coyote/fox fight, maybe coyote pup distress.

Reactions: supercorndogs
Thank you all for the input, I will keep working it trying some new sounds. I hunt mostly private land, but not sure how much the people on other properties hunt it.

I think I will download some new sounds and give it a go again.

I’ve used one for several years, by accident I found that a crow fight/ distress works fantastic. Only thing I can think is coyotes know crows are generally weary so the let their guard down when they hear all the crows.

Reactions: deersniper
If you've got any of the coon sounds dont count them out either. Coons are mating the same time yotes are so lost of boars fighting right now which makes easy meals for yotes

The big mature coyotes don't generally come to any electronic rabbit in this neck of the woods. We've had great success calling and killing BIG mature coyotes with Fox distress sounds and also seem to do real well with bird distress. Of course it all depends on the time of the year and what we have been seeing lately. Right now we have an over abundance of crows and have killed several big coyotes by playing crow fights and crow distress. And then some days they come charging right into any noise you can possibly play!

There's lots of sounds I can take or leave but I would not want to be with out fox distress of some kind.

Depends on where you live and the pressure. Easy to call in the young of the year with an e-caller here in central Wyoming. Gets tougher as the season rolls along. I happen to know some of the best competitive coyote hunters in the west and many of them don't even mess with an e-caller after Thanksgiving.

I've used quite a few different FoxPro's, CS-24, Krakatoa, PB, PB-3, ShockWave, and now the X-Wave, with awesome results. The one thing I really REALLY like about Foxpro, is I can record, edit, and play my own sounds through them, that no one else has. I usually upgrade my sound list annually sometimes twice annually even with sounds I know no one else has ever used.

They seem to be responsive to seasonal calls. If it doesn't make sense for the season they might not check it out.

I have a fusion and have called in plenty with it but always have better luck with mouth calls to the point I don’t really use the foxpro much unless calling at night

I have a kittens in distress sound. Works amazing in suburban adjacent areas. Sounds awful. But it sure brings in predators.

Try a coyote locator call at sunset/right after sunset. We will do it with the call on the vehicles roof with us inside and windows down, engine off. The response calls give you an idea of how many yotes are in your area. Then we come back and hunt it later in the week or following week.

I have had plenty of success using a foxpro out at my lease, yotes and bobcats.

Reactions: Simonsza1
I called in 12 this year with my Patriot. 2 in WI, 4 in KS, and the Rest in TX. Lots of luck switching to pup distress for the last 5 min of a set.

Are you playing the sounds continuously or starting and stopping? I only play a series of howls or +-30 secs of distress and then mute it for a few minutes.

Lightning Jack is my top choice for areas that aren't hunted hard. Try a vole or maybe baby rabbit or woodpecker before and after it to entice the shy ones.
Unfortunately, all of my neighbors started using it and now it doesn't work well on some farms.
I rarely used coyote vocals (never worked quite as well for me as dying rabbits) but they seem to remain effective when heavy hunting pressure minimizes the effectiveness of overused prey sounds.
I use pup distress as my last call of the set and on my Fox Bang setting.
I've tried running short and long call sequences and haven't seen a dramatic difference. I usually run the sound 30-90 seconds and leave it off for twice as long. I've seen them watch from a hill for 30+ minutes and never come in to any sound while others have run me over in a matter of seconds.
I've been surprised at the raccoons that have traveled long distances to tackle the caller. Most bail out immediately when they make contact but I had one that was determined to pry the woodpecker out of the box. A high volume pack of coyotes sounds sent him back across the field like he was on fire. (The caller has some scratches but was otherwise undamaged)